PGT - Canucks at Bruins - 02/08/2024

PhillipBlunt

8 minutes ago, End2End said:

2011 brought grief and trama to soft candy ass millennials. I could only imagine the reaction if you told someone who stormed the beaches of Normandy on D-day that your favourite sports team lost a series, almost 13 years ago, and your still grieving through the trama from it. 

No argument here with what you're getting at with the larger point.

But ...

One isn't equal to the other. And just because there was trauma from that event doesn't mean there wasn't grief and trauma from the other event.

And I'm not a candy ass millenial. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I respectfully disagree. I can't say he hasn't been streaky. 

I think maybe Hughes and the Third line you could say have been very consistent. Otherwise everyone else is just or more streaky then Petey. Life isn’t perfect but Petey is pretty damn good at hockey 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Devron said:

I don’t see it. His longest point drought this season is 3 games. 2 games 3 times. I guess if that’s streaky I’m good with that 

His game is inconsistent.   Yesterday was one of many examples.   

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Devron said:

I think maybe Hughes and the Third line you could say have been very consistent. Otherwise everyone else is just or more streaky then Petey. Life isn’t perfect but Petey is pretty damn good at hockey 

See what you're saying but I can't say Petey has been a model of consistency. We've seen it. Although he's maturing and closing gaps in his game. 

I'm not saying he's bad or not good or great. 

I still like you, though.

😉

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Devron said:

So is every player really. That’s my point. He had a period at the end of his rookie season and one where he struggled after his new contract. Otherwise he’s just as steaky as anyone. We act like all the other stars in the league bring it every game. That’s not the case at all. We just flat over analyze Petey and I get it, it’s a contact year. He’s bound to be under the microscope 

Exactly, if you actually broke it down he's probably one of the least streaky players in the NHL since he gets points in just about every game. I would imagine he's easily top 10 in this category if someone actually bothered to look. Sure he has an awesome game every once in awhile but he is also very consistent ... unless of course people expect 4 and 5 point nights all the time. 😅

Quinn is probably close as is his brother Jack, and the same would go for McNuts, Kucherov, Pasternak, MacKinnon, Panarin and our own JT Miller.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, End2End said:

2011 brought grief and trama to soft candy ass millennials. I could only imagine the reaction if you told someone who stormed the beaches of Normandy on D-day that your favourite sports team lost a series, almost 13 years ago, and your still grieving through the trama from it. 

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly, if you actually broke it down he's probably one of the least streaky players in the NHL since he gets points in just about every game. I would imagine he's easily top 10 in this category if someone actually bothered to look. Sure he has an awesome game every once in awhile but he is also very consistent ... unless of course people expect 4 and 5 point nights all the time. 😅

Quinn is probably close as is his brother Jack, and the same would go for McNuts, Kucherov, Pasternak, MacKinnon, Panarin and our own JT Miller.

I think the real issue is just that Petey picked a really bad game to take a giant shit on the ice. 

A spectacularly large dump too. Not like a whoops I farted and pooped a bit, hopefully no one really notices. But he went for broke. Norovirus level mess. 

I think it upset the entire team tbh. 

Oh well, onto the next game.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sorry but this is a pretty piss poor evaluation. In Sweden Petey was a playoff monster, and in the bubble playoff he was lights out. He's a gamer, I don't know why you would pre-judge him like that. Seems quite silly, unfair, and slightly preposterous. He seems like a player that rises to the occasion in my opinion. I personally think he has a good chance to lead playoff scoring if we go far. It's hilarious to see people jump off the bandwagon so quick. He's still in 8th place in NHL scoring on the best team in the league. You would think he'd have some support from Canuck fans ... what a fickle group.

We do support him and so do I and I'm certainlynot off the Canucks bandwagon - at all - as I mentioned in my post.    My point is - that the playoffs are a bonecrushing battle of grit and size over finesse and Petey already falls down after 50% of his plays now - in the regular season, so imagine in the playoffs when the other team "lines him up" as target #1  He'll be mincemeat on ice.  Unlike other premier players in the league that have "SIZE" going for them and why they are worth more IMO. 

