PGT - Canucks at Bruins - 02/08/2024

PhillipBlunt

23 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

2-1 at home in the 2020's and 0-3 on the road, no matter the era Boston has been a hard out on the road, bounce back game and all is forgotten. I find it so hilarious the one crying about the team folding like a cheap tent also folds like a cheap tent at the slightest hint of adversity. 

irony GIF

So spot on 73. Quite hilarious indeed and of course all the weak links jumped up and ran off the cliff at the slightest provocation.

Psssst, we can see you guys. :frantic: :classic_laugh:

• Cheers 2

I have to say, as good at Petey is, yesterday was important for me in my evaluation of his worth. He's going to want 11-12 million

I remember guys like the Twins, Bure, Naslund who were the "key offensive' players on our past teams. When you were down and NEEDED a goal, every shift you saw them pushing hard. They didn't always score but you could seem them TRYING to dominate the game...I honestly don't see that with Petterson. I see a guy who's uber talented offensively and defensively but not a guy who seems to raise to another level to get the team on his back.  I see him as "offensively opportunistic"

I see Quinn and Miller as guys who you SEE pushing...trying to change the game...Love Petey but I am not sold he's worth that much (obviously based on points he is), because when you pay a player that much money, said player needs to be able to CHANGE the game in BIG games...I don't see it in him.

Edited by Bardown
  • Vintage 2

So, basically, all season long fans have been waiting for that statement to show the rest of the league and other fanbases that the Canucks are legit. I mean, winning the previous eastern road trip and beating the NY teams made people stand up and take notice. That was all well and good.

Still, though, it only takes one game against Boston - the real legitimate test as a contender - for the sting and pain of 2011 to come flooding back. It's inescapable, it's very real, and unavoidable until we beat these guys and become the better team once and for all.

That pain, heartbreak, and anger should be used as motivation both as an organization and as a team to never let that happen again. And any one who is fortunate enough to join the Canucks should first and foremost have that "never again" mentality, which should also be ingrained in our Canucks identity. An understanding of our history should be a priority as a player in understanding why losing to the Bruins hurts more than the average game. 

In taking the positive from the loss, last night's game was a good opportunity to see exactly what we're lacking and what we need to do to become a top team.

Losing to the Bruins in that fashion, however, needs to be unacceptable. Period.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Then you aren't watching Boeser. He was been engaged, and doing a lot more board work this season. Unlike Kuz who looks lost on anything involving a forecheck.

Boeser is not Garland, Hoglander, Joshua, or Bluegar. But he at least tries to do the smart play, and tries to forecheck. Kuz just didn't seem to want to change his game at all.

The other good thing is Boeser knows where to go to the opposition's net and will crash the net. Boeser has games where he's ineffective. Kuz just didn't seem to try very hard. Or just didn't want to at least come halfway. Boeser at least has come halfway and the coaching staff appreciate that.

I mean not really. His stats are all pretty well the same as they've always been. 

Hits 32 lowest hits per 60 on the team

Blocks 18 3rd lowest blocks per 60

Takeaways he's 7th everyone above him is top 6

He leads the team in OZ deployment. The only major change in his stats between this year and the last 2 is that he's taking more high danger shots and his shooting % doubled up to a Kuzmenkoian 22.4%.

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Our "lame" power play, without checking, is right there with the "lame" 2011 teams as well.    Special teams of course are a crucial aspect to a teams fortunes, much more so in the regular season as far as padding stats go.   The frequency, will go down as a series and an individual game in the series plays out.   Whistles get put away in the third period with close games.     

Given how close most teams really are, it also comes down to if it's been on or off lately.   

For sure it can be a difference maker, especially for a team like EDM, but what's a 5% difference really going to be?  Most of the game is played 5 x 5, and that's our bread and butter. 

Yep,

If our PP is lame and we are top of league despite our 'poor' PP, I'll take this as a massive positive...

Come play offs time the whistles tend to be put away, and being able to score on 5v5 is much more important.

2011 team lost, when they weren't able to convert on their PP any longer... on top of that, if we could fix the 'broken' PP we would be even more deadly than we've been this season.

