[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

9 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Owing to the time of year, would he need to clear waivers first to join the team?  Or is that only for UFAs who sign that played for other leagues during the season?

I could be wrong, in which case, someone will most definitely correct me but I believe because he's just a UFA and not coming from a European league, he doesn't need to clear waivers. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I loved the excitement and the experience he brings but where would he fit other than on PP2 ?

Pressbox and as outlined by Elvis_15, the ability to supplant Suter or Hogs in the top6 to get them going again. He is a great depth piece that would cost us nothing.

At any contract <1.25m, it is a no brainer. The guy brings a ton of exp and is known as being a VERY popular guy in the room. In addition, RT, JR, & PA know EXACTLY what they are getting; he will be nothing but a benefit to our team. Kind of the polar opposite to PLD in LA!

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

is this still a rumour or something that is actually happening?

He's officially working out for the Canucks down in Abby. They announced it. They haven't said that they are actually signing him yet.

I would guess that if his fitness testing goes well and he shows he can still skate at an NHL pace, they will sign him. Otherwise they wouldn't go through the trouble of bringing him in. Keep in mind he's actually always been an above average skater, despite looking like a 40 year old dad!

Edited by Strawbone
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

If he looks good in viewing him out in Abby, he could be an offensive utility forward with the experience he brings. He's not going to bring speed or defensive acumen, but for the $1M+ we'd be signing him for, it might be enough to help if Hoglander or Suter go cold in the top six. And he might be just enough to be worth not trading away assets for someone better. I'll trust Rutherford, Alvin and Tocchet for their judgment on if he can help vs any other options.

Why 1 million plus? he didnt get claimed all season, so why would we pay more than league minimum $750K?

3 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Why 1 million plus? he didnt get claimed all season, so why would we pay more than league minimum $750K?

No kidding, and with his $90M career earnings, I don't see him haggling over an extra couple hundred K.

I think he sees an opportunity here to help (even if just in a small way) another team win a cup. Not many guys get to play on 3 Stanley cup winning teams.

6 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Yeah I think it'll be league minimum.  He's signing with the top team in the league and one of the Cup favourites at this point.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Owing to the time of year, would he need to clear waivers first to join the team?  Or is that only for UFAs who sign that played for other leagues during the season?

If he were playing in another league he would be.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

Players who play in another league at the start of the NHL season have to go through waivers when signed by an NHL team.

For example, Russian goaltender Evgeni Nabokov played the 2010-11 season in the KHL. When he left Russia to return to the NHL, he was hoping to join the Detroit Red Wings. Instead, Nabokov was subject to waivers and was ultimately claimed by the New York Islanders.

• Thanks 1

Assuming Phil the Thrill's play hasn't fallen off a cliff, this signing will make us look that much better. He's pretty much a cheaper, older, and more experienced Kuzmenko who knows what to expect from the coach.

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Kessel

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Mikheyev-Suter-Lafferty

Aman, PDG

or

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pettersson-Lindholm-Kessel

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Mikheyev-Suter-Lafferty

Aman, PDG

PP1

Kessel/Boeser-Lindholm-Miller

Hughes-Pettersson

Edited by Integra250

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Thomas O' Gaibethcalain seems like a real douchebag. 

You know it seems all ,or mist from the east only want them to win and to get get a cup.

Me I do want a Canucks team to win a cup but if it had to be another Canadian team I would like Montreal to win again as they have the most history.

Rest well would like it but wouldn't mean as much to me.

• Vintage 1

Just now, cripplereh said:

You know it seems all ,or mist from the east only want them to win and to get get a cup.

Seems that way.

Just now, cripplereh said:

Me I do want a Canucks team to win a cup but if it had to be another Canadian team I would like Montreal to win again as they have the most history.

I just want to see the Canucks win a Cup. The only other Canadian teams I'd want to see win it (after Vancouver, of course) would be Winnipeg and Ottawa, purely because they never have.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Seems that way.

I just want to see the Canucks win a Cup. The only other Canadian teams I'd want to see win it (after Vancouver, of course) would be Winnipeg and Ottawa, purely because they never have.

I just wish from the start of the NHL had a couple teams from the west and added Vancouver Millionaires we would probably have won a third of the cups as Montreal or more as we were a powerhouse back in the day.

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

I just wish from the start of the NHL had a couple teams from the west and added Vancouver Millionaires we would probably have won a third of the cups as Montreal or more as we were a powerhouse back in the day.

Would have been better if they were called the Canucks back then and not the Millionaires.