[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Friedman

Indeed! There are adjustments that can be made that are not devastating to this roster. Weirdly, people want to improve / upgrade the roster for the playoffs & hopefully a cup run, but don’t want to lose anything in the process. That’s not how it works. There’s a reason it’s called an upgrade…so subtracting a player shouldn’t be a loss, it should be a win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 88Canuck said:

Indeed! There are adjustments that can be made that are not devastating to this roster. Weirdly, people want to improve / upgrade the roster for the playoffs & hopefully a cup run, but don’t want to lose anything in the process. That’s not how it works. There’s a reason it’s called an upgrade…so subtracting a player shouldn’t be a loss, it should be a win.

Woo will go down now that zad is back and Friedman will have to go through waivers to go down when soucy is back.........I highly doubt he gets claimed, but if he does, it's not going affect the org much

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

That is the concern I have. People who say it won't cost us anything might be missing on the roster issue. Additionally if the Canucks do consider another player at trade deadline then they likely can't keep Kessel anyway.

IF Kessel signs with the Canucks, another team will not claim him if/when he gets sent down to open a space for Soucy or another acquisition. He is a 36 year old vet that has decided to sign with Van for the POs. We have seen numerous times over the years where this happens, and teams honor the vets desire. He probably just wouldn't report to whomever claimed him to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

12 hours ago, tas said:

i truly don't think tocc will make exceptions when it comes to the staples of the team either. if phil can keep up with this extremely high energy system, no shortcuts, I'd be very surprised and very impressed. 

And I think he is truly just a depth piece in case of a significant injury in Top 6. The guy can score, and systems/schemes can be modified slightly to accommodate him for the duration of the injury. He is a plug and paly guy on PP1, and would not miss a beat playing 3rd line minutes.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Making assumptions for sure, but the fact that he looks gassed when the drills are short and not at full pace doesn't seem like a good sign. Maybe he can get in to full game shape within a week or two, apparently he's a bit of a genetic freak in terms of fitness.

Guys been skating with the team for a day! He has almost a month to show what he has before TDL and 2 months before the POs. He played 82 games last year in a 3rd line role. I'm not concerned with his ability to get into shape only 1 year older.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

That is the concern I have. People who say it won't cost us anything might be missing on the roster issue. Additionally if the Canucks do consider another player at trade deadline then they likely can't keep Kessel anyway.

I don't understand this thought process. As long as his cap hit is <1.25m, it can be buried in the minors until the POs. This is not a guy that needs to show that he can play at an NHL level (shot, stick handling, technical skating), just needs to get into game shape.

Its pretty simple; sign him when he is in shape before Soucy is back; move Mik down for a few games as he is unlikely to get claimed at his cap hit. After a few games, do the old flippero.

• Like 1

Making assumptions for sure, but the fact that he looks gassed when the drills are short and not at full pace doesn't seem like a good sign. Maybe he can get in to full game shape within a week or two, apparently he's a bit of a genetic freak in terms of fitness.

He didn't look gassed to me at all. Maybe I've got the wrong video. I saw the one where he did a skate down the wing twice and peeled off while passing (wearing a grey jersey). If you can direct to me to the one you saw. 

Putting Kessel in the top 6 at this stage feels kinda crazy... but that's where he belongs if he can still play. He's an offensive player and I don't see 4th line being a fit, and the 3rd line ain't changing. He just might find instant chemistry with Miller. Here's hoping! And I love the all-Sweden line, I hope that sticks.

It's not really crazy considering we are playing guys like Mik, PDG, and Hogs looking for fits already. Miller or whoever sure could use a player with equivalent skill to work with, I believe would be a considerable factor. He just needs to be able to keep up is the challenge.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

He didn't look gassed to me at all. Maybe I've got the wrong video. I saw the one where he did a skate down the wing twice and peeled off while passing (wearing a grey jersey). If you can direct to me to the one you saw. 

