[Rumour] Flyers willing to part with Ristolainen

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

I watched this guy for quite a while as a Buffalo fan.  I like him more than most but he's just not a fit for us imo.  Unless you move out Myers I suppose 

Just now, Bob Long said:

Are they willing to retain 1/2? Not even sure we'd want him at that price. 

He is a radically different player compared to his Buffalo years.  Comparable to Chris Tanev in some ways.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Almost certainly, it doesn't make any sense for the Canucks in-season

With Myers, Cole, and Zadorov being pending UFA's there could be room 

I'm not advocating for it, but I don't necessarily see any of the aforementioned being sure bets to be Canucks next season

I think Myers would be the most likely to give the Canucks a discount of sorts

I could see Cole coming back for similar money, not sure he's in the longer term plans

I could see Zadorov wanting more than the Canucks wanting to pay regarding cap hit, term, or both

I think a lot will depend on how far the Canucks go in the playoffs.  Finals or Cup win and I could see guys wanting to stick around to give it another go.

On the open market, Myers probably gets $4M+, same with Zadorov.  Cole probably still gets $3M or so.  Having a guy like Risto at $3.5M for a couple more years would make sense if the comparable is Myers at $4M+.

I did hear Zadorov loves Vancouver though (his favourite team apparently?).  Hope that comes into play a bit. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

For sure. We've figured Myers out too but I just don't see the fit with Ristolainen here. 

There's a fairly obvious fit if we let Myers walk in the summer.  He's on contract for another three years anyway so I don't see Ristolainen being moved as a deadline trade.  He will have the exact same value in July, so Philly might as well see if they can push for the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

He is a radically different player compared to his Buffalo years.  Comparable to Chris Tanev in some ways.

yea I'm highly suspect of that. I think he's being carried by his partners and system. I'd need to see a breakdown showing that he's good on his own. 

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I think we're on the same page.  He's an upgrade on Myers but Myers has to go or it doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think a lot will depend on how far the Canucks go in the playoffs.  Finals or Cup win and I could see guys wanting to stick around to give it another go.

On the open market, Myers probably gets $4M+, same with Zadorov.  Cole probably still gets $3M or so.  Having a guy like Risto at $3.5M for a couple more years would make sense if the comparable is Myers at $4M+.

I did hear Zadorov loves Vancouver though (his favourite team apparently?).  Hope that comes into play a bit. 

I dunno, Zadorov currently makes 3.75M, that 4M+ could be significant and I'm still not convinced he's anything more than a 5D with size 

Maybe he takes less than market value to stay in Van, I dunno 

We don't get Risto at 3.5M without paying for him and for Philly to retain, not sure I'd go that route over someone who'd only cost us money 

Maybe Philly's keen to sell high, it doesn't really make sense to take on more lengthy dead cap to do it though if there's not a worthwhile return 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yea I'm highly suspect of that. I think he's being carried by his partners and system. I'd need to see a breakdown showing that he's good on his own. 

If a player had to jump from a Torts coaching system to a Tocchet system, I think that transition would be fairly smooth.  And yet, as I do more digging... Ristolainen's transition to Torts' system was painful but he dramatically improved game after game.  Risto's first year in Philly was brutal playing under... former head coach and current Canucks assistant coach Mike Yeo.

Just now, Miss Korea said:

If a player had to jump from a Torts coaching system to a Tocchet system, I think that transition would be fairly smooth.  And yet, as I do more digging... Ristolainen's transition to Torts' system was painful but he dramatically improved game after game.  Risto's first year in Philly was brutal playing under... former head coach and current Canucks assistant coach Mike Yeo.

Hmm, dunno. His bad play scares me. But OTOH look what tocc has done with Myers.

59 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno, Zadorov currently makes 3.75M, that 4M+ could be significant and I'm still not convinced he's anything more than a 5D with size 

Maybe he takes less than market value to stay in Van, I dunno 

We don't get Risto at 3.5M without paying for him and for Philly to retain, not sure I'd go that route over someone who'd only cost us money 

Maybe Philly's keen to sell high, it doesn't really make sense to take on more lengthy dead cap to do it though if there's not a worthwhile return 

I also think that Zadorov is probably a 5D with size and that he is probably going to be looking to see what his market value is. Maybe 4M+

I normally would never suggest that we sign a third pairing defenseman for $4 mil but I might reconsider for Zadorov. I noticed that we were playing with a bit more bite after we got Zad. Everybody was seeming to play with more swagger. Not to say that the team was filled with shrinking violets before the Zad trade but that some of the players started acting like they were an inch taller and ten pounds heavier than before the trade.

I'm also thinking of the Boston team of the last decade and how they appeared to play a little ballsier knowing that Chara was around. Almost no one wanted to tangle with Chara and the Bruins team had some noticeable swagger. At least partially explains why Marchand is still around and why he is doing so well.

Zadorov appears to be having a similar impact from being big and physical for our team.

So I might be willing to give him 4M+.

Will have to see how the rest of the season plays out and also what we can do make the cap work for next year.

