PGT - Canucks at Bruins - 02/08/2024

PhillipBlunt

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Kuzmenko was a bad fit.  

Under Tock-it's system - 100% correct!  But I still believe he can flourish on the right team.   Not sure if the flames are the right team though.  I think he'd do better in the eastern "North/South" style of play.  Somewhere like Tampa/Rangers/Florida would be ideal for a guy like him.    

I wish him all the best though and kinda sad it didn't work out here but we have to trust Tock-it and can't argue with wht he's done - so far.

24 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Hey, don't throw the 3rd line under the bus here , they played a good game as always. They play a consistent game, EVERY GAME.

I think this is what's amazing. The 3rd line may not get points or results, but you never question the work ethic, or drive of them in every game.

If every line on this club worked as hard as our 3rd line. We'd be doing even better than we are now.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Old Alf, after the club’s loss, turned to the bottle. Okay, Alf was turning to the bottle before and during the game too. Can’t have enough empties. 
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.🥃

Thank you, Alf! Unfortunately, scotch does not mix well with medications at the moment. Hopefully, I will be able to give you a hand in your fight for empties in a month or so.

Hold on .

31 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hate to burst peoples bubbles. But Mik right now has zero value, if not negative value.

So unless you're willing to part with our 1st in 2025/2026 no one is going to trade for Mik.

If PA can find a buyer for future considerations that would be incredible.

Yeah, I agree. He's still not completely healed coming off a major injury and his offence is no where to be found lately. Maybe a bottom feeder would take him but he can't be worth much right now.

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm 100% joking.   Tochett played the best chance the team had to win the game.   He's a great coach for this team.   Loved him as a player and also the coach.  

Haha okay. Cool my sarcasm reader was not up to snuff. We usually see things pretty similarly. I agree too, he wouldn't have known if not alerted by the media.

I too loved the way he played and I gave him every chance when he was hired. Blew my expectations out of the water I am thrilled to say.

I also like your comment about "it's just one game, let's not overthink it". Basically what QH's said as well. We'll talk about it for 15-20 minutes and then attack the day and have a better effort in Detroit.

Some games as a player you feel prepared and as if you've done what is necessary and then all of the sudden you're behind the 8-ball and realize you're not as prepared as you could have been. Boston was also coming in a chip on their shoulder after their poor game against the Flames. Combine that with shooting ourselves in the foot early in both periods one and two, and ... game over.

Looking forward to a treat tomorrow and waking up to Canucks hockey.

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I don't care much about the score, as I truly believe that Boston played a good game, but nothing extraordinary, and we played the worst game of the year. When we're on, this game can easily have another outcome. Here are multiple takeaways that frustrate me;

- Lafferty and Aman had absolutely no hustle. That's the entire identity of our 4th line. Do something.

- Aman getting headlocked and doing nothing is a problem. We need someone with grit and snarl, not another passenger that's going to turtle when things get tougher and more physical. We need to seriously show our players history lessons of past Canucks teams, and the identity we are trying to stay away from. 

- Pettersson looked horrendous. He was the worst player on the ice, by far. Lethargic, not a care in the world, no hustle, no nothing. 

- Boeser floated all night. 

- Demko was let hung out to dry on what could have been a historical evening for him and the team. Absolutely pathetic effort going into a heavily mediatized game. No pride, no effort on a night they're supposed to prove the doubters wrong. 

Frustrating game to watch, as I truly believe that with more effort, the game could have easily swayed in our favor. 

Great summary and very accurate, especially about Boeser but that is par for the course for him.  He is a shooter - period - and I've come to terms with him being unable to do anything else and suspect Tock-it has as well.   But why he gets away with everything that Kuz wasn't doing and criticized by Tock-it for not doing - is beyond me.   

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

People said the same thing about Kuzmenko.

A team like Chicago is desperate for warm bodies who are locked in for the next two years.

It might be two separate deals if they decide to trade him for an upgrade.

The difference is Mik has the defensive side down. Either due to his knee is still not 100%, or he's just snake bitten like you wouldn't believe.

Kuz unless he's scoring, he's not really contributing. What's sad is there's lots of examples on the Canucks he could have followed. He didn't have to lay the body on opposing players. He just had to dump the puck in at the end of his shift. Or make a smart play with the puck. Or even in the defensive ice just get in other guys way, use his stick to go after the puck. Or just try to keep the other player to the outside. Kuz just kind of stands around waiting to get the puck and go on the attack.

Calgary seems to be a run and gun team. Which suits Kuz's style a lot more. Kuz had the advantage of having a good year last season. But do you think that trade with Calgary would have happened without the 1st rounder?

