[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

20 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

It's overkill. Less is more. Where is that player going to find the playing time?

As it stands now if you were to compare the last Canucks club to go deep in the Playoffs ( 2011 ) vs the current club, this year's version is arguably deeper with exception of a depth dman if Irwin is not going to be that guy after the deadline and maybe another bigger bodied forward.

2024                     2011

Pettersson            Sedin

Miller                     Sedin

Lindholm               Kesler

Boeser                   Burrows

Garland                  Higgins

Mikheyev               Samuelsson

Joshua                   Hansen

Hoglander              Raymond

Blueger                  Hodgson

Suter                      Torres

De Giuseppe          Oreskovich 

Aman                      Tambellini 

Lafferty                   Glass

Karlsson                  Bolduc

Kessel ??                 Malhotra

Podkolzin ??           Lapierre

Bains ??

Hughes                   Edler

Hronek                    Ehrhoff

Myers                     Bieksa 

Cole                         Salo

Zadorov                  Hamhuis

Soucy                      Tanev

Juulsen                    Alberts

Friedman                 Ballard

Irwin ??                    Rome

Demko                    Luongo

DeSmith                  Schneider 

The Canucks have far more center depth and higher end skill currently.

I would not be concerned about Kessel with exception the Canucks could lose Aman on Waivers if not done right. I wonder if Irwin will be a depth playoff option but I would see one more dman on top of Kessel making this squad more complete.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

F's are probably pretty close +/-. The D though... At the top end Hughes is obviously a LOT better than anyone we've ever had. But after him and Hronek, I'd give the edge to 2011... Bieksa, Salo, Hamhuis and Tanev is ridiculous "bottom 4" D depth.

Thing to remember about Tanev though was he was our 9th dman at the time and as good as a defenceman we remember him being, him playing in the SCF was not a good thing.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Thing to remember about Tanev though was he was our 9th dman at the time and as good as a defenceman we remember him being, him playing in the SCF was not a good thing.

Tanev playing was fine. The bigger problem was that just about everyone ahead of him was playing hurt, injured/out or suspended 😂

On 2/19/2024 at 9:14 AM, Mike Vanderhoek said:

As it stands now if you were to compare the last Canucks club to go deep in the Playoffs ( 2011 ) vs the current club, this year's version is arguably deeper with exception of a depth dman if Irwin is not going to be that guy after the deadline and maybe another bigger bodied forward.

2024                     2011

Pettersson            Sedin

Miller                     Sedin

Lindholm               Kesler

Boeser                   Burrows

Garland                  Higgins

Mikheyev               Samuelsson

Joshua                   Hansen

Hoglander              Raymond

Blueger                  Hodgson

Suter                      Torres

De Giuseppe          Oreskovich 

Aman                      Tambellini 

Lafferty                   Glass

Karlsson                  Bolduc

Kessel ??                 Malhotra

Podkolzin ??           Lapierre

Bains ??

Hughes                   Edler

Hronek                    Ehrhoff

Myers                     Bieksa 

Cole                         Salo

Zadorov                  Hamhuis

Soucy                      Tanev

Juulsen                    Alberts

Friedman                 Ballard

Irwin ??                    Rome

Demko                    Luongo

DeSmith                  Schneider 

The Canucks have far more center depth and higher end skill currently.

I would not be concerned about Kessel with exception the Canucks could lose Aman on Waivers if not done right. I wonder if Irwin will be a depth playoff option but I would see one more dman on top of Kessel making this squad more complete.

Could the Canucks keep Phil in Abbotsford and then call him up when the playoffs start without losing anyone? 

37 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Could the Canucks keep Phil in Abbotsford and then call him up when the playoffs start without losing anyone? 

It was reported that 4 teams were interested in him, if true he wouldn’t clear waivers. 
And if he’s not signed prior to the trade deadline he’s ineligible for playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Northern_Nuck said:

It was reported that 4 teams were interested in him, if true he wouldn’t clear waivers. 
And if he’s not signed prior to the trade deadline he’s ineligible for playoffs. 

So it's not possible to lose a roster player for Kessel? 

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No chance.

He’s still a month away at least.

If that's the case, then it's very likely JR/PA will bring someone else in, who's not a rental, for the playoffs. That was always in the works, but I'm interested to see who.

21 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I wouldn't shed a tear if we lost Di Giuseppe on waivers. He hasn't had a single point since mid November (21 games played).

Well i mean he’s also been averaging around 7-8mins since returning from injury. He may not be picking up points, bur he is also not getting scored on.  Of those 21 games 8 of those have been sub 9mins and one being 9:10 TOI. So basically half of those games are 9mins or less. And then you look at his short handed time of nearly 50 mins…. Hes killing just over a minute per game. Hes got a lot going against production….. he has to work extra hard and pull off a lot more in short time and unfavourable deployment to pick up points. I’d like him available in the bottom 6 for depth, he seems to be quite reliable 

Edited by AnthonyG

13 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Well i mean he’s also been averaging around 7-8mins since returning from injury. He may not be picking up points, bur he is also not getting scored on.  Of those 21 games 8 of those have been sub 9mins and one being 9:10 TOI. So basically half of those games are 9mins or less. And then you look at his short handed time of nearly 50 mins…. Hes killing just over a minute per game. Hes got a lot going against production….. he has to work extra hard and pull off a lot more in short time and unfavourable deployment to pick up points. I’d like him available in the bottom 6 for depth, he seems to be quite reliable 

Yeah, I agree in that I like PDG for the bottom six. Middle six to top six role? Probably not unless we're desperately in need. He's good depth, but if we had to lose someone because of Kessel, I would bet it's probably him. Who else would it be on the roster? Aman isn't going to go back down, he's also much younger than PDG is, so he's got that going for him. 

• Cheers 1