...................and please don't get me going on "Sweedish hockey" or "The Bubble playoffs"!

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Then you aren't watching Boeser. He has been engaged, and doing a lot more board work this season. Unlike Kuz who looks lost on anything involving a forecheck.

Boeser is not Garland, Hoglander, Joshua, or Bluegar. But he at least tries to do the smart play, and tries to forecheck. Kuz just didn't seem to want to change his game at all.

The other good thing is Boeser knows where to go to the opposition's net and will crash the net. Boeser has games where he's ineffective. Kuz just didn't seem to try very hard. Or just didn't want to at least come halfway. Boeser at least has come halfway and the coaching staff appreciate that.

I partially agree that he's more engaged this year but completely disagree about Boeser being a regular in front of the net.  Nearly all of Boesers goals are SHOTS from the circle area from feeds right onto his stick,  while most of Kuz's goals were right up front of the goalie or him driving to the net. 

I can't remember the last time - if ever - I saw Boeser actually drive up the ice to the net and score.  He's 100% dependant on feeds!

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I think the real issue is just that Petey picked a really bad game to take a giant shit on the ice. 

A spectacularly large dump too. Not like a whoops I farted and pooped a bit, hopefully no one really notices. But he went for broke. Norovirus level mess. 

I think it upset the entire team tbh. 

Oh well, onto the next game.

Yeah I see. Fair enough, to be honest I now have an every Thursday night commitment with my good friend and her daughter so thankfully I only caught the first 8 minutes or so of the first period, then I went to tune in (with their permission) to the second period. I only watched 49 seconds before we (I quickly) switched channels. 😒

Therefore I didn't see the level of suckage you all did. I can appreciate your pain but as an impartial person who didn't have to watch it I can say I will give him another chance. Sometimes I would guess people think a player is not trying or something but I doubt that's the case here, or that he picked this game to take off. Sometimes it just doesn't work out and it looks brutal to those watching. Hopefully he plays amazing tomorrow. Feels like a playoff game now lol.

As you say ... onto the next one.

Also, I'm pounding a lucky lager back as we speak!

image.jpeg.3d8086d4418ce32324b9c6620c911cc7.jpeg

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I partially agree that he's more engaged this year but completely disagree about Boeser being a regular in front of the net.  Nearly all of Boesers goals are SHOTS from the circle area from feeds right onto his stick,  while most of Kuz's goals were right up front of the goalie or him driving to the net. 

I can't remember the last time - if ever - I saw Boeser actually drive up the ice to the net and score.  He's 100% dependant on feeds!

I have got to admit, it feels stupid to reply to this click bait bullshit about Brock.

but you can only put up with a dumb ass conversation for so long.

If you have a bit of brain left you can see he is in the 90th percentile scoring from the net and in front.

https://edge.nhl.com/en/skater/8478444

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

tbh I'm not upset at all with the game yesterday. Boston exposed something in the PP that needs to be fixed, and I have no doubt Tocc & Co. will do just that. Its also a good reminder that you can get humbled on any given day in the NHL.

I'd rather get this stuff out of the way now, than round 1. 

more important, Boston showed us how to beat a good PP. They rushed the puck with all 4 guys and our PK can learn from that.

Just like edmonton learned from us how to win.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I see. Fair enough, to be honest I now have an every Thursday night commitment with my good friend and her daughter so thankfully I only caught the first 8 minutes or so of the first period, then I went to tune in (with their permission) to the second period. I only watched 49 seconds before we (I quickly) switched channels. 😒

Therefore I didn't see the level of suckage you all did. I can appreciate your pain but as an impartial person who didn't have to watch it I can say I will give him another chance. Sometimes I would guess people think a player is not trying or something but I doubt that's the case here, or that he picked this game to take off. Sometimes it just doesn't work out and it looks brutal to those watching. Hopefully he plays amazing tomorrow. Feels like a playoff game now lol.

As you say ... onto the next one.