21 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that EP40 is not worth $11M or $12M.    He is a fragile regular season finesse player that may be able to get you to the party but is too fragile and light weight to survive the Stanley Cup playoff battle.  I'm sure anyone that has been paying attention this season has noticed that he falls down on roughly every 2nd play and is constantly unsteady and off balance. 

At first I thought he might be injured but this has been going on all season and I'm moving towards the camp that says it's simply that he's a pack of bones resulting in him simply being too easy to unbalance.    Just imaging what will happen to him come playoff time if he can't stay on his feet now ! 

He's definately worth re-signing but he's certainly not worth more than McKinnon, McJesus or even Matthews to name a few.

Sorry but this is a pretty piss poor evaluation. In Sweden Petey was a playoff monster, and in the bubble playoff he was lights out. He's a gamer, I don't know why you would pre-judge him like that. Seems quite silly, unfair, and slightly preposterous. He seems like a player that rises to the occasion in my opinion. I personally think he has a good chance to lead playoff scoring if we go far. It's hilarious to see people jump off the bandwagon so quick. He's still in 8th place in NHL scoring on the best team in the league. You would think he'd have some support from Canuck fans ... what a fickle group.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that EP40 is not worth $11M or $12M.    He is a fragile regular season finesse player that may be able to get you to the party but is too fragile and light weight to survive the Stanley Cup playoff battle.  I'm sure anyone that has been paying attention this season has noticed that he falls down on roughly every 2nd play and is constantly unsteady and off balance. 

At first I thought he might be injured but this has been going on all season and I'm moving towards the camp that says it's simply that he's a pack of bones resulting in him simply being too easy to unbalance.    Just imaging what will happen to him come playoff time if he can't stay on his feet now ! 

He's definately worth re-signing but he's certainly not worth more than McKinnon, McJesus or even Matthews to name a few.

EP probably want's  you to do this.   Welcome back Fail Looney Tunes GIF

Maybe "beyond a doubt" is a little

extreme though. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Then you aren't watching Boeser. He was been engaged, and doing a lot more board work this season. Unlike Kuz who looks lost on anything involving a forecheck.

Boeser is not Garland, Hoglander, Joshua, or Bluegar. But he at least tries to do the smart play, and tries to forecheck. Kuz just didn't seem to want to change his game at all.

The other good thing is Boeser knows where to go to the opposition's net and will crash the net. Boeser has games where he's ineffective. Kuz just didn't seem to try very hard. Or just didn't want to at least come halfway. Boeser at least has come halfway and the coaching staff appreciate that.

Miss the "There it Is"

emoji.   Because for me anyways, it was like telling it how it is.     That's telling it how it is. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Absolute garbage game by the Canucks. The homers will come in saying “we can’t win every game” “we are bound to lose some” blah blah blah. 

1. Where is everyone from the GDT that was claiming Boston doesn’t have any physical players anymore and who’s going to play physical for them? Boston played much rougher and tougher than us. Other than Zadorav/Joshua no one on our team played heavy. So much for having a big defence.

2. Petterson single handed my responsible for at least 2 goals today. This guy has a hard time back checking and checking his guy. Hughes also to blame on that one SHG. Gave up completely on the play and let Petey skate back alone. 

3. Canucks PP has not only not been scoring but have now let in 4 SHG in 3 games. Shake that PP unit up or play with 2 defence men until we stop letting them in!!!

4. Suter needs to be our 4C again take Aman out. Mikheyev does not belong in the top 6. 

Next game try:

Lafferty-Miller-Boeser

Petterson-Lindholm-Hoglander

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Mikheyev-Suter-Aman

Lafferty on our 1st line? We are in dire straits for sure.... and... Miller was definetly the cause for 1 or 2 of those as well as

he is been playing super lose lately ive noticed the whole team is too lose.... 

My number 1 person I blame for the loss to Boston is actually Toch. This team was not prepared at. all. to face this team

Thats on Toch. Sorry.

Also to Demko: If your going to throw shade on the Bruins like that be prepared to be under siege for 60 mins the next time

you meet up. ALSO on Toch to not see this coming. I hope he improves his coaching before the playoffs because to a man

our whole team was not prepared for what eveyrone should have seen coming after what Demko did to Swayman. Bruins

hate that shit and they proved it.

That game is what people refer to as "canucks hockey" in the worst way. Its where we the emotional stakes are big in a game

and we not only DONT meet that challenge but we sh i t the bed. Canucks hockey like this hurts the fan base makes it really tough

to be a fan. 

