[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

13 minutes ago, Bardown said:

how do you know its mediocrity? Do you know how he will or will not perform?

On top of that, it costs almost nothing to add a player who could help. Why do you NOT do it? Because you think you can tell the future?

Tocchet has said he thinks Phil can still play...he has great hands, great speed despite being pudgy

Marc Recchi added value to the Bruins against us...and he was at the tail end of his career. Injuries happen in the playoffs. Anyone who remembers 2011 knows that's probably the reason we lost. We had too many injuries, Boston was pretty healthy.

Depth matters. And cheap depth with potential upside is smart

So is that standard we are going to go by? "he costs almost nothing"? 

I see him like Bear, yes he brings certain skills, but in the big picture, what does he bring to us and our success. 

Some guys are good fits and some, not really.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He was good enough for the Cup Champs as a depth piece. They would know more about that than a self proclaimed message board expert 😄

Why isn't he on their team anymore then? 

7 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

To slow to play in our system IMO...Just going eat cap space that could be used to aqquire someone else.

He was essentially benched in the playoofs last year cause he couldnt keep up. 

I get the feeling some on here never watched his performance last year in the playoffs, hence why they think he is still useful. :classic_biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Just now, EdgarM said:

I get the feeling some on here never watched his performance last year in the playoffs, hence why they think he is still useful. :classic_biggrin:

He’s good at keeping the guys in the locker room loose. There is value in that.

I doubt he’d be signing for more than 850k.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They mentioned it on 650.

Said some writer for the Athletic out of Philly said us and the Leafs had interest.

I gotta think it’s just a way to put pressure on the Flames.

Heard the same but said its not 'serious' talks...so unlikely

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Easy for a keyboard warrior to scoff at.

I am just going by the facts. If no NHL team has signed him to even a minimum contract, I am thinking that's because no one wants his services or think he's an asset? 

Forget about my opinion, the fact is still, he is currently unemployed. :classic_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There is a good reason to sign a guy to an NHL contract. :classic_biggrin:

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty physical if I remember.

But horrible in his own end no?

I think the Canucks would be wise to focus on a defensive defenseman who excels at that particular discipline. The Canucks have enough size on the backend (although more never hurts) Happy The Office GIF and have a solid offensive contribution from the defense as well. 

They could use a Tanev or Pesce way more than a Ristolainen. 

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

........Which would be better served as a coach and I like what we already have, thanks. 

And why do you care if they have the cap space at TDL and they aren’t going to use it.. just sign the player and have him play sporadically and rest player down the stretch? It’s not like playoff have a roster size limit. Doesn’t hurt to have extra players in the press box in case of injury in the playoff. Bludgar and kessel hardly played in the playoff last year but didn’t hurt to have them in case. If they are going to spend the cap elsewhere sure but if they are not going to spend it why do you even care? I swap him in and out with aman not like he’s doing much anyways. Unless you are implying he’s a locker room cancer..

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If thats the case...add him to the coaching staff. no need to burn cap money

Edited by Blitz-Pix

20 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

So is that standard we are going to go by? "he costs almost nothing"? 

I see him like Bear, yes he brings certain skills, but in the big picture, what does he bring to us and our success. 

Some guys are good fits and some, not really.

The standard is Tocchet, Rutherford and Allvin know alot more about hockey than you ever will.

Edited by Bardown
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

No risk. Low Cap hit for 1 year. If it does not work, he sits. I love this idea rather than another trade. He would have something to prove in order to stay in the league. This has potential to be really good.

Edited by Canucks
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You wouldn’t be burning any money you’d be replacing someone like PDG or Karlsson.

I guess my point is if your really looking for his playoff expierence, and to keep the room loose he could be added to the staff in some capacity.

Make him fish pucks outta the net, crack jokes with the players and help the younger guys work on their game. Cause IMO he's probably not gonna make the on ice product any better other than passing along knowledge. 

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This for sure. Playoffs are a grind of pressure points and ups and downs. Kessel is experienced enough to know when things need to get lighter in the room. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

And why do you care if they have the cap space at TDL and they aren’t going to use it.. just sign the player and have him play sporadically and rest player down the stretch? It’s not like playoff have a roster size limit. Doesn’t hurt to have extra players in the press box in case of injury in the playoff. Bludgar and kessel hardly played in the playoff last year but didn’t hurt to have them in case. If they are going to spend the cap elsewhere sure but if they are not going to spend it why do you even care? I swap him in and out with aman not like he’s doing much anyways. Unless you are implying he’s a locker room cancer..

Because I believe you BUILD a team to WIN. Playoffs need defense first and speed, neither of which old Phil has. 

What i do think we lack though is size and toughness in the top six. I want our skilled players to have the puck as much as possible and that means we need guys on the forecheck and on the boards retrieving the puck. 

Just like I said about Bear, the fit is not really there. We would need Boeser or Petey to go down to fit this guy in the line up somewhere. 

I don't care about the cap space nor do I think he would be a cancer, just think he is not a good fit on this team right now, nor do I believe he would help us accomplish our task at hand. 

4 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I guess my point is if your really looking for his playoff expierence, and to keep the room loose he could be added to the staff in some capacity.

Make him fish pucks outta the net, crack jokes with the players and help the younger guys work on their game. Cause IMO he's probably not gonna make the on ice product any better other than passing along knowledge. 

He's still a good PP option his shot is still a threat.