[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

This is from last year.  No, he's not fast, but he's not slow either.  So don't make it sound like the guy skates in molasses. 

Good find! I think some on here just have to find negatives / be negative. Sadly, some of their opinions seem to be based on assumptions & ignorance. To me, the positives far outweigh any possible negatives. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

Good find! I think some on here just have to find negatives / be negative. Sadly, some of their opinions seem to be based on assumptions & ignorance. To me, the positives far outweigh any possible negatives. 

Sure, Kessel ONLY played 4 playoff games last year, but look at it this way...

He played more than half of a playoff round while providing 0.5 PPG, and was a +2, all while averaging only 11:47 ATOI.  If we can get 0.4 to 0.5 PPG out of Kessel, I think we'd all be pretty happy about that. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Sure, Kessel ONLY played 4 playoff games last year, but look at it this way...

He played more than half of a playoff round while providing 0.5 PPG, and was a +2, all while averaging only 11:47 ATOI.  If we can get 0.4 to 0.5 PPG out of Kessel, I think we'd all be pretty happy about that. 

Totally agree! Not to mention his playoff / cup experience.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Kessel isn't slow. Just not the fastest and I'm not sure on his conditioning. That's for management and coaching to figure out. He's no slower than Brock. 

He has supposedly been keeping in shape the entire season so theoretically his conditioning shouldn't be too big of an issue. That being said, it's probably still a bit of a step up when it comes to the conditioning required to play actual games.

• Cheers 2

Kessels experience alone is worth bringing in for playoffs. He’s been in every big moment situation and his experience is invaluable to a young team like ours.

Best of all its free! And adds depth!

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Kessels experience alone is worth bringing in for playoffs. He’s been in every big moment situation and his experience is invaluable to a young team like ours.

The way I see it, we'd be doing no different than what teams like Detroit have done in bringing in vets at the trade deadline. In fact, we'd be doing exactly what Vegas did last year with the same dude (minus the fact Kessel signed at the beginning of that season with Vegas). lol

Edited by The Lock

4 hours ago, Canuck You said:

But with what cap space, Someone's gonna have to move and our bottom 6 is looking mighty fine.

We have the space, you're not going to sign Kessel to a multi-million dollar deal. If you're signing him, it's prorated 1 million....ish cap hit.

If he wants to compete again, I'd like to know if he can keep up to the NHL pace first.

his last contract with Vegas was for 1.5 million. I think of a contending team put a 1 million prorated offer in front of him, he'd probably sign on.

Again though, I would want to see if he can still keep up. He's never been that fast, but he's got one of the better shots in the game and is a strong player. If he doesn't hurt us, just the idea of having him on the power play might be worth it.

Edited by VegasCanuck

Can't they start him in Abby and see how he does? If he doesn't look up to snuff then let him play out the year down there. I don't see him as replacing anyone in our lineup, but when an injury inevitably occurs then we have him in waiting. I think Abby is struggling with some injuries as well, no?

Edited by Jester13
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Déjà Vu said:

From what i read, hes in perfect shape to step in, hes been working out and stuff , awaiting a team, from all the buzz around the net

You'd think though....

If he's in great shape, and isn't looking for big money, and been available since July... why hasn't a team already signed him?

What are we missing

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Can't they start him in Abby and see how he does? If he doesn't look up to snuff then let him play out the year down there. I don't see him as replacing anyone in our lineup, but when an injury inevitably occurs then we have him in waiting. I think Abby is struggling with some injuries as well, no?

I doubt Kessel would ever sign a 2 way contract

Just now, JayDangles said:

You'd think though....

If he's in great shape, and isn't looking for big money, and been available since July... why hasn't a team already signed him?

What are we missing

he doesn't want the wear and tear of a full season, at this point he just wants to be around for a run. And why not if he can pull that off? 

I think if we've exhausted all other deals and we still have cap left for a small deal, then why not?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

If Rick Tocchet likes Kessel, I trust his judgment.  He's the coach that has this roster playing as the top team in the NHL.

I think Kessel would play in Suter's spot and we would then have Suter move back down where Aman is. 

Kessel = Suter when it comes to production in a top 6 role.

Suter >>> Aman when it comes to a 4C role.

That's how this team improves with a move like this.  That's how it helps this team win (not even talking about the intangibles like leadership and experience).

And I don't know where you're seeing 20+ minutes a night.  Suter only plays 15:44 a night and 1:28 of that is PK time. 

Liking him and wanting him to play on your top line are 2 different things. 

Cool! Kessel playing on the top line, who's gonna go into the corners to retrieve the puck then? :classic_biggrin: Just askin.

50 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

I watched all of Vegas's playoff games last year and I didn't see one play that resembles that one out of Phil. If I did, I would have a different opinion of him, obviously. I am surprised by that speed too. Wow. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

This seems like the most unlikely possibility to be honest. He's likely playing or he's scratched. I've even heard he doesn't mind being scratched but who knows.

6 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Liking him and wanting him to play on your top line are 2 different things. 

Cool! Kessel playing on the top line, who's gonna go into the corners to retrieve the puck then? :classic_biggrin: Just askin.

I've given you the stats... Kessel produces offensively just as well as Suter, which means we don't lose anything in our top 6 by placing Kessel there in place of Suter. 

What we GAIN is Suter moves back into the 4C slot and vastly improves our 4th line, and the depth overall.

All you've provided is excuses that are based on personal opinion. 

• Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

he doesn't want the wear and tear of a full season, at this point he just wants to be around for a run. And why not if he can pull that off? 

I think if we've exhausted all other deals and we still have cap left for a small deal, then why not?

Team chemistry is something to consider.

Remember how different Miller was when Horvat was around? 

Our leaders have spent the year being leaders. Introducing a new veteran leader type guy might throw off the balance. 

Probably not, but you never know.

I'd still lean towards a winger with some size and grit. 

But I trust Allvin and Co.

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Well I wouldn't want to use up the last of our salary cap for a 13th guy whose hanging out in Abby.

If he can't slide into the top 6 immediately then we should be looking elsehwere

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Team chemistry is something to consider.

Remember how different Miller was when Horvat was around? 

Our leaders have spent the year being leaders. Introducing a new veteran leader type guy might throw off the balance. 

Probably not, but you never know.

I'd still lean towards a winger with some size and grit. 

But I trust Allvin and Co.

Yep, if Tocc wants him that's probably a good sign.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Yep, if Tocc wants him that's probably a good sign.

Yup, it's not like Tocc doesn't know what kinda player he is.  He's very familiar with him and what he can bring to the table for this team.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2