[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep they said Tocchet was the “Kessel whisperer” in Pittsburgh. Sullivan didn’t like his game but Tocchet was able to get the most out of him.

Dont expect him to forecheck like Garland but he knows how to be in the right positon. You don’t play almost 1400 NHL games without having a high hockey IQ.

Nothing to lose thats for sure!

RT is the third line whisperer too aha

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If all he does is keep the guys in the room loose and having fun I’ll call it a success. Anything more is just gravy.

We have enough good forwards in Abby now that they can turn to if Kessel no longer has it.

Agree completely. If we do sign him, as long as its at a rate that doesn't hurt us, can be buried,  then it's not a bad move.

4 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

It's hockey; SPEED MEANS EVERYTHING;

cuckoo-clock.gif 

If Kessel can't keep up to hard fought, playoff hockey, what's the point?

The recent pics we've seen, don't look encouraging. Mother time catches up to everyone. 

My intuition says it's caught up to Phil. I don't care who he's friends with.

we guys in Abbotsford that are as good as he is now...

It is a good thing that aside from his high IQ and deadly shot he has been and may continue to be a strong fast skater. He would be best suited picking up shifts around the top nine and being utilized in PP situations which there is always a need for. His experience and the atmosphere he brings may not be measureable but absolutely valuable.

He may have lost a step or two and that is what the coming days will tell us. If the team see's a solid foundation to work with noting that rust will need to be shaken off then he would be a solid addition that very importantly does NOT cost assets other than cap and dollars which ownership is all in on.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Not picking players to have beers with,…plenty of those in beer league.

Only the most-committed, highly-skilled, relevant, most-hungry, & best-of-role players… need apply.

Are they getting him for craftiness & gimmicky ways to cheat….putting him him a leg up & over Kuzmenko when the play-offs arrives?  Was this the plan all along? 

Yeah, keep ignoring all the facts / what others are saying. He fits most of what you’re saying and more, but keep stating the same things over and over.

• Like 1

Not picking players to have beers with,…plenty of those in beer league.

Only the most-committed, highly-skilled, relevant, most-hungry, & best-of-role players… need apply.

Are they getting him for craftiness & gimmicky ways to cheat….putting him him a leg up & over Kuzmenko when the play-offs arrives?  Was this the plan all along? 

You need guys like Juice, Kuz and Kessel to balance the room.

• Cheers 1

As long as Phil's conditioning is there and he signs closer to a league minimum, having more depth is never a bad thing! Plus like many have said the fact that he's won 3 stanley cups and is a NHL veteran, that will help us a lot off the ice as well.

• Cheers 1

Even if he has lost some wheels, and that remains to be seen, there's no doubt he's probably got more hockey sense than anyone on our fourth line 

Can't teach smarts, he's got em 

Having a guy like him on the third or fourth line bolsters our depth, all he needs to do is help the third or fourth line score against lesser opposition, having been a skill guy for as long as he has there's a good chance he can do that 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, my take on him bring here is, at this point in the season, there will be teams interested in Phil for scoring depth and experience. 3 cup rings really sat something. 

He's choosing to come here because he believes it's his best shot at one more cup.

I don't know how many contenders are chasing after Phil, but the Canucks have a chance.

I think a big part of it is the Vancouver coach, as well as the incentive of ending his career

with 1000pts.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

It is a good thing that aside from his high IQ and deadly shot he has been and may continue to be a strong fast skater. He would be best suited picking up shifts around the top nine and being utilized in PP situations which there is always a need for. His experience and the atmosphere he brings may not be measureable but absolutely valuable.

He may have lost a step or two and that is what the coming days will tell us. If the team see's a solid foundation to work with noting that rust will need to be shaken off then he would be a solid addition that very importantly does NOT cost assets other than cap and dollars which ownership is all in on.

Go look at the picture I just posted of him in Abbotsford. Wait a sec!  Maybe I could get a job playing for the Canucks. Haven't played Men's league for years, 

Hey Patrick!  🤣

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

100% agree will all this!

Some people need to stop making assumptions and devaluing what he brings to the table. 

We will all just need to wait & see. 

Mark me down as not a fan from the start. He’ll need to prove his worth, and RT shouldn’t over-estimate that, either. 

We will all just need to wait & see. 

Mark me down as not a fan from the start. He’ll need to prove his worth, and RT shouldn’t over-estimate that, either. 

Wait and see is fine, but that’s not what you are doing or saying. Hold judgment and perhaps you’ll be pleasantly surprised. 🤷‍♂️

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

Fwd depth

Scoring dept

Stays healthy 

Valuable playoff experience

Doesn't cost any assets

I mean we will have to waive someone. I'd rather keep PDG, Aman they won't clear waivers. PDG is producing at the rate kessel did last year while playing much more difficult mins.  

Edited by TopChed

5 minutes ago, TopChed said:

I mean we will have to waive someone. I'd rather keep PDG, Aman they won't clear waivers. PDG is producing at the rate kessel did last year while playing much more difficult mins.  

Freidman + Woo go down. Soucy comes back Kessel comes in. Nobody else has to be waived. 

47 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

100% agree will all this!

Some people need to stop making assumptions and devaluing what he brings to the table. 

yes!

this is stature, depth and experience needed to help guide the younger core players , as well as support the the Canucks playoff run.

The depth of Center position will keep us fresher, on top of everything else this player potentially brings.

the timing is perfect ,  and as we are situated with the Cap ,   this could be a very “friendly” contract.

Cheers to Phil for coming here !!

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Go look at the picture I just posted of him in Abbotsford. Wait a sec!  Maybe I could get a job playing for the Canucks. Haven't played Men's league for years, 

Hey Patrick!  🤣

Gotta love a beer leaguer thinking he's as good as Phil Kessel

smh

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

If we sign him, he pretty much replaces what Kuzmenko brought to the team (and more) both on and off the ice. Any time you can add a proven playoff performer, cup winner, and lethal shooter for free, you have to take the chance.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

54 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't know how many contenders are chasing after Phil, but the Canucks have a chance.

I think a big part of it is the Vancouver coach, as well as the incentive of ending his career

with 1000pts.

He has a history with Tocchet and Rutherford...