[Rumour] Flyers willing to part with Ristolainen

21 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Does Risto + Tanev = Myers money next season?   That would be an upgrade while giving us good depth during the OEL's biggest buyout penalty years.

If Allvin pulled that off, he'd probably win GM of the year (again?).

Risto would have to come in at $3.5M

Tanev would have to take a pretty good discount at $2.5M

Would be amazing though.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Does Risto + Tanev = Myers money next season?   That would be an upgrade while giving us good depth during the OEL's biggest buyout penalty years.

Well the discussion is the Flyers retaining on Risto so it maybe wouldn't be so far off.  I think Tanev costs a little more than what people think even with a "hometown" discount... but if you could get those two for around $7 million combined that would be a coup. 

His agent would never go for it, but a 1 year deal for Tanev which turns any future deals into 35+ contracts would be perfect.  The 35+ ones give lots of options for bonuses and that creates cap flexibility as you can pay whatever amount of the bonus you have under that cap that year (assuming we aren't in LTIR forever), but push the rest into the following year.  It lets you completely use up every dollar of cap space in a year.

There is smoke around Zadorov maybe not extending with random rumours popping up... so having guys who want to be here and/or are under club control may be a good thing so you aren't overpaying in free agency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

if he's overpaid then he's a detriment, there is ways to trade him just like we did with kuzmenko and beauvillier, but without retention they're stuck with him.

At that point they'd probably stick with him, teams can eat having overpaid players if they're playing effective hockey

May be easier to move with less term going forward anyway 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

"Coming off", but all three of those positions need to be replaced, so more possibly changing out, not coming off.   Not a great crop of ufa dmen either

It's true, a lot of it'll go right back into the defense 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

I'd be surprised, that'd require quite a discount from Tanev and I just don't see it 

There's a good chance this next deal could be Tanev's last

That'd be roughly 3.5M for Risto and 2.5 for Tanev

Tanev's currently making 4.5M and will be a UFA, gotta figure he could at least get his current 4.5 for 2-3 years somewhere

Maybe he'd come here for 3.5-4, but less would be surprising imo

Lot of interested teams, plenty would likely take him on for just money and term

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be surprised, that'd require quite a discount from Tanev and I just don't see it 

There's a good chance this next deal could be Tanev's last

That'd be roughly 3.5M for Risto and 2.5 for Tanev

Tanev's currently making 4.5M and will be a UFA, gotta figure he could at least get his current 4.5 for 2-3 years somewhere

Maybe he'd come here for 3.5-4, but less would be surprising imo

Lot of interested teams, plenty would likely take him on for just money and term

And not a great looking crop of ufa dmen, especially rhd, so tanevs value should go up

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

And not a great looking crop of ufa dmen, especially rhd, so tanevs value should go up

And potentially that of Myers, Cole, and Zadorov I'd imagine

Defense could look quite different next season

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

And potentially that of Myers, Cole, and Zadorov I'd imagine

Defense could look quite different next season

For sure, the team, in general, is probably going to be quite different 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

For sure, the team, in general, is probably going to be quite different 

Probs, that's the cost of individual and team success, guys want to get paid 

Wouldn't be surprised if one or none of our third liners were here next season

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'd rather just keep Myers as well

Lot of positives to retaining him

I too would like to re-up Myers.

Is it possible to keep Myers and Zadorov and also add Risto?

Doing some arithmetic in my head and I am thinking ... yes!

Risto would require retention by Philly so as to get him at a 3.5M caphit. Philly would want to be compensated for that.

There could be no UFA signing of Tanev.

Ian Cole would not be re-signed.

Myers re-signed at 4M give or take a bit. I realize that Myers would probably get more from another team this summer but maybe some inducements may sway him.

Zadorov would have to accept 4M. (Maybe a small additional bit).

This would leave us with a leftover amount, from what we are paying our defense this year, of roughly 1.25M (depending on what if any extra amounts were paid to Myers and/or Zadorov). This 1.25M could be, in part, used to pay for the increase in AAV for a Hronek re-signing.

We would have the following defense for next year.

Hughes       Hronek

Soucy          Risto....

Zadorov       Myers

Friedman     Juulson

Would require both Myers and Zadorov to maybe take a lesser amount than what could be available in UFA. Perhaps some inducements (extra year?, etc.)

Have to be aware of the poison pill (OEL) that Benning left us. The cap not only for next year but the two years after that when we have almost a 5M reduction in our available cap. This may affect how many years that we could comfortably offer anyone.

Edited by Artemus
  • Cheers 2

i think zads might be strictly a rental.... we might go after pesce... yes hes having a down year, but if we can get him for under 6 thats a savings for a player that could be our #3 for 5 million at the rate he is scoring right now... either that or Tanev or Myers comes back for a number that starts with 3...

Zads will have to give us a discount cause he's not worth 4.5 million dollars at best he's soucy money...

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

For the people that want Risto retained to about 3.5 million cap hit per year. 

Would you be fine with Canucks trading their 2025 1st round pick for him? 

Only if it was part of a bigger deal with Couturier coming our way and Myers going the other way.

Edited by DeNiro

4 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

For the people that want Risto retained to about 3.5 million cap hit per year. 

Would you be fine with Canucks trading their 2025 1st round pick for him? 

I am hearing, mainly in this forum, that the 2025 draft is being projected as a good to very good draft year.

Wasn't really considering parting with a first. Personally, I was thinking a second and some other considerations.

