[Rumour] Flyers willing to part with Ristolainen

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Too much.  I can't see him getting that much. 

The RHD UFA crop this offseason (pending any re-signings) includes:

Pesce, Tanev, Myers, Montour, Roy, Carrier, Demelo, Lyubushkin, Walker, Miller, Barrie, Klingberg, Dumba, DeAngelo, Hakanpaa, Stecher, Bortuzzo, Bogosian, Schultz, Zaitsev, ....

There's enough there that no team will be so desperate that they'd hand out a $5M to $6M deal for a 34yo Tanev.

Most of those guys are #5-6 dmen and I bet many will stay with their current teams, peace included

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Most of those guys are #5-6 dmen and I bet many will stay with their current teams, peace included

At this stage of his career, Tanev is bordering on #4/#5 territory anyways.  He's not the young workhorse he was when he was with Vancouver.  I just simply can't see a team handing out $5M to $6M on a defensive defenceman.

Edited by HKSR

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think there's a good chance Zadorov takes less to stay...

We know how beautiful Vancouver is as a city, what are your thoughts on coming to the West Coast?

"My draft was 2013 and Vancouver made the Cory Schneider trade for 9th overall and they were my favourite team but they picked Bo [Horvat] and Bo was my [London Knights] teammate so I was a bit jealous," said Zadorov with a laugh. "But I still ended up in a good organization with [the] Buffalo Sabres. It's definitely a dream to play for your childhood favourite team."

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/i-m-here-to-help-i-m-an-added-piece-to-a-great-team-a-q-a-with-newest-canuck-nikita-zadorov

Possibly, but that depends on what he wants

"Less" is subjective 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Possibly, but that depends on what he wants

"Less" is subjective 

Less than market value... so we'd have to determine what his market value is.  Based on last year's UFA signings, I can't see much more than $4M to $4.5M.  Might even be on the high side as guys like Graves got $4.5M, Soucy at $3.25M, Gudas at $4M, Clifton at $3.33M, Dumoulin at $3.15M, Mayfield at $3.5M, etc. 

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Less than market value... so we'd have to determine what his market value is.  Based on last year's UFA signings, I can't see much more than $4M to $4.5M.  Might even be on the high side as guys like Graves got $4.5M, Soucy at $3.25M, Gudas at $4M, Clifton at $3.33M, Dumoulin at $3.15M, Mayfield at $3.5M, etc. 

Dunno, Tanev is a bit of an anomaly in that he's elite defensively, that's the curveball

He'd garner a lot of attention, Ottawa could really use him for example 

So could a team like Toronto, they could give him Brodie's money

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno, Tanev is a bit of an anomaly in that he's elite defensively, that's the curveball

He'd garner a lot of attention, Ottawa could really use him for example 

So could a team like Toronto, they could give him Brodie's money

Weren't we talking about Zadorov? lol

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

At this stage of his career, Tanev is bordering on #4/#5 territory anyways.  He's not the young workhorse he was when he was with Vancouver.  I just simply can't see a team handing out $5M to $6M on a defensive defenceman.

I think CT will be a solid top 4 till the day he hangs them up.  He's too skilled a skater and too smart not to be.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think CT will be a solid top 4 till the day he hangs them up.  He's too skilled a skater and too smart not to be.

Agree to disagree.  All players have a shelf life as a top 4D or top 6F.

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed. CT could play with Hughes for the next 3 seasons. Then Hronek could anchor our second pairing. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed. CT could play with Hughes for the next 3 seasons. Then Hronek could anchor our second pairing. 

They won't be able to afford CT, imo, either in a trade for assets or as a UFA

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Let hope a dumb team like Toronto does... I'd sign him given his history and relationship witht Quinn given he'll sign a short ideally 2 yr deal for 2ish... Can't see it...

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's less than what he's making now

True, but contracts will drop off as a guy ages, especially a guy like Tanev. So IMHAO CT would be looking at the total dollars in his next (and likely last) contract more than yearly cap allocation. Could even be 15 million over your years to bring the cap under four per. 

Just now, Alflives said:

True, but contracts will drop off as a guy ages, especially a guy like Tanev. So IMHAO CT would be looking at the total dollars in his next (and likely last) contract more than yearly cap allocation. Could even be 15 million over your years to bring the cap under four per. 

I don't think so, I think he's coming in at $5m+

Just now, stawns said:

I don't think so, I think he's coming in at $5m+

Wow! That’s a lot for a 34+ D man. Maybe he gets a one or two year contract at that cap allocation? Three years at 5 is 15 mil. But then, considering he’d likely be done after that contract, there could be a 4 x 4 deal to be made. He ends up with more money (16 total) and we get a better yearly cap allocation. 
I’ve heard JR talk before about the total dollars getting agreed to and then getting a term that fits the yearly cap allocation into what the club needs to keep a winner lineup. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wow! That’s a lot for a 34+ D man. Maybe he gets a one or two year contract at that cap allocation? Three years at 5 is 15 mil. But then, considering he’d likely be done after that contract, there could be a 4 x 4 deal to be made. He ends up with more money (16 total) and we get a better yearly cap allocation. 
I’ve heard JR talk before about the total dollars getting agreed to and then getting a term that fits the yearly cap allocation into what the club needs to keep a winner lineup. 

He's still a top 4 dman and this is likely the last crack at a big ufa contract.  It might be shorter term, but he's making $4.5m now and I don't see a paycut on his next deal

Just now, stawns said:

He's still a top 4 dman and this is likely the last crack at a big ufa contract.  It might be shorter term, but he's making $4.5m now and I don't see a paycut on his next deal

Understood. But it’s his last contract so the total number will be more important than yearly cap allocation. He might get 5 mil x three years from one club. But we could go four years at 4 per. Then he ultimately ends up with more. IMHAO no club will go five mil x four years. So we will win. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Understood. But it’s his last contract so the total number will be more important than yearly cap allocation. He might get 5 mil x three years from one club. But we could go four years at 4 per. Then he ultimately ends up with more. IMHAO no club will go five mil x four years. So we will win. 

I can see two more contracts for tanev......maybe 3 years on this one and 2-3 years on a final deal.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I can see two more contracts for tanev......maybe 3 years on this one and 2-3 years on a final deal.  

How much in total dollars over those contracts is the key number. IMHAO we should have never let him go in the first place. I wouldn’t be at all disappointed if we signed him to five years and 20 million on July 1. It’s the yearly cap allocation that is key. Stretch out the term as needed.