PGT - Canucks at Bruins - 02/08/2024

PhillipBlunt

2 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

Correction: Petey plays like he wants a big payday, not like he wants to stay in Vancouver. 

By all accounts, he and his agent are proving to be tough negotiators. Someone who’s team-first wouldn’t look to squeeze every penny possible out of the team. 

Brisson?

too bad it’s not Milstien.  Much easier to work with.

Well, glad I missed that game.  Still get to enjoy the hysterics afterwards. 

We’re still very much cup contenders and we’re still very much likely to fall somewhere short this post season.  It’s not rocket appliances!

Trailer Park Boys Ricky GIF by NETFLIX

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

56 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think losing to anyone in that fashion is unacceptable. I'd rather be in first place than beat the Bruins once or twice every year. That's solely a fan problem. I too was crushed 2011, but I've moved on. It's like QH's preaches, don't get too high or too low, and certainly don't let one game linger in your mind forever either. I definitely think we'll see a great effort when they meet again in Van.

I think we'll see a better effort next game against Detroit. We're pretty good at bouncing back

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

Well, glad I missed that game.  Still get to enjoy the hysterics afterwards. 

We’re still very much cup contenders and we’re still very much likely to fall somewhere short this post season.  It’s not rocket appliances!

Trailer Park Boys Ricky GIF by NETFLIX

Worst case Ontario we still get to see some playoff games boys

trailer park boys ricky GIF by hero0fwar

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bardown said:

I have to say, as good at Petey is, yesterday was important for me in my evaluation of his worth. He's going to want 11-12 million

I remember guys like the Twins, Bure, Naslund who were the "key offensive' players on our past teams. When you were down and NEEDED a goal, every shift you saw them pushing hard. They didn't always score but you could seem them TRYING to dominate the game...I honestly don't see that with Petterson. I see a guy who's uber talented offensively and defensively but not a guy who seems to raise to another level to get the team on his back.  I see him as "offensively opportunistic"

I see Quinn and Miller as guys who you SEE pushing...trying to change the game...Love Petey but I am not sold he's worth that much (obviously based on points he is), because when you pay a player that much money, said player needs to be able to CHANGE the game in BIG games...I don't see it in him.

I see the same thing in Toronto, Nylander seems to be that guy but unfortunately the three guys that make more then him(at the moment), don't seem to be. This makes it a bad combination when you are relying on those guys to be game changers, and they are not.

Petey is a tough discussion. Is he actually worth 12 million?  And how do you measure that?  12 million can get you a lot.  2 and a half Garlands.  Or 3 Zadorovs.  

12 mil can go miles towards filling out the depth on the roster - but those depth players aren’t going to put up 100-ish points playing solid two way hockey the way Petey does.  And we’re simply not finding a prime 25 year old 100 point C.  When Petey’s on - he’s a top 10 player in the league.  When he’s off, he still puts up a ton of points, usually on the PP, and plays responsible hockey… while falling down too much.

If you’re looking to have a “very good” team I think we can let Petey go.. but unless you trade him for a younger piece who can maybe do about 80% of what he does plus extra cap and assets on top of that… it’s likely goodbye to any chance at a cup run with Miller getting older and Hughes at a bargain.

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I think we'll see a better effort next game against Detroit. We're pretty good at bouncing back

Absolutely, I'm looking forward to it. They've responded well in almost each down game like good teams do, and they are a very good team. The difference between Bruce and RT is amazing. Bruce was fun but he had no clue how to address the things that weren't working and it showed. The boys rarely rebounded from a loss or showed they were being taught anything along the way.

The fans that are all bummed out because we lost to a specific team really need to let the past go. These teams have nothing to do with 2011. It's just one game, albeit a poor one. Learn from it, and come out better tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Petey is a tough discussion. Is he actually worth 12 million?  And how do you measure that?  12 million can get you a lot.  2 and a half Garlands.  Or 3 Zadorovs.  

12 mil can go miles towards filling out the depth on the roster - but those depth players aren’t going to put up 100-ish points playing solid two way hockey the way Petey does.  And we’re simply not finding a prime 25 year old 100 point C.  When Petey’s on - he’s a top 10 player in the league.  When he’s off, he still puts up a ton of points, usually on the PP, and plays responsible hockey… while falling down too much.

If you’re looking to have a “very good” team I think we can let Petey go.. but unless you trade him for a younger piece who can maybe do about 80% of what he does plus extra cap and assets on top of that… it’s likely goodbye to any chance at a cup run with Miller getting older and Hughes at a bargain.

Excellent post and points. The market will give him 12 million because he's a Top 10 player in the league.

The problem with Petey is that he's streaky on the road to 100 points yet still manages to get it done, put up points, play responsible, all of what you've pointed out. But he's a superstar in streaks with a different type of reliability.

From what I can tell, a lot of fans actually want to see more a consistent, less streaky superstar who can we can rely on in games like last night. That's where I think a lot of this contention comes from in this discussion.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, The Duke said:

With Big ??? surrounding Petey, I think if we were able to acquire a top six winger like a Guenzal or a Reinhart, plus for Petey, we could still field a pretty good team with Miller and Lindholm as our top centers and Boeser as our 2nd line winger. There would be picks and Cap space left over to allow for this great management group to work their magic. 

Probably not ideal, but I think there is a possibility that we could still field a pretty competitive team for at least another 3-4 years. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I partially agree with you and things about your post that I do agree with.

It's not wrong that it's a fan problem at all.

I certainly understand what you're trying to convey from a high road, altruistic, ideal, right thing to say perspective.

However, it's also ok to say what I said, look back, and use that as motivation years later. 

The whole "moving on" thing is just a way of shutting down other angles of discussion. 

