[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

32 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah he's actually always pulling up his pants, which is good, means he's too skinny.  :classic_laugh: I've played sports with lots of different people, some incredible athlete's just present as big bodied. I've never read much into the pictures like Kessel sitting in the dressing room. Doesn't really say much imo.

There is a big difference in getting into what you feel is good shape vs being directed by others to perform in practice. I get what you're saying but I expect he's going to be struggling a bit as he starts out no matter how good of shape he's in. Anyways, I'm hoping for the best. Sure would be great as I think the one thing we're short on is pure skill and upper end ability which Phil has in spades.

If he can get up to full speed I totally see him as a fit on one of our top lines. To me, he feels like he could fill Kuzmenko's place as a top-6 sniper, but with so much more NHL experience and smarts. Kuzmenko was one of the slowest skaters on the team and I'm hoping even at his age, Kessel is quicker than Kuzy was. So we added Lindholm and get a Kuzy+ replacement, in an ideal world.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

If he can get up to full speed I totally see him as a fit on one of our top lines. To me, he feels like he could fill Kuzmenko's place as a top-6 sniper, but with so much more NHL experience and smarts. Kuzmenko was one of the slowest skaters on the team and I'm hoping even at his age, Kessel is quicker than Kuzy was. So we added Lindholm and get a Kuzy+ replacement, in an ideal world.

I'd like to think the same but doubtful in my mind. Not to say he can't play in the top 6 in sheltered minutes or barring injuries.

Could have way worse options which is why I think if he can get upto pace it makes so much sense. The only drawback I see is if I'm the coach I want him in my top 9 mainly and I'm not changing the 3rd.

He could fill in on injuries and if willing he'd be a good 4th line addition. Something like

Mikeyev Miller Boeser

Hoglander EP40 Lindholm

Joshua Blueger Garland

Lafferty Suter Kessel 

PDG

Hughes Hronek

Cole Myers

Soucy Zadorov 

Juulsen

Demko 

De Smith

It be a good insurance policy and having extra depth doesn't hurt.

Pushes Aman and P.D.G into depth roles with still having guys like Pods and Karlson in the barn ready and incase of an injury he'd be a perfect player to slot into a top 6 temporarily. 

Edited by Bobby Lou

Was reading a article with a comment from Tocchet. Don't be surprised if we sign him and leave him in the AHL for an extended period to get his game up to speed. I could see Canucks sign him under our AHL farm team in Abbotsford so that he can just play and then sign him closer to the deadline if he's looking okay with them.

He's been away for a number of months, he's going to need time to get back into game shape.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Was reading a article with a comment from Tocchet. Don't be surprised if we sign him and leave him in the AHL for an extended period to get his game up to speed. I could see Canucks sign him under our AHL farm team in Abbotsford so that he can just play and then sign him closer to the deadline if he's looking okay with them.

He's been away for a number of months, he's going to need time to get back into game shape.

I am not sure we can do that for very long I think we can just leave him there until the trade deadline, then have to sign him to an NHL contract.

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am not sure we can do that for very long I think we can just leave him there until the trade deadline, then have to sign him to an NHL contract.

I believe that you are right, I think at the deadline we would have to sign him to an NHL deal, but at least we'd have till then to decide if he's making enough progress to make sense.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

This.

He'll have to be under an NHL contract in order to be eligible for the playoffs. 

14 minutes ago, Hankiesedin said:

Canucks rolling 4 lines, thoughts?

Boeser JT PDG (1st line)

Hogs Petey Kessel (2nd line)

Mik Lindholm Suter (Shutdown line)

Dak Bleuger Garland (our fave 3rd line)

Extras: Aman, Lafferty

The Canucks are a VERY deep team if Lindholm ends up on the 3rd line. 

i have no hate for the hot dog boy but i dont see where he moves the needle for us. Who comes out of a first overall team to add Kessel and makes us a better team. 

IMHO what we need is more grit that can play. more snarl up front or a better than we already have D man. If we are not adding one of those two things i wouldnt be looking at 36 yr old former goal scoring wingers. There's players out there that can help this team. Its just whats the cost