[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

I remember Ray Ferraro's comment on when he first met Phil the Thrill way back. Its went something like " When I first met Phil Kessel, the guy looks like he's never been in a gym in his entire life, there's no way this guy is going to last in his shape. Saw him on the ice, once the puck hit his stick, he looked like a top 10 player in the league. Some guys are just naturally good at playing hockey"

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think they keep Aman in because he's, really, the only natural C.

Suter is a natural C and is a better option than Aman.

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pettersson-Lindholm-Kessel

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Mikheyev-Suter-Lafferty

Aman, PDG

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Honestly I think this is a smart, low risk move. He’ll get a chance in the top six just to see if he has instant chemistry with any of our other top six. If not, he can come out of the line up and we still have about a month until the trade deadline to find a better fit.

when Kessel arrives:

Hogz - Petey - Lindy

Kessel - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Blug - Garland

Mik - Suter - Laf

Aman, PDG

if it works, great. If not, there’s enough time to make another move. Again, low risk/medium reward move.

We'll see what Kessel has to join the second line there but that's what I was thinking.  With that said, anyone missing the lotto line yet?  Could Lindholm work between Kessel and Hoglander?  Either way, the fourth line is shaping up better.  I like Suter but I'm not sure Miller and Boeser are playing at their best right now.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Honestly I think this is a smart, low risk move. He’ll get a chance in the top six just to see if he has instant chemistry with any of our other top six. If not, he can come out of the line up and we still have about a month until the trade deadline to find a better fit.

when Kessel arrives:

Hogz - Petey - Lindy

Kessel - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Blug - Garland

Mik - Suter - Laf

Aman, PDG

if it works, great. If not, there’s enough time to make another move. Again, low risk/medium reward move.

How do you think Kessel would react to him being on the 4th line? The 3rd line is not going to be broken up ( unless something dramatic happens...cross fingers),so he's either 2nd or 4th line. To me Kessel has to be willing to be moved around to do what's best for the team.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Or...

Blueger played 63 games last year and had 4 goals and 12 assists for 16 points averaging about 13min a night.

Kessel played 82 games last year and had 14 goals 22 assists for 36 points averaging less than 13min a night.

So there's that.

Or

Blueger has more upset while Kessel is on the decline. Bleuger already has 22 points in 40 games, which means he could have 50% more production than last year with Vegas, so he would have more production than Kessel this year after 82 games.

Kessel had 52 points in 82 games with Arizona then went down to 36 pts last year, so would he keep going down while Blueger goes up in points?

I think Kessel is more valuable for his playoff experience and potentially steadying nerves than his points.

5 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

How do you think Kessel would react to him being on the 4th line? The 3rd line is not going to be broken up ( unless something dramatic happens...cross fingers),so he's either 2nd or 4th line. To me Kessel has to be willing to be moved around to do what's best for the team.

I would think the plan would be to start on the fourth line. At some point they would try him with EP and see if it works. It's a complete long shot to have Kessel on the second line. It really is. But it isn't impossible and if it costs nothing to try, why not. I could see EP Lindolm and PK on his off wing given a try.

• Like 1

I don’t know why anyone would hate this. He will cost cheap, will be great in the dressing room, and has tons of playoff experience.  He won’t be playing every game barring injury and will probably get limited minutes (offensive zone and power play). The second unit of the power play just got a big boost in my opinion. Depth never hurts, especially scoring depth. 

Edited by TheWhiskeyPickle
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, TheWhiskeyPickle said:

I don’t know why anyone would hate this. He’s not going to be playing every game, will cost cheap, will be great in the dressing room, and has tons of playoff experience.  He won’t be playing every game barring injury and will probably get limited minutes (offensive zone and power play). The second unit of the power play just got a big boost in my opinion. Depth never hurts, especially scoring depth. 

yup, 28 games left he'll play in give or take around 15 of them? 

7 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I would think the plan would be to start on the fourth line. At some point they would try him with EP and see if it works. It's a complete long shot to have Kessel on the second line. It really is. But it isn't impossible and if it costs nothing to try, why not. I could see EP Lindolm and PK on his off wing given a try.

My only concern would be if someone gets injured and there's a need to get someone else and they've already spent some money on Kessel and he's taking a spot as well.

3 hours ago, 88Canuck said:

100% agree will all this!

Some people need to stop making assumptions and devaluing what he brings to the table. 

Yeah....the bottom line is none of us really know anything for sure.

The guys who get paid to know (RT, PA and RT) all seem to think there's value there and PK costs us nothing but a bit of Cap.....what's the problem? :classic_unsure:

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

My only concern would be if someone gets injured and there's a need to get someone else and they've already spent some money on Kessel and he's taking a spot as well.

Wouldn’t they just put the injured player on IR for cap relief?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah....the bottom line is none of us really know anything for sure.

The guys who get paid to know (RT, PA and RT) all seem to think there's value there and PK costs us nothing but a bit of Cap.....what's the problem? :classic_unsure:

Kessel would be an insurance policy for or top nine. And he’s free. We were lucky a stupid GM took both years of Kuzzy’s contract. Very lucky. 

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Out of curiosity, could Hot-Dog Phil be signed on a PTO and play for Abby for a couple of weeks before having to make a decision on whether to sign him (or not)?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I had an eyeroll locked and loaded at the hyperbole of "absolutely gassed" and then I watched the clip. 

yeah, absolutely gassed is accurate. I'm still not concerned, because a) everybody would be gassed in that situation and b) if he's not up to it, they won't bring him in. this management doesn't launch hail marys on first down while they're up 28-7 late in the 3rd quarter.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

This is probably why they sent him to Abby before they sign him. They want to see what his conditioning is. They also might want to see him in game action too. So I could see a PTO where he plays a few games in Abbotsford. If Kessel thinks he can’t cut it then he may just walk away and retire. I doubt he wants to come back just to sit in the press box or play 8 minutes a night on the 4th line. 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is probably why they sent him to Abby before they sign him. They want to see what his conditioning is. They also might want to see him in game action too. So I could see a PTO where he plays a few games in Abbotsford. If Kessel thinks he can’t cut it then he may just walk away and retire. I doubt he wants to come back just to sit in the press box or play 8 minutes a night on the 4th line. 

If you were given 800K to be part of a potentially cup winning team you might take that opportunity. 

he hasn’t played yet this season and

this is likely his last chance.

i think he’d love to go out alongside ppl he previously won cups with.

nice way to cap a career. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1