[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

14 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Almost every year there is a veteran player unsigned that signs near playoff time for variety of reasons. Bottom line he's depth that costs nothing but a pro rated league minimum that does not hurt the team as a depth forward. Why your having a temper tantrum over that is just pointless imo. 

Temper tantrum? Dude I am far from that , don't you see my smiley faces everywhere? :classic_biggrin::classic_laugh:

13 minutes ago, Bardown said:

The standard is Tocchet, Rutherford and Allvin know alot more about hockey than you ever will.

Yay! we agree on something. :classic_laugh: I am in total agreement with you on that one. 

As this just a chat forum, I just state my opinion, just like everyone else on here. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

He's still a good PP option his shot is still a threat. 

How do you think he's gonna do if we turn it over and he's in a footrace on the back check?

Only so may spots available on the bench, to have 1 guy only there for PP time is kinda silly...IMO. 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

a player who's cap hit you can bury entirely is not going to break this team, Nothingburger, no risk med-high reward signing. 

Ok fine, lets just sign him already, sheesh. :classic_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

How do you think he's gonna do if we turn it over and he's in a footrace on the back check?

Only so may spots available on the bench, to have 1 guy only there for PP time is kinda silly...IMO. 

I have heard of so many "so called" saviours on here, its pretty funny. Gaunce, Goldobin, Baertchi, Bear, Motte, Stretcher, the list goes on and on. Some guys are just not that good.:classic_biggrin:

18 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Cause IMO he's probably not gonna make the on ice product any better

Probably not. But he just might. So if it doesn't cost anything, league minimum that can be buried in the minors with no cap hit, why not? I would say sign him now, try it out, and if it doesn't work you have time till deadline to look at other options. 

11 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

He's not the only player on the ice so not really that big a deal he'd be 4th line PP2 duties anyway and around 10 minutes a night at most. 

3 time cup champ. At this point, I'll take all the good voodoo we can get. He had surprisingly good regular season production last year. But only played 4 games in the playoffs. We'd have 3 contract slots after signing him. So it's not even a huge deal on the contract slot side. We can still add some folks via trade or college free agency even if we sign him and end up waiving him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I mean can’t be worse than miller in that department he’s much better now but I have yet to see him beeline it in the backcheck after a turnover 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Apparently we have interest in Ristolainen too?

That one I don’t understand.

I think it's more the media that have interest in Ristolainen and every other player that may possibly be a fit for the Canucks. When some of these insiders say "I've heard the Canucks are interested in..." I wonder how much of that is just pure speculation without any real inside sources.

54 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Where is he going to fit in this roster? Seriously. I see our forward lines pretty set , with the exception of Suter on the top line. Is he going to go there playing 20 + minutes a night? 

Sometimes I don't think guys think this out in a team perspective. How is he going to help us WIN!? 

If he is going to help out in a pinch during the regular season, fine, but this guy is not going to keep up in the playoffs, I seen him play last year you guys are going to be sadly disappointed in what he is going to bring to the table.

Either he is a key component or he isn't and I like what we have now. The only weakness I see is that we don't have a big bruising winger on either of the top 2 lines. he is not going to help us there so I really don't see a need for him, unless we need a professional bench warmer. :classic_biggrin:

If Rick Tocchet likes Kessel, I trust his judgment.  He's the coach that has this roster playing as the top team in the NHL.

I think Kessel would play in Suter's spot and we would then have Suter move back down where Aman is. 

Kessel = Suter when it comes to production in a top 6 role.

Suter >>> Aman when it comes to a 4C role.

That's how this team improves with a move like this.  That's how it helps this team win (not even talking about the intangibles like leadership and experience).

And I don't know where you're seeing 20+ minutes a night.  Suter only plays 15:44 a night and 1:28 of that is PK time. 

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I think it's more the media that have interest in Ristolainen and every other player that may possibly be a fit for the Canucks. When some of these insiders say "I've heard the Canucks are interested in..." I wonder how much of that is just pure speculation without any real inside sources.

Also could just a negotiating tactic. Letting other teams, like Calgary for instance, know that they are in on other players. To try lower the price on acquiring Tanev. If y'all deadset on getting a 1st for Tanev we'll find another option for cheaper and you get nothing. Potentially.

• Cheers 1

Could be interesting.  Mel Bridgman played a somewhat similar role for a similar length of time in 1989.  The 1994 Canucks had Jimmy Carson as an extra option for the lineup.

I've always had a soft spot for old veterans though.  I wanted to sign Owen Nolan when he did that last pre-season with us.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Also could just a negotiating tactic. Letting other teams, like Calgary for instance, know that they are in on other players. To try lower the price on acquiring Tanev. If y'all deadset on getting a 1st for Tanev we'll find another option for cheaper and you get nothing. Potentially.

Yep I think Tanev is still the top target if they're adding one more bigger piece

Last year we used our spare contract spots on guys like hirose and mcward, now that our team is becoming very deep we don’t have the promised ice time to give to guys out of college and it will be a lot tougher to recruit, which is why I’m all for signing Phil at league minimum if he’s not fitting in bury him no risk at all 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Phil was one of the fastest skaters in the league at one point, I'm sure he has slowed down a bit but I'm willing to bet he is still in the top half of our team in speed. If we can sign him for a million or less I say do it he can't hurt the team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1