Also, I'm pounding a lucky lager back as we speak!

image.jpeg.3d8086d4418ce32324b9c6620c911cc7.jpeg

Hey man, everybody poops. I'm sure Petey's diaper rash will heal up in no time.

Enjoy that lucky

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In regard to Petey:

All true. But Petey is making his bed. Really he should tell his agent to negotiate a new contract. This waiting until after the season makes no sense. He doesn’t need to be involved until it comes time to sign. His waiting is actually hurting the club because management isn’t able to plan. Sure Benning (the Moran) didn’t care to plan, but new management does. IMHAO if Petey continues down this road of not negotiating then this management will extend Lindholm and trade Petey for a King’s ransom. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In regard to Petey:

Um, didnt we have like 4 or 5 or 6 all-stars for the canucks? isnt there like 6 guys in the top 20 pts in the NHL he plays with?

This is a stupid dumbass escuse and Kuzmenko is already scoring in Calgary. I think more than Petey since the trade.

If PETEY NEEDS TO PLAY WITH A MATTHEWS OR MACKINNON OR MCDAVID then we should trade him to one of those 3 teams.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We do support him and so do I and I'm certainlynot off the Canucks bandwagon - at all - as I mentioned in my post.    My point is - that the playoffs are a bonecrushing battle of grit and size over finesse and Petey already falls down after 50% of his plays now - in the regular season, so imagine in the playoffs when the other team "lines him up" as target #1  He'll be mincemeat on ice.  Unlike other premier players in the league that have "SIZE" going for them and why they are worth more IMO. 

...................and please don't get me going on "Sweedish hockey" or "The Bubble playoffs"!

Alright I understand your point. Sorry if I came off hot. I don't agree it's 50%, seems disingenuous, but I agree he's been less stable on his skates lately, although far better overall. I won't mention the bubble but in addition to that I've seen plenty of evidence that he can raise his game when it counts. He's been huge in many of our wins this year. It feels like you're taking those games for granted. He's not HUGE as you say so he is not going to outmuscle the opponent every night. At the same time there have been countless games where he's played that feisty aggressive style with great success.

I personally like Petey's determination and grit, and think we've yet to see the best of him. Right now he's learning how to contribute nightly while playing winning hockey. He's a winner imo and he'll play well in the post-season and handle the punishment just fine.

I guess we'll see. I doubt we're trading him. My prediction, he won't be the first non huge human to have success in the post-season and not become mincemeat.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Hughes was as much as fault as anyone on both short handed goals against. seems like everyone wants to blame myers for 1 of the other goals, but he was actually in position to defend. It was Petey who was out of coverage on 2 goals... The broken stick thing was no fault of Myers, even Demko didnt know where the puck was going.

Petey is not a superstar. He is a great guy, he is valuable. But he is not a McDavid, Crosby, Ovetchkin, or Matthews. He is not even a JT Miller yet. Maybe he will grow or maybe he will suck. But if some Eastern team will give us a huge 4 first rounders and free up that whole cap space, yeah, i am glad Petterson is waiting till summer to negociate. Cause if someone gives him an offersheet over 9Million, Canucks should let him go.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In regard to Petey:

Another thing to remember is that Lindholm just joined that line on the road trip. Perhaps a couple of practices and games chemistry was lacking. Maybe Boston was not the place to find it either.

10 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Hughes was as much as fault as anyone on both short handed goals against. seems like everyone wants to blame myers for 1 of the other goals, but he was actually in position to defend. It was Petey who was out of coverage on 2 goals... The broken stick thing was no fault of Myers, even Demko didnt know where the puck was going.

Petey is not a superstar. He is a great guy, he is valuable. But he is not a McDavid, Crosby, Ovetchkin, or Matthews. He is not even a JT Miller yet. Maybe he will grow or maybe he will suck. But if some Eastern team will give us a huge 4 first rounders and free up that whole cap space, yeah, i am glad Petterson is waiting till summer to negociate. Cause if someone gives him an offersheet over 9Million, Canucks should let him go.

You’d let Petey go for 9 million. Wow 

Yeah I guess we don’t need him. 

and btw the whole PP unit has been at fault for these shorties 

• Vintage 2