Edited by Artemus
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I imagine a third and a 5th or possibly a second depending on how much they retain... 1.1-1.6 million... I suppose this would be a fairly good myers replacement, but we shouldn't expect the player to develop more than a 5th than can stepup when needed... interesting though

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

I think we're on the same page.  He's an upgrade on Myers but Myers has to go or it doesn't make sense.

i like this thought... perhaps we can still use Myers cap to our advantage trading him FOR Ristolainen or trading him separate to the Leafs at a small retention say 2 million... could allow us to go for a player like Alexandre Carrier or even Chychrun... or perhaps a forward like Sissons who im very high on.

not sure where philli is heading in the playoff standings, but im guessing with carter hart out they are expecting missing the playoffs, so perhaps Myers trade for Risto is unlikely to  happen.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Artemus said:

I also think that Zadorov is probably a 5D with size and that he is probably going to be looking to see what his market value is. Maybe 4M+

I normally would never suggest that we sign a third pairing defenseman for $4 mil but I might reconsider for Zadorov. I noticed that we were playing with a bit more bite after we got Zad. Everybody was seeming to play with more swagger. Not to say that the team was filled with shrinking violets before the Zad trade but that some of the players started acting like they were an inch taller and ten pounds heavier than before the trade.

I'm also thinking of the Boston team of the last decade and how they appeared to play a little ballsier knowing that Chara was around. Almost no one wanted to tangle with Chara and the Bruins team had some noticeable swagger. At least partially explains why Marchand is still around and why he is doing so well.

Zadorov appears to be having a similar impact from being big and physical for our team.

So I might be willing to give him 4M+.

Will have to see how the rest of the season plays out and also what we can do make the cap work for next year.

Mixed feelings on Zadorov, he does bring some positive attributes but I do peg him as more of a 5 than a 4. He's certainly not a 3. He was a 5 in Calgary and outside of Hughes and Hronek, I like their top 4 better than ours. Or at least their second pairing. 

Maybe management views him as more of a 4, but eh. He should command 4M+, I just question what the + is. Someone would overpay him via UFA, it's not a matter of if so much as who.

I could just see management washing their hands of him if his ask is too high, I don't view him as a must keep at all costs sort of D. He's big, but there are other big but not so big D out there. Hell, Ristolainen is one of them. 

17 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

I imagine a third and a 5th or possibly a second depending on how much they retain... 1.1-1.6 million... I suppose this would be a fairly good myers replacement, but we shouldn't expect the player to develop more than a 5th than can stepup when needed... interesting though

They'd be using their second retainment slot for a good while for a 3rd and a 5th though is the thing, they're already retaining 3.5M on Hayes for another couple seasons 

If they're going to retain they should be looking to get good value out of it, particularly if he's actually playing sound defense under Torts 

Edited by Coconuts

8 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

3rd and a 5th for a RHD with term and salary retention? I am not big on Risto but they aren't retaining salary on him just for a few table scraps. Lol. We traded a 3rd and a 5th for Zadorov with no retention and no term beyond this season on his deal. Risto with retention is a 2nd and a B prospect at a minimum. Might even try finagle a 1st rounder outta someone. Toronto might bite. 3 extra years and 3.5mil cap hit. Physical. Having a 3.5mil guy in their top 4 is perfect for their current cap situation. By all rights I am surprised they haven't ponied up yet.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

3rd and a 5th for a RHD with term and salary retention? I am not big on Risto but they aren't retaining salary on him just for a few table scraps. Lol. We traded a 3rd and a 5th for Zadorov with no retention and no term beyond this season on his deal. Risto with retention is a 2nd and a B prospect at a minimum. Might even try finagle a 1st rounder outta someone. Toronto might bite. 3 extra years and 3.5mil cap hit. Physical. Having a 3.5mil guy in their top 4 is perfect for their current cap situation. By all rights I am surprised they haven't ponied up yet.

1st question is risto better than Zadorov? 2nd question did you just pass by they 2nd i mentioned... and third... why would anyone give a prospect for a 5th defenceman?

Edited by MidKnight Ego

14 hours ago, Coconuts said:

They'd be using their second retainment slot for a good while for a 3rd and a 5th though is the thing, they're already retaining 3.5M on Hayes for another couple seasons 

If they're going to retain they should be looking to get good value out of it, particularly if he's actually playing sound defense under Torts 

if he's overpaid then he's a detriment, there is ways to trade him just like we did with kuzmenko and beauvillier, but without retention they're stuck with him.

• Vintage 1

If they can find some way to fit this under the cap and it doesn’t cost us a 1st… I guess fly at it with the retention.

$3.5 million is a decent price for a 3rd pairing guy who can move up in case of injury.  I am not sure we will be able to extend Cole and Zadorov so our defence will take some work again.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Tanev

XX-Ristolainen

Juulsen

If Cole extends that is a really good 3rd pairing.

I have faith in our D coaches to be able to get the best out of a guy like Zadorov.  They managed to turn Myers from a big liability to an average player.

Edited by Provost

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

If they can find some way to fit this under the cap and it doesn’t cost us a 1st… I guess fly at it with the retention.

$3.5 million is a decent price for a 3rd pairing guy who can move up in case of injury.  I am not sure we will be able to extend Cole and Zadorog so our defence will take some work again.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Tanev

XX-Zadorov

Juulsen

If Cole extends that is a really good 3rd pairing.

I have faith in our D coaches to be able to get the best out of a guy like Zadorov.  They managed to turn Myers from a big liability to an average player.

New Management likes their top pairing for sure. And after those two they seem to want big, physical D, who are smart and can fill a specific role. So seeing interest in Risto is somewhat surprising considering he’s a dough head. 

19 hours ago, Coconuts said:

He's been better this season, albeit as more of a third pairing guy 

I'd assume that if the Canucks acquire him it'll probably be more of an offseason move 

We have a lot of D cap coming off between Myers, Cole, and Zadorov 

Though I'd personally prefer to just retain Myers 

"Coming off", but all three of those positions need to be replaced, so more possibly changing out, not coming off.   Not a great crop of ufa dmen either