Like really Demko???? Really????? Your going to do that to Swayman and then this game to follow that??? Just. Wow.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Great summary and very accurate, especially about Boeser but that is par for the course for him.  He is a shooter - period - and I've come to terms with him being unable to do anything else and suspect Tock-it has as well.   But why he gets away with everything that Kuz wasn't doing and criticized by Tock-it for not doing - is beyond me.   

Have you come to terms with us leading the league?   Or that Brock also can make great passes?   And take a hit to make one?  Probably not.    

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

He definitely could use more muscle.

• Thanks 1

THERES A WIN LOSS OTL COLUMN ..THIS ONE GOES UNDER THE LOSS COLUMN OK PEOPLE.ID SAY ITS OK TO HAVE SOME THERE ITS LONG SEASON...THIS HALF IS ABOUT BEING SMART NOT EMPTYING THE TANK FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS..YES BIG GAMES POINTS AND STUFF BUT YOU NEED TO PLAY THINGS OUT IN A SMART WAY..

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Know that Myers will step his game up.   Think Zadarov will too.  Miller did have a nice clean hit against their Lindholm.   Can bet he won't be sitting on the sidelines.    With Tochett running the show, i'm not expecting a tame performance.    If we go all "full-Horvat" will be completely disappointed in them.    Feel that this teams too tight-nit, to not get into the alley as needed.   Agree we haven't had our mettle tested, aside from a couple vets and when the core was trying to grow some peach fuzz.

I don't think Tocchet or Foote will allow the team to go "full-Horvat." 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The difference is Mik has the defensive side down. Either due to his knee is still not 100%, or he's just snake bitten like you wouldn't believe.

Kuz unless he's scoring, he's not really contributing. What's sad is there's lots of examples on the Canucks he could have followed. He didn't have to lay the body on opposing players. He just had to dump the puck in at the end of his shift. Or make a smart play with the puck. Or even in the defensive ice just get in other guys way, use his stick to go after the puck. Or just try to keep the other player to the outside. Kuz just kind of stands around waiting to get the puck and go on the attack.

Calgary seems to be a run and gun team. Which suits Kuz's style a lot more. Kuz had the advantage of having a good year last season. But do you think that trade with Calgary would have happened without the 1st rounder?

I didn't watch the Flames game but I heard Kuz also gifted NJ a goal as well yesterday. In my hockey world that far outweighs scoring a goal yourself, in a negative way. He also did one of his patented spin around no look passes at the Bruins blueline the game before when it was 0-0 that went for a completely uncontested breakaway. He was lucky not to have blown that game with that play. I'm still happy with the trade as I don't think Kuz understands how to be a team player. He's too lackadaisical and would rather just score goals than do what is asked of him.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Nylander's $11.5M is dancing in Pete's head.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Can we not mention therapy and take personal shots? We have failed on a number of attempts to beat them and it’s hard for some to forget. It’s a completely different team so you can’t compare them to years past but anytime they lose to them like this it brings up old feelings. They always pummel us. 

2-1 at home in the 2020's and 0-3 on the road, no matter the era Boston has been a hard out on the road, bounce back game and all is forgotten. I find it so hilarious the one crying about the team folding like a cheap tent also folds like a cheap tent at the slightest hint of adversity. 

irony GIF

• Cheers 2

It was definitely a clunker, but I don't think it really deserves all the angst we're seeing ITT.

Boston is the top team in the east and they caught the Canucks on one of those nights. It happens.

The real test will be how the team responds against the Wings tomorrow morning. If they lay another egg, then it might be time to start worrying. So far this season they've been able to respond after a poor outing with remarkable consistency. The only time they've followed up what I would call a lopsided loss (3 goals or more) with another loss was in November, when the were beaten 4-3 by the Kraken, after a 5-2 loss to the Flames.

After every other bad loss (5-2 Leafs, 5-2 Avs, 4-1 Knights, 4-1 Flyers) they've managed to bounce back and win the next game.

The team has only lost back to back games in regulation twice this year. The aforementioned games against the Flames and Kraken, and early in the season when they lost 2-0 to the Flyers and then 4-3 to the Bolts.

If the boys can right the ship in Detroit, last night's game will go down as just one of those nights. History (at least recent history) suggests there is a good chance of that happening.

Regarding the team's penchant for giving up shorthanded goals, it seems to me that they have gotten into a mindset where they consider a shoot-in a bad play. Most of these shorthanded breaks lately seem to be a result of one of the guys trying to stickhandle through traffic at, or near the opposing blueline. Sometimes the lane just isn't there and you need to go "dump and chase".

As far as Mik goes, I wouldn't try and move him....yet. His value is about as low as it will ever be and I've never been a proponent of selling low. I think he might benefit from a stint on the 4th line, or even in the pressbox.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 3