Certainly. I just don't want you getting all negative on us now. 😉 Joking ... joking.

We expelled a demon in NJ already this year. After all this negativity everywhere surrounding this game, I agree it will probably be a serious statement game next year in Boston ... and I'm sure the return match up in Van this year will be highly publicized and scrutinized as well.

All in all it might even be a positive in meeting a new level of adversity.

Go Nucks go!

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Certainly. I just don't want you getting all negative on us now. 😉 Joking ... joking.

We expelled a demon in NJ already this year. After all this negativity everywhere surrounding this game, I agree it will probably be a serious statement game next year in Boston ... and I'm sure the return match up in Van this year will be highly publicized and scrutinized as well.

Go Nucks go!

tbh I'm not upset at all with the game yesterday. Boston exposed something in the PP that needs to be fixed, and I have no doubt Tocc & Co. will do just that. Its also a good reminder that you can get humbled on any given day in the NHL.

I'd rather get this stuff out of the way now, than round 1. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Go Nucks go!

I get what you're saying. Don't worry about me being negative. It's not chronic. 😉

For me, this isn't about the inability to move on. It's about continuing to find new meaning, which helps us regain our footing when similar, familiar adversity and challenges arise (ie: the game last night). 

This is all a part of continuing to move on.

As fans, if anything, the grief and trauma of 2011 has taught us that there is hope moving forward and that we can take comfort in knowing we can't go back. There is no going back anyway.

I find it incredibly interesting that we still can't get past Boston 13-years later. That the Bruins are still a major measuring stick for us over a decade later. It's ok to discuss that rather than shutting it down.

Today, we are now in that forward place from moving on from yesterday, we've done that, and we've carried the losses, learned from experience, and we never forget.

That is why the 2011 experience should be ingrained our cultural identity so that we hold ourselves to a higher standard in never allowing that to happen again. That's new meaning from that experience.

Also, think about this ...

Much of the discussion on this forum is rooted in the past yet so many are not "moving on". This board shouldn't exist. lol

Go Canucks go!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

If there is one player that isn't putting enough into the tight, rough, games it's Ilya Mikheyev. A little better than he was but he disappears at times. 

Get him going to his full talent level and more pucks would enter the opposition's net..

I agree. He is trending towards the next "whipping boy" territory. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

tbh I'm not upset at all with the game yesterday. Boston exposed something in the PP that needs to be fixed, and I have no doubt Tocc & Co. will do just that. Its also a good reminder that you can get humbled on any given day in the NHL.

Absolutely. You improve and learn through adversity. This especially applies to sports. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ducklover said:

Petey plays like he wants to stay in Vancouver but was already told the Canucks top offer and he's not happy about it. Now he has to make a decision.

Not agreeing or disagreeing. I see JR as a real experienced GM who has won cups with dominant centres in Stall, Crosby and Malkin. I don't see him caving in to a big payday if he feels EP isn't worth it. I am hoping somewhere in the middle there is a long term deal for EP.

• Cheers 1

Kuzmenko gets traded and in an effort to get mikehyev going his put in with petey. And lindholm. He gets a promotion to line 2 ? His not helping petey who already was in a bit of funk. Mikehyev isn’t helping petey or himself. He’s gotta get off the line ,tocs trying to get mikehyev going but he’ll keep petterson in that funk if he stays there. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Chon derry said:

Kuzmenko gets traded and in an effort to get mikehyev going his put in with petey. And lindholm. He gets a promotion to line 2 ? His not helping petey who already was in a bit of funk. Mikehyev isn’t helping petey or himself. He’s gotta get off the line ,tocs trying to get mikehyev going but he’ll keep petterson in that funk if he stays there. 

Agreed, Mik is looking very pedestrian. Need Giuseppe back, he isn't a star, but gets his role. Mik isn't getting it.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Yessir. Nothing, and I repeat nothing (lol) gets me as upset as giving away shorties. I find it just reprehensible, and absolutely demoralizing when it happens. To be honest I've been bitching for over a year now about how careless Petey in particular is on the PP. Hughes sometimes too but at least he hustles back when he turns it over. For me giving up a shorty is like erasing 25 goals for. 

You should never get scored on short handed ... especially when our PP is so anemic anyway. Hopefully that's the lesson today. Don't be lackadaisical on the PP, and shoot the goddammed puck. 😁 Alright, whoooo, I'm feeling a lot better now.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

With Big ??? surrounding Petey, I think if we were able to acquire a top six winger like a Guenzal or a Reinhart, plus for Petey, we could still field a pretty good team with Miller and Lindholm as our top centers and Boeser as our 2nd line winger. There would be picks and Cap space left over to allow for this great management group to work their magic. 

Probably not ideal, but I think there is a possibility that we could still field a pretty competitive team for at least another 3-4 years. 

Alvin will get him signed if he wants to. People gotta know, Pettersson is a great player, an offensive player almost exclusively. That keeps the price down some.

His agent will want the sky because that's what they do. However; When I hear some of the #s people and press are throwing around, AKA 12$ - 13$, my

only thought is cya Pete! My instinct tells me he's sign with the Canucks for 10.2 or around there. Make no mistake, that will be hard on our CAP. Everyone has to,

over the next while, figure out can we be as good without him? Can we be even better without him with some great up and coming player that has to be let go

because of their team's cap situation; I trust Alvin more then Benning who was last seen in a Safeway.🤒

12 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

Yep, we really need to get Mik off of Petey's line. It hasn't worked all year, and whenever Petey is with him he goes absolutely cold in the offensive zone. There just isn't any chemistry there, and Mik really should be playing down the line up, not on our second line.

• Cheers 1