Time will tell, but definitely time to put away the negative thoughts and look a little more positive on the future... We are no. 1 in the NHL for crying out load... What does this team have to do to please the 'fans'....?

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Going 2 for 3 is normal happens once every while. We are averaging what? Going 1/4 for 25%? Except we scored 0 ppl goals in 50% of the games we played so far 

And yet we are still top of the league...

Imagine if the PP catches fire 🙂

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Fans really need to move past 2011. 😂

I got past the Hawks and Duncan Keith when Myers laid him out, I will get past the Bruins when someone lays out Marchand. :classic_biggrin:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rovy said:

My concern with the team, is in our 3 games against expected Stanley Cup contenders (COL, VGK, BOS), we're 0-3, being outscored 13-3. That's concerning to me.

and that is a fair concern. It says that despite being on top of the standings, and an upper echelon team, that the Canucks are still just a rung below the aforementioned teams. While I don't like Boston, their top players came to play, while the Canucks top players looked lost. 

The Canucks are a very good team and will most likely make the playoffs. I'm just not sure how far they'll get this spring. 

4 hours ago, ABNuck said:

He's a sideshow freak for sure...but even in the world of the circus, people pay to see the sideshow. Other than a few comments on here I try to spend little energy even mentioning that freaky little pos. Hopefully 1000 games means he'll retire soon. 

Hope he gets retired....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

and that is a fair concern. It says that despite being on top of the standings, and an upper echelon team, that the Canucks are still just a rung below the aforementioned teams. While I don't like Boston, their top players came to play, while the Canucks top players looked lost. 

The Canucks are a very good team and will most likely make the playoffs. I'm just not sure how far they'll get this spring. 

It’s all part of the learning curve. You don’t become a top team over night without some growing pains.

Seems to me every time a game comes with extra hype from the media they get psyched out or something. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's just selective interpretation.  One game vs those teams (2/3 were on a road trip) scattered months apart.  Meanwhile, they have beaten many teams that are "playoff contenders" whatever that means, and many during a tough road trip. 

But some how these games don't count?

2-0 Canes

2-0 Florida 

1-0-1 NYR 

1-0-1 Stars

3-0 Oilers

1-1 leafs

Keep worrying. Wait for that wheel to fall off.  The entire season since game one was that mentality.  When will they fall back down?

I'm glad the players don't think like that. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Pettersson hasn’t recorded a shot in the last two games against the top teams. Hmmmm. I am a bit worried with this stat.

Pettersson crumbles under pressure. Laughable some people think he’s getting $12+ 

Kuzmenko looking pretty good in Calgary. He also looked good with Miller and Boeser for the few shifts Toch alllowed them to play together.

Petey and Mik still look like shit. Maybe Kuz wasn’t really the problem. We sure could use some 5on 5 scoring from our top 6. 😉 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I remember people saying that when the Canucks lost game 3 in 2011. 

And I remember it didn't work out very well.

while that is true, what are the options....

Believe the sky is falling and turn to drink, or try to look positively on it, and believe the standing are a true reflection of the team.

At least this time we have time to iron out any issues that may be considered causes...

I still hope we sign a tough SOB a la Torres before the TDL... Need somebody to make their cheap shot artists play with their heads up, and pay the prize...

Man watching a similar players to Torres destroy Marchand or McAvoy, could change an entire series against a team like Boston...They bully teams, so you need to deal with that.

Just now, spook007 said:

while that is true, what are the options....

Believe the sky is falling and turn to drink, or try to look positively on it, and believe the standing are a true reflection of the team.

At least this time we have time to iron out any issues that may be considered causes...

I still hope we sign a tough SOB a la Torres before the TDL... Need somebody to make their cheap shot artists play with their heads up, and pay the prize...

Man watching a similar players to Torres destroy Marchand or McAvoy, could change an entire series against a team like Boston...They bully teams, so you need to deal with that.

Mik & Aman need to be replaced with grittier players. Too soft for the playoffs. Not sure I’ve ever seen Mik throw a hit. Without his elite speed he’s a very average bottom 6 player. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2