[Rumour] Sabres shopping Mittelstadt, seeking #1 goalie

I could see a Swayman for Middlestat and whoever the sabres are more willing to part with of their young goalies. Boston gets a good young goalie for when Ullmark moves on plus a good youngish Center.

Buffalo gets a good goalie to play until their young star is ready to take over. Boston May have to add to make the deal even…

14 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Would we want to go into the play offs without a decent back up? 

Silov will be next years back up- most likely,  and has already played well at this level.

I'd take that chance- but I don't think Buffalo would take that trade, so that would be a bit of a problem. 🙂

Edited by Gurn
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I could see them targeting a shorter term dude. Levi is in the pipeline. So they only need 3-4 years of somebody. Maybe less depending on his development. But Markstrom seems pretty deadset on staying put. Lots of talk that he gets annoyed when asked about a trade. I don't think he'd waive for Buffalo. I think we all agree Gibson makes the most sense. 3 years left on his deal after this season. Perfect for the Levi timeline.

I don't think Marky would go to Buffalo, I could see him going to Jersey though

Gibson makes a lot of sense, he may want to stay in Anaheim but he doesn't really fit their timeline anymore and they'd be wise to sell him if they can get good value 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Good question

As a primary Sabres fan I wonder what your take on these runours is

I've been saying on this board this is exactly what the Sabres need to do.  I even posted again about it a day or two ago when I was asked.

I'll see if I can find the link for you in my notifications. 

That notification has gotten buried in today's Political forum notifications.  I stirred a few people up. 😆

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Seriously, how has nobody posted this picture yet... 😂

mittelstadt-pullups.png?fit=bounds&forma

Cause jokes kinda stop being funny when you spam them for over half a decade. I know it was posted a lot in the CDC days. Although this case having a Sabres fan post it, pretty funny once again.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Cause jokes kinda stop being funny when you spam them for over half a decade. I know it was posted a lot in the CDC days. Although this case having a Sabres fan post it, pretty funny once again.

That makes sense.  It was still pretty funny and new when I left CDC.  I never had the chance to get bored of it.  🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I've been saying on this board this is exactly what the Sabres need to do.  I even posted again about it a day or two ago when I was asked.

I'll see if I can find the link for you in my notifications. 

That notification has gotten buried in today's Political forum notifications.  I stirred a few people up. 😆

Glad someone else is willing to stir the pot

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Found it...

Screenshot2024-02-09204209.thumb.png.d0b238989d276fd7c9c4863cