PGT - Canucks at Bruins - 02/08/2024

14 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Honestly speaking and not trying to hate but I don’t think he’s the type of player you win with when the game is on the line…

Yes he is a skilled player but just doesn’t have to have the “gotta win” mentality. Honestly if they can’t get a long term deal with him in the 11m range they should look at moving him for a solid package and resign Lindholm for 7 million X 5. 

I disagree wholeheartedly with the Pete not being a winner part. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Agreed. 

It's really too bad. He has such a high level of talent, but just missing that ability to elevate when it really counts. 

He is basically an 8/10, that can sometimes elevate to an 8.5, but more often drops to a 6/10 sometimes. He just never gets to a 9 or 10.

If that makes sense.

Gotta say he looked much more elite last year... more consistent too.  Not sure what's happened since then...

I wanna see Bains up and see if this kids legit and ready for the NHL maybe sit Lafferty or Aman a game or two. See if the kid can walk the walk. We need more energy. Other than our 3rd line I didn't see much push back. Won't win every game on skill alone. 4th line has to pick it up. Top players played like crap, let Hoggy play in the top six already. Move Hoglander up sit Lafferty or Aman and let Bains play a game or two. Switch up the damn PP 1. Hronek, get a big body in front, try something else. Too much passing again.

• chaos 1

Good news is the pk was good and they were solid in the dot.

Obviously the game was lost with the two shorties. That’s all our leaders on the ice, that can’t happen.

Glad Tocchet sent a message to Petey’s line though. Doesn’t matter if your name is Hoglander or Pettersson, you play like that you’re getting benched.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Gotta say he looked much more elite last year... more consistent too.  Not sure what's happened since then...

He's really streaky. For the first 1/3 of this season he looked really bad. Was putting up points but he wasn't really noticeable. 

Lots of folks saying he must be injured.

Then after Xmas he went on a beauty run for a couple weeks and he looked like his old self. 

It's tough because the stats say that he is an elite player, but the eye test tells a different story most games.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

He's really streaky. For the first 1/3 of this season he looked really bad. Was putting up points but he wasn't really noticeable. 

Then after Xmas he went on a beauty run for a couple weeks and he looked like his old self. 

It's tough because the stats say that he is an elite player, but the eye test tells a different story most games.

I 100% agree

• Cheers 2

Regarding the effort tonight - hard to judge this game when three of the Bruins goals come in the first minute of play (plus two SHG goals tonight) -  probably a lack of awareness and detail on the players part.  Were the Bruins that good or the Canucks that bad - probably a combination of both - just because of the SHG's and early periods  goals.

Albeit, with 82 games on the schedule you should expect several of these duds. Makes those wins against CBJ, CAR that much more important - as with the cliche - manage your wins and losses.  The Canucks have been able to get some points recently (down 2 goals to the Blues, 3 goals to CBJ) so tonight, luck just ran out.  You cannot be trying to come back 2-3+ goals down too often.

Fortunately, they play the Bruins again on the 24th at home - will probably give a better indication if they need to further tweak their lineup before the trading deadline.  Sometimes, when you win a bunch of games, some of the deficiencies get masked over - we can still learn a bit about our team - if you are going to lose, might as well be before the deadline - after that, too late to add additional personnel via trades.

Just Win.jpg

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Something inside of me thinks he wants to move on. He hasn’t come out and said he loves Vancouver. He’s never seemed to be committed. He has said he wants to win and here they are winning and at times he still looks unhappy or unsure. Not sure why when your team is first in the league. It feels like the only way he stays is if we make it to the finals. Something is off about his attitude.

I don’t really want to speculate what’s wrong but he seemed a lot happier in his rookie year.

regardless, the team has got options.

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

He was quite consistent last year though.  Something is off this year, but like you said, his stats are still right up there.  Maybe it's that when he gets hot, he goes nuts and piles up the points then fades away again.

I do not normally read or response about Canucks bad losses but I'll make this an exemption.  I am in fact ok with this effort because 2 SHG allowed is a killer and it's not their night.  3 lines did fine but not the PP unit which they did not make a quick passes that will find open man.  Best way to response is to conserve their energy if they put this game out of reach in early 2nd period.  If one of those goal trickled in, they'd make more effort in this one and try to comeback.  It didn't happen. 

They are allowed a stinker and they can afford to have one or two stinker once every two months and it has been a while since they had one in Flyers' game.   Move on and forget about it.  Ignore the noise that they will said about cannot beat the Bruins when it matter.  Truth to be told, they are still 1st in NHL with a tiebreaker with Regulation wins, not head to head and that is the first tiebreaker.   

They will bounce back but tough way with morning game in Detroit so see you next game.  They'll be neck to neck race for first overall until end of season unless the Bruins beat us in Vancouver.