What would you think of a conditional 1st? Top 16 protected?

57 minutes ago, Artemus said:

I too would like to re-up Myers.

Is it possible to keep Myers and Zadorov and also add Risto?

Doing some arithmetic in my head and I am thinking ... yes!

Risto would require retention by Philly so as to get him at a 3.5M caphit. Philly would want to be compensated for that.

There could be no UFA signing of Tanev.

Ian Cole would not be re-signed.

Myers re-signed at 4M give or take a bit. I realize that Myers would probably get more from another team this summer but maybe some inducements may sway him.

Zadorov would have to accept 4M. (Maybe a small additional bit).

This would leave us with a leftover amount, from what we are paying our defense this year, of roughly 1.25M (depending on what if any extra amounts were paid to Myers and/or Zadorov). This 1.25M could be, in part, used to pay for the increase in AAV for a Hronek re-signing.

We would have the following defense for next year.

Hughes       Hronek

Soucy          Risto....

Zadorov       Myers

Friedman     Juulson

Would require both Myers and Zadorov to maybe take a lesser amount than what could be available in UFA. Perhaps some inducements (extra year?, etc.)

Have to be aware of the poison pill (OEL) that Benning left us. The cap not only for next year but the two years after that when we have almost a 5M reduction in our available cap. This may affect how many years that we could comfortably offer anyone.

I could see Myers taking less to stay given his tenure with the team and BC roots

I'm less convinced Zadorov would accept a 250k raise, but it could depend on the term offered

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

i think zads might be strictly a rental.... we might go after pesce... yes hes having a down year, but if we can get him for under 6 thats a savings for a player that could be our #3 for 5 million at the rate he is scoring right now... either that or Tanev or Myers comes back for a number that starts with 3...

Zads will have to give us a discount cause he's not worth 4.5 million dollars at best he's soucy money...

Def could be, he'd command a lot of UFA interest 

At the end of the day it'd be a smaller cost to rent him though 

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Only if it was part of a bigger deal with Couturier coming our way and Myers going the other way.

From what I read is Philly wants a first for Risto with some retention. So in this scenario it would be one for one. 

15 minutes ago, Artemus said:

I am hearing, mainly in this forum, that the 2025 draft is being projected as a good to very good draft year.

Wasn't really considering parting with a first. Personally, I was thinking a second and some other considerations.

What would you think of a conditional 1st? Top 16 protected?

I think Philly would accept it (if the rumor of them wanting a 1st for Risto is true), since they are likely expecting to trade him to a contender which would put the pick in the back half of the first round anyway. 

Personally I haven't watch any Philly hockey outside of Van playing them, so I don't know how Risto is doing apart from people on the internet saying he's a solid defensive 3rd pair guy now. Previously he always sounded like a trainwreck. Very similar to Meyers and definitely not a top 4 Dman in anyway. 

So my gut would be no to the trade, but if the pro scouts really love what they see and think his new play is legit and will last (including factors like who he's being coached by in Philly and his deployment) then I can't argue much against it. I'm not sure how closely people here have actually watched Risto play, so it is hard to gauge. 

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tanev on the open market easily gets $4 million. That’s what Radko Gudas got last summer. 

I'd say tanev gets $5-6m.   It's a poor crop of Ufa dmen, especially rhd

Edited by stawns

39 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

I think Philly would accept it (if the rumor of them wanting a 1st for Risto is true), since they are likely expecting to trade him to a contender which would put the pick in the back half of the first round anyway. 

Personally I haven't watch any Philly hockey outside of Van playing them, so I don't know how Risto is doing apart from people on the internet saying he's a solid defensive 3rd pair guy now. Previously he always sounded like a trainwreck. Very similar to Meyers and definitely not a top 4 Dman in anyway. 

So my gut would be no to the trade, but if the pro scouts really love what they see and think his new play is legit and will last (including factors like who he's being coached by in Philly and his deployment) then I can't argue much against it. I'm not sure how closely people here have actually watched Risto play, so it is hard to gauge. 

We don't know what that 2025 pick might be as this team is going to be a lot different next season.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I could see Myers taking less to stay given his tenure with the team and BC roots

I'm less convinced Zadorov would accept a 250k raise, but it could depend on the term offered

I think there's a good chance Zadorov takes less to stay...

We know how beautiful Vancouver is as a city, what are your thoughts on coming to the West Coast?

"My draft was 2013 and Vancouver made the Cory Schneider trade for 9th overall and they were my favourite team but they picked Bo [Horvat] and Bo was my [London Knights] teammate so I was a bit jealous," said Zadorov with a laugh. "But I still ended up in a good organization with [the] Buffalo Sabres. It's definitely a dream to play for your childhood favourite team."

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/i-m-here-to-help-i-m-an-added-piece-to-a-great-team-a-q-a-with-newest-canuck-nikita-zadorov

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say tanev gets $5-6m.   It's a poor crop of Ufa dmen, especially rhd

Too much.  I can't see him getting that much. 

The RHD UFA crop this offseason (pending any re-signings) includes:

Pesce, Tanev, Myers, Montour, Roy, Carrier, Demelo, Lyubushkin, Walker, Miller, Barrie, Klingberg, Dumba, DeAngelo, Hakanpaa, Stecher, Bortuzzo, Bogosian, Schultz, Zaitsev, ....

There's enough there that no team will be so desperate that they'd hand out a $5M to $6M deal for a 34yo Tanev.