It's not really crazy considering we are playing guys like Mik, PDG, and Hogs looking for fits already. Miller or whoever sure could use a player with equivalent skill to work with, I believe would be a considerable factor. He just needs to be able to keep up is the challenge.

Can we get a laser bp and heart rate to confirm?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

@Strawbone I did see this one now

He is bending over and catching his breath a couple times but yeah I guess what does one expect when you're doing NHL type training for the first time in 10 months? We'll see in a couple days if he is still sucking wind or handling it. He seemed to be enjoying it though.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Can we get a laser bp and heart rate to confirm?

Yes please, and a  ALT and AST, FBC, ECR, CRP, HBA1c, HDL/LDL, INR, PSA, and a TSH ... and yeah what the heck, also a phycological profile, a scale, and 24 hotdogs.

STAT !!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Must be another slow day at the Hockey News when they need to micro-analyze a player's skating at a practice. A player who is informally attending the practice, no less. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Rekker said:

Parise as well?

I’m unaware of parises situation leading up to his contract.. all I know is your cardiovascular is the quickest thing to lose and the quickest thing to gain back, clearly sucking wind out there, once he gets that back his legs will get pushed harder and he will find his game shape quicker than people are staying on here (4-6 weeks) 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

I think what your seeing is his deceptive stride.  The guy can wheel without seeming to.  8 seconds cherry picked video from a 1 hour practice.  Let's give the poor guy a week or two before we start heating up the pitch and naphtha.

Exactly. I especially agree with the 8 seconds from a 1 hour practice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

@Strawbone I did see this one now

He is bending over and catching his breath a couple times but yeah I guess what does one expect when you're doing NHL type training for the first time in 10 months? We'll see in a couple days if he is still sucking wind or handling it. He seemed to be enjoying it though.

Yes please, and a  ALT and AST, FBC, ECR, CRP, HBA1c, HDL/LDL, INR, PSA, and a TSH ... and yeah what the heck, also a phycological profile, a scale, and 24 hotdogs.

STAT !!!

Yeah, I saw some smiles. I just thought if he was really serious, he could have replicated NHL-training-camp levels of skating practice at home for a few weeks before coming to Vancouver. It's not rocket science, it's just pushing yourself without having a coach directing you, and he surely has the resources to secure his own ice time and the experience of many training camps before this. Very early days though, I'm hopeful.

Also, the gear he's wearing doesn't help, and he's also beside the Sedins without gear who have always been really slim, so in comparison he looks rather portly!

Edited by Strawbone

The guy looked so gassed. Even if we signed him. By the time he is game speed we'll be pushing playoffs. And if Vegas is anything to go by, we probably won't be using him the playoffs anyway. Outside of injuries. I am not against Kessel. It's just a weird situation where the upside isn't very high. Even if the downside isn't very low either. It just feels like a whatever move.

3 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Yeah, I saw some smiles. I just thought if he was really serious, he could have replicated NHL-training-camp levels of skating practice at home for a few weeks before coming to Vancouver. It's not rocket science, it's just pushing yourself without having a coach directing you, and he surely has the resources to secure his own ice time and the experience of many training camps before this. Very early days though, I'm hopeful.

Also, the gear he's wearing doesn't help, and he's also beside the Sedins without gear who have always been really slim, so in comparison he looks rather portly!

Yeah he's actually always pulling up his pants, which is good, means he's too skinny.  :classic_laugh: I've played sports with lots of different people, some incredible athlete's just present as big bodied. I've never read much into the pictures like Kessel sitting in the dressing room. Doesn't really say much imo.

There is a big difference in getting into what you feel is good shape vs being directed by others to perform in practice. I get what you're saying but I expect he's going to be struggling a bit as he starts out no matter how good of shape he's in. Anyways, I'm hoping for the best. Sure would be great as I think the one thing we're short on is pure skill and upper end ability which Phil has in spades.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1