[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

34 minutes ago, Screw said:

Phil would be playing top two lines if he could keep up.  I do not envision him as a 3-4th line player.

If he can meet the fitness standard then he will be scoring

line depth and one hell of a good luck charm.

In my eyes, he's exactly that. Who would you rather see in the top 6 when injuries hit, PDG/Karlsson or Kessel? We have plenty of bottom 6 depth, but having some talented offense talent that could play a roll if a big name goes down could be worth it weight in gold inna long playoff run.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

In my eyes, he's exactly that. Who would you rather see in the top 6 when injuries hit, PDG/Karlsson or Kessel? We have plenty of bottom 6 depth, but having some talented offense talent that could play a roll if a big name goes down could be worth it weight in gold inna long playoff run.

I don’t think you’ll ever want him out there in the top six when they’re playing 5v5.  On the pp or chasing a game late with the goalie pulled then I agree with you.  

There could be a spot for him.  I’m hoping he shows well!

43 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I agree with this. It's his defence that scares me 😬

I think it’s fine to suggest Kessel might not be able to keep up with the way Tocchet wants to play but IMO there’s no reason to be worried or scared about it.  

We just ran Kuzmenko - a guy in his prime with a lot more offensive upside than Kessel out the door because he wasn’t getting it.  Kessel is only making the team if he shows he can play the right way.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Precisely - it’s just another tool in the belt for Tocchet if he needs to add some veteran savvy and offence to the lineup.  You know Kessel will bring a pop just on his personality and reputation - all assuming he passes the sniff test this week, of course.

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

I think it’s fine to suggest Kessel might not be able to keep up with the way Tocchet wants to play but IMO there’s no reason to be worried or scared about it.  

We just ran Kuzmenko - a guy in his prime with a lot more offensive upside than Kessel out the door because he wasn’t getting it.  Kessel is only making the team if he shows he can play the right way.

Yep. I agree. I think what's more concerning is his conditioning, and lack of game action for the last 10 months he's been away from the game. So his conditioning is really concerning, where everyone else is pretty much there and is in tip top season form, Phil is just starting out. He's got a huge mountain to climb. Curious to see if he can do it. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yep. I agree. I think what's more concerning is his conditioning, and lack of game action for the last 10 months he's been away from the game. So his conditioning is really concerning, where everyone else is pretty much there and is in tip top season form, Phil is just starting out. He's got a huge mountain to climb. Curious to see if he can do it. 

I think he can, its not like his hockey sense will disappear. Regardless of where it ends up, its fun to see the team trying something like this. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 12:41 PM, The Duke said:

Kessel has never done that though. He doesn't hit/forecheck, block shots, takes more penalties than he draws, his turnover to takeaway ratio is atrocious. I seriously have no clue why we want him other than in the room.

Edited by Hammertime

I think all this team needs really is a Ryan Johnson. Beck Malenstyn would be my prime target #1. 

A top 6 playmaker would be nice too but probably too costly. 

Edited by TopChed

3 hours ago, TopChed said:

Would it be possible to sign Phil not to play but as a skills coach? Our PP on paper should be amazing, but its awful Phil may have some input there that could be beneficial. 

I think all this team needs really is a Ryan Johnson. Beck Malenstyn would be my prime target #1. 

A top 6 playmaker would be nice too but probably too costly. 

It's overkill. Less is more. Where is that player going to find the playing time?

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

It's overkill. Less is more. Where is that player going to find the playing time?

We've been revolving bottom 6ers like Mikheyev, PDG, Lafferty, through our top 6 so I'd say theres room. We have a ton of great shooters but few guys who's calling card is playmaking. 

16 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

There is always place and time for good player.If he is.You cant also play 3-4 Mik,PDG Lafferty.Tree lines produce,4th is tug line.Simple and plain.

You know...

I kinda wondered if he wasn't being secretly groomed in a coaching regard, myself.  He costs nothing but a roster spot and money at this point for a potential playoff run, I get it;  Worth a shot.  But he was old last year in Vegas, and he's not any younger.  What if he's not actually coming on as a player but in a coaching role, while using the time in Abby as a "conditioning stint" to learn the role under Collaton??  

Lots of what ifs, but it's fun..  and if he plays and contributes, so much the better.  He'd make a wicked awesome coach though, just saying...

Edited by Kerrsil
Corrected spelling and grammar issues.

On 2/17/2024 at 12:41 PM, The Duke said:

The thing, RT already knows what he'd be getting in PK and won't even ask him to be something he's not.......that's the main reason this move makes sense and why PK chose Van as his main destination 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Hot dog machine in the locker room ! He’s actually a big Italian food/red wine lover from the word on the street lol.

Take him to Cioppino’s 

I’m sure Cio can get him to fall in love with his take on an Italian hot dog 🌭 

• Cheers 1