[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

From what I heard, the reputation of him being out of shape is no longer valid. He's been in the best shape of his life reportedly, which might seem kinda funny, but the dude's resume says all that is needed. He is a winner.

That being said, I'm not sure if he'll be too slow for the team.

I seen him play last year, he is definitely too slow for this team.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I really don't get it.  I know he's a bit of a unicorn but Phil Kessel is not the type of player that would fit well under the current forechecking system.  We're not seeing this guy on the first PP unit so he's only really going to play 5v5.  The only thing he has going for him is that he's obviously built up a great relationship with Rick Tocchet.  But he is getting really old now.

image.png.7d7db2056816acc388c93cf3d2872a5a.png

Thank you, if Kuz couldn't cut the mustard does anyone think this guy can? i seriously thought he came straight out of a beer league when I watched him play last year. He was like the last guy on the bench and the coach went to him every once in awhile, I am pretty sure because he felt sorry for him. 

Obviously after winning a Cup, they didn't seem to think it was necessary to bring him back, nor did any other NHL team.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Almost 1000 pts

.83 ppg in the playoffs

2 cups

Tochett said "There's value in Phil Kessell"..

I'll go with the coach over random self proclaimed hockey experts on a message board 🤣

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=93039

No kidding.  If Tocchet likes him, he's gonna play him.  Kessel produced with VGK last year at nearly the same pace as Mikheyev with the Canucks this year.  Only difference in production is that Mikheyev has played on average 2min more per game (not counting PK time).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, awalk said:

Not expecting much but it's adding depth without giving anything up other than cap space, so seems like a good idea to me

We have to stop accepting mediocrity, we have been doing that for decades now. We are either building a winning team or we are not, its that simple. 

https://canucksarmy.com/news/report-vancouver-canucks-free-agent-forward-phil-kessel

“I checked into it and I can tell you right now, the Vancouver Canucks still talk and discuss Phil Kessel,” said Dhaliwal. “They keep in regular contact with his agent, they like his experience, what he’s done in the past, he’s got a relationship with Tocchet, Allvin, and Rutherford. Tocchet coached him in Arizona, Rutherford acquired him in Pittsburgh. Tocchet said last weekend said this of Kessel: ‘there is value in Phil, I think he can still play 100%.’

52 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Kessel has always looked like the Pillsbury doughboy's younger brother. Yet he has been in good enough shape to play 1286 NHL games, scoring 413 goals and 992 points and three Stanley cups. I wouldn't mind adding Phil for the playoffs, but unless there are injuries, I can't see him playing regularly. BUT, he HAS been there and knows what it takes. That kind of presence in the room might be valuable to a team with little or no playoff experience.

We have coaches and players like Blueger and Cole who have been there, we are good in that department. 

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

We have to stop accepting mediocrity, we have been doing that for decades now. We are either building a winning team or we are not, its that simple. 

Ok this is a bit of a stretch.  How is this accepting mediocrity?  We are a 1st place team that is absolutely LOADED with talent up front, but we are still wanting to add a 3 time Stanley Cup champion that scored 14 goals and 36 points last season playing 4th line minutes with a Stanley Cup champion roster. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

43 minutes ago, HKSR said:

82 games, 14 goals, 22 points and 36 points with the VGK last year playing an average of 12:48 per night.

That production is the same as the pace Mikheyev is on this year, but Mikheyev ATOI is 14:44.

Laugh all we want, but Kessel is a unicorn. 

Mik knows how to play defense, big difference.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

how do you know its mediocrity? Do you know how he will or will not perform?

On top of that, it costs almost nothing to add a player who could help. Why do you NOT do it? Because you think you can tell the future?

Tocchet has said he thinks Phil can still play...he has great hands, great speed despite being pudgy

Marc Recchi added value to the Bruins against us...and he was at the tail end of his career. Injuries happen in the playoffs. Anyone who remembers 2011 knows that's probably the reason we lost. We had too many injuries, Boston was pretty healthy.

Depth matters. And cheap depth with potential upside is smart

Edited by Bardown
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Almost 1000 pts

.83 ppg in the playoffs

2 cups

Tochett said "There's value in Phil Kessell"..

I'll go with the coach over random self proclaimed hockey experts on a message board 🤣

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=93039

When he gets signed by an NHL team again, I will agree with you. :classic_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Where did you see that?

They mentioned it on 650.

Said some writer for the Athletic out of Philly said us and the Leafs had interest.

I gotta think it’s just a way to put pressure on the Flames.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Ok this is a bit of a stretch.  How is this accepting mediocrity?  We are a 1st place team that is absolutely LOADED with talent up front, but we are still wanting to add a 3 time Stanley Cup champion that scored 14 goals and 36 points last season playing 4th line minutes with a Stanley Cup champion roster. 

Where is he going to fit in this roster? Seriously. I see our forward lines pretty set , with the exception of Suter on the top line. Is he going to go there playing 20 + minutes a night? 

Sometimes I don't think guys think this out in a team perspective. How is he going to help us WIN!? 

If he is going to help out in a pinch during the regular season, fine, but this guy is not going to keep up in the playoffs, I seen him play last year you guys are going to be sadly disappointed in what he is going to bring to the table.

Either he is a key component or he isn't and I like what we have now. The only weakness I see is that we don't have a big bruising winger on either of the top 2 lines. he is not going to help us there so I really don't see a need for him, unless we need a professional bench warmer. :classic_biggrin:

Just now, Blitz-Pix said:

To slow to play in our system IMO...Just going eat cap space that could be used to aqquire someone else.

He was essentially benched in the playoofs last year cause he couldnt keep up. 

He would be the locker room jester.

Doubt he would see much action.

13 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

Yeah, because a team would say whoa, we have to much playoff / cup experience…we don’t need any more! Really! 

Not saying that, I am saying him, as a package, is not giving us much more then what we already have.