[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

So, my take on him bring here is, at this point in the season, there will be teams interested in Phil for scoring depth and experience. 3 cup rings really sat something. 

He's choosing to come here because he believes it's his best shot at one more cup.

If all he does is keep the guys in the room loose and having fun I’ll call it a success. Anything more is just gravy.

We have enough good forwards in Abby now that they can turn to if Kessel no longer has it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Serious question....

After Hughes passes the cup to Kessel, who gets it 3rd? Petey or Miller?

Sounds like you're going in order of height, so I'll say Garland....:classic_cool:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Messier was a top player the season before he came; 84 points in 71 games. The “Thrill” had 36 points in 82 games. 

So, every player needs to have 84 plus points to be useful? Whether lower or no points, players can bring other things to the table. Also, what about depth for the playoffs? What about playoff experience? What about Stanley Cup experience? And, the later 2 will most likely rub off on the team…for now and the future. It takes all kinds of players / experience to make up a team and to win, especially in the playoffs. 

Edited by 88Canuck
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Messier was a top player the season before he came; 84 points in 71 games. The “Thrill” had 36 points in 82 games. 

I know.

I see what’s in it for Phil…but the benefits for the Canucks, at this stage? Not so much.

Is he coaching staff? Will he be prepping & mentoring black aces? Insurance &/or desperation depth piece?  What’s the deal? 

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, viking mama said:

I know.

I see what’s in it for Phil…but the benefits for the Canucks, at this stage? Not so much.

Is he coaching staff? Will he be prepping & mentoring black aces? Insurance &/or desperation depth piece?  What’s the deal? 

Same role as last years cup winners had him for.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Serious question....

After Hughes passes the cup to Kessel, who gets it 3rd? Petey or Miller?

Not sure Kessel would get it second, I could see it being Myers given he'd be the oldest guy on the club winning his first cup 

2 minutes ago, viking mama said:

I know.

Fwd depth

Scoring dept

Stays healthy 

Valuable playoff experience

Doesn't cost any assets

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If all he does is keep the guys in the room loose and having fun I’ll call it a success. Anything more is just gravy.

I think this is a big part of it and Kessel's past with Tochett and their experiences. We are seeing it right now how when EP struggles he is very tough on himself. Hughes, EP, JT, Demko all strike me as pretty serious get to work types. Not that they don't have fun, but when things get tight, maybe they are too tight. Phil does have that fun guy personality and cup experience to go with it. He will know when things need to be less serious and his pedigree would be respected. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, viking mama said:

I doubt that he can maintain 

their structure.

He then better be cheap, cheap,.., like dirt cheap. 

He's played under Tocchet before though.  I think it's safe to say he understands how to fit into his system.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, viking mama said:

I doubt that he can maintain 

their structure.

He then better be cheap, cheap,.., like dirt cheap. 

Vegas had the best “structure” in the league last season and they deemed him good enough to play 82.

The only question will be his conditioning which they’re doing their due diligence on right now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

He's played under Tocchet before though.  I think it's share to say he understands how to fit into his system.

Have to agree with you. I don't think RT would want to bring in someone he knows couldn't fit.

22 minutes ago, Dom said:

Looks like he's in fine shape to me. 

17 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

Def really out of shape & really slow. 🙄😜

He looks great, and he will exceed expectations. 

Even IF  he is slow, and the game has gotten behind him, at the very least I am excited to see a big personality and great teammate join our squad.

But, again, I think he will be great here, and invaluable in the playoffs, I dare say even a difference maker.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Have to agree with you. I don't think RT would want to bring in someone he knows couldn't fit.

Yep they said Tocchet was the “Kessel whisperer” in Pittsburgh. Sullivan didn’t like his game but Tocchet was able to get the most out of him.

Dont expect him to forecheck like Garland but he knows how to be in the right positon. You don’t play almost 1400 NHL games without having a high hockey IQ.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Kessel is consistently in great shape despite his appearance, and is one of the best personalities in the entire league.  If I could pick any active player to have a beer with, it's him.

Not picking players to win a Cup just to have beers with,…plenty of those in beer league.

Only the most-committed, highly-skilled, relevant, most-hungry, & best-of-role players… need apply.

Are they getting him for his craftiness & gimmicky ways to cheat….that’s putting him a leg up & over Kuzmenko, when the play-offs arrive perhaps?  

Was that the plan all along,…giving this team a play-off style Messier-esquires mean & cheat streak?

If & when the usual suspects start refereeing by those more old-school standards of blindness, or the expectation of players self-policing, do they think that Kessel has something of value to share with them then? 

How hypo-critical…but Rutherford is an insider, who knows what the team will encounter on their  journey forward  after-all 

Edited by viking mama

4 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

He looks great, and he will exceed expectations. 

Even IF  he is slow, and the game has gotten behind him, at the very least I am excited to see a big personality and great teammate join our squad.

But, again, I think he will be great here, and invaluable in the playoffs, I dare say even a difference maker.

100% agree will all this!

Some people need to stop making assumptions and devaluing what he brings to the table.