[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

It puzzled me why management went after him in the first place.  When you think of our identity as a team, what is it?  Fast forechecking - that's Tocchet's motto to a T.  Phil Kessel is neither fast nor does he forecheck.  He's a dynamic offensive talent (probably still is) with a long track record of success, but will he be aggressive on the forecheck?  Hell no.  So how would he fit into our bottom six, where they do nothing but forecheck like madmen?

Exactly , and some people think he was the 2nd coming. Please

I think the Podkolzin call up was related to Kessel, I believe management correctly identified Podkolzin as someone more capable than Phil.

Either that or $ issues, but either way I'm relieved we didn't jump into anything dumb.

Tuch or Kyrou would've been cool though.

2 minutes ago, Western Red said:

I think the Podkolzin call up was related to Kessel, I believe management correctly identified Podkolzin as someone more capable than Phil.

Either that or $ issues, but either way I'm relieved we didn't jump into anything dumb.

Tuch or Kyrou would've been cool though.

I think Kessel may be related to Podkolzin. I think maybe management wanted to see if Podkolzin could be ready to play at the NHL level. And his first showing indicated that he could step into a bottom six role (short term). And so they didn’t need Kessel anymore. 

weird though how it kinda felt like they were stringing Kessel along until the very end (deadline). 

• Upvote 1

You know, at least we know we aren't just signing players like Kessel just for the sake of signing players like Kessel. Kessel had a chance to show himself and we made the decision based on our brain and not based on our heart.

I can't fault that to be honest.

• Wiener 1

🤣  I tried to tell you guys this guy looked awful when he WAS in shape. It was pretty amusing watching some plop him right into our top 6 line up like he was still relevant. 

I think the plan was to do him a solid and expose him to the league to see if anyone would bite on taking him on.

I don't think we had any intention on signing him at all, he was just not going to fit in our line up anywhere.

• Sad 1
  • ThereItIs 1

44 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think the plan was to do him a solid and expose him to the league to see if anyone would bite on taking him on.

Why would they do this if they didn't think that there was any sort of hope to see if he could contribute and help this team? 

• Cheers 1

Kessel had every option to sign with another team. His camp could have “if you don’t sign us by Thursday; we’ll be signing elsewhere Friday.” Any professional in his spot would have a contingency plan. It’s not like Kessel was sitting beside his rotary phone waiting for it to ring.  

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Why would they do this if they didn't think that there was any sort of hope to see if he could contribute and help this team? 

It has been stated before that he has ties to Tocchet and management, why wouldn't they try to help a friend out if they could. 

Edited by EdgarM

Allvin mentioned that Kessel wasn't a fit for the way the Canucks want to play. At least, that's what I heard when he was asked about Phil. I interpret this as meaning he wasn't able to up his tempo enough to fit with the Canucks. The NHL game is so fast that I'm sure Phil can't keep up anymore. It would have been nice if he was in tiptop shape and raring to go, but I guess he never got there. In the end, I'm glad management didn't do a mercy signing for a guy who wasn't going to help the team win.

Canucks Recall Vasily Podkolzin

March 9th, 2024 at 12:44pm CST • By Brian La Rose

After being papered down to the minors yesterday, Vasily Podkolzin is back up with the Canucks as the team announced (Twitter link) that they’ve recalled him from AHL Abbotsford.

The 22-year-old was the tenth pick back in 2019 and spent the full 2021-22 season with Vancouver.  However, last season, he split the season between the NHL and the AHL, and this year, they decided he’d be best served playing big minutes in his final season of waiver exemption.

This season, Podkolzin has played in 44 games with Abbotsford, collecting 15 goals and 13 assists.  He also has seen action in three games with Vancouver this month but has been primarily limited to fourth-line duty.  That’s likely to continue to be the case moving forward.

Podkolzin had been shuffled back and forth over the last week but that should change now.  With Vancouver having a dozen healthy forwards before this roster move, that means this will count as one of their four allowable post-deadline regular recalls so his stint with the Canucks should be longer this time around.  Notably, his promotion effectively caps Vancouver out as they won’t be able to afford another recall.  That likely played a role in their decision yesterday not to sign Phil Kessel as an extra depth player after he had worked out with Abbotsford recently.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/canucks-recall-vasily-podkolzin.html#ref=home

• Cheers 1

On 3/9/2024 at 3:22 AM, Jetliner said:

Exactly , and some people think he was the 2nd coming. Please

Maybe not but a nice scoring depth if an injury happened during the post season might have come in handy 

10 hours ago, RWJC said:

Canucks Recall Vasily Podkolzin

March 9th, 2024 at 12:44pm CST • By Brian La Rose

After being papered down to the minors yesterday, Vasily Podkolzin is back up with the Canucks as the team announced (Twitter link) that they’ve recalled him from AHL Abbotsford.

The 22-year-old was the tenth pick back in 2019 and spent the full 2021-22 season with Vancouver.  However, last season, he split the season between the NHL and the AHL, and this year, they decided he’d be best served playing big minutes in his final season of waiver exemption.

This season, Podkolzin has played in 44 games with Abbotsford, collecting 15 goals and 13 assists.  He also has seen action in three games with Vancouver this month but has been primarily limited to fourth-line duty.  That’s likely to continue to be the case moving forward.

Podkolzin had been shuffled back and forth over the last week but that should change now.  With Vancouver having a dozen healthy forwards before this roster move, that means this will count as one of their four allowable post-deadline regular recalls so his stint with the Canucks should be longer this time around.  Notably, his promotion effectively caps Vancouver out as they won’t be able to afford another recall.  That likely played a role in their decision yesterday not to sign Phil Kessel as an extra depth player after he had worked out with Abbotsford recently.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/canucks-recall-vasily-podkolzin.html#ref=home

There it is white and black; with Podz promotion we were capped out. No out of shape, bad fit, etc. they couldn’t have Phil and Podz. I’d have pick Podz too.

Allvin said in his interview that he didn't sign Kessel because of cap space and a lack of injuries.

Amazing to me how that got glossed over. They had Kessel in mind in case they had long term injuries. They didn't, thus they didn't sign him. 

Not really a big mystery in my opinion. It cost them absolutely nothing to work with him and keep him in the wings just in case. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/11/2024 at 5:21 PM, VforVasili said:

Allvin said in his interview that he didn't sign Kessel because of cap space and a lack of injuries.

Amazing to me how that got glossed over. They had Kessel in mind in case they had long term injuries. They didn't, thus they didn't sign him. 

Not really a big mystery in my opinion. It cost them absolutely nothing to work with him and keep him in the wings just in case. 

They couldn't have placed Aman on LTIR for an equipment allergy or something?