[Rumour] Flyers willing to part with Ristolainen

I'm with coconuts 🥥 with this. Why would you use assets to get a defenseman at a certain price and term when you can get another defenseman just by signing him (to probably the same (or a little higher) cap hit and term?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Anyone confused by this? Teams that are in the playoff hunt usually aren't sellers.

Flyers have been sliding, they're also down Hart and rank towards the bottom of the league in terms of goals scored, shooting percentage, and powerplay 

They're a good defensive team but their firepower has been failing them 

With Hart they were maybe a dark horse out East, without him they'll probably continue to slide 

They beat the Panthers last game but they'd lost five in a row leading up to it 

Edited by Coconuts

Kind of like Myers but worse.
Some eye popping skills and size but just isn’t great at processing the game at the pace needs to. 
He has been on losing team after losing team, gotta wear on a guy. 

On our D I see him as a 7. Though with Tocchet’s preference for righties, maybe a 6. 
Not sure any D can handle Risto and Myers on the same D. 

Just now, Coryberg said:

You must have picked the rose coloured lens jfresh card. Either way 5.1 million is insane for a 3rd pairing D. Seen a bunch of Philly fans saying they want two 1sts if they retain 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20240208_133139_X.jpg

Sorry, I picked an outdated card.  Here's the one from this year:

image.png.fca89aef2328314230dd8631190fb2a6.png

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So we’re gonna rebuild the 2014-15 Sabres D that had them finish worst in the league?? (Ristolainen, Zadorov, Myers) 😂

to be fair. sabres main core pieces (Eichel(Vegas), Reinhart (Florida)) did face-off in the stanley cup final last year. Eichel(vegas), Reinhart (florida)

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Both of the ones you found are weighted amongst forwards, mine is defenceman... unless you are looking at him for the 4th line

29 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Flyers have been sliding, they're also down Hart and rank towards the bottom of the league in terms of goals scored, shooting percentage, and powerplay 

They're a good defensive team but their firepower has been failing them 

With Hart they were maybe a dark horse out East, without him they'll probably continue to slide 

They beat the Panthers last game but they'd lost five in a row leading up to it 

Thanks Coconuts. I didn't see the big picture, and forgot about Hart.

• Cheers 1

Glad for him he steadied out as a solid 3rd pair guy. 

But if we take all this as true then no shot do I wanna pay a 1st or a even a 2nd for him at 25% retained. 

Maybe a 2nd a B- prospect  for him at 40%-50% retained. Even then it could go sideways and we end up with dead weight. Torts is a hardass and is likely getting the best team defensive effort out of that group that a person can. 

19 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Both of the ones you found are weighted amongst forwards, mine is defenceman... unless you are looking at him for the 4th line

Its a typo on the Jfresh sheet for this year.

you can see at the bottom its for defence.

image.png.57184aee1e931af4884b842731958d00.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

You do realize even in your graph his EV defence is around the 90th percentile?  The numbers on the left are weighted over his past three years.  The last two years he's completely bought into Tortorella's system.

• Cheers 2

On the subject, big name and a great example of reinventing your game. I think this guy would be a tremendous asset to any team that acquires him. Huge upgrade for the Canucks on the right side. If they could swing some retention I could see this being a very productive move.

22 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You do realize even in your graph his EV defence is around the 90th percentile?  The numbers on the left are weighted over his past three years.  The last two years he's completely bought into Tortorella's system.

Oh so he's only actually good in Tortorella's system.

Not like we needed a reason to pass on a multi year 5.1 million dollar 3rd pairing D.

49 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Ok at say a retained cap hit of $3.5M for this kinda performance, and more coaching from Foote and Gonchar, we could find some solid value here.  I can't see a trade happening at this TDL though.  Would have to be an offseason move. 

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Ok at say a retained cap hit of $3.5M for this kinda performance, and more coaching from Foote and Gonchar, we could find some solid value here.  I can't see a trade happening at this TDL though.  Would have to be an offseason move. 

Almost certainly, it doesn't make any sense for the Canucks in-season

With Myers, Cole, and Zadorov being pending UFA's there could be room 

I'm not advocating for it, but I don't necessarily see any of the aforementioned being sure bets to be Canucks next season

I think Myers would be the most likely to give the Canucks a discount of sorts

I could see Cole coming back for similar money, not sure he's in the longer term plans

I could see Zadorov wanting more than the Canucks wanting to pay regarding cap hit, term, or both

20 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Oh so he's only actually good in Tortorella's system.

Not like we needed a reason to pass on a multi year 5.1 million dollar 3rd pairing D.

What???  Dude - he hit rock bottom because he was so weak defensively, until Torts whipped him into shape and he started to become a legitimate shutdown defenceman.  Why are you dismissing what he's accomplished in Philly so far?  The guy has worked his ass off to get back to where he is now.  After being such a brutal defensive liability in Buffalo, he's carved out a nice little role as a solid 4/5th defensive D-man.  Give the player some damn credit.

I'm not saying whether he's a good fit here or not.  He does earn a lot of money for what he brings to the table.  But I'll say this - if you had to replace Myers with Risto, things would probably be just fine.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Rasmus Ristolainen is a guy who was buyout material only a couple years ago.  Since then he's worked his fucking socks off and he's now a pretty reliable defenceman.  Full credit to him for not mailing it in after getting the bag.

image.png.3060522287b03ccdb65abbd3ce4c1938.png

For sure. We've figured Myers out too but I just don't see the fit with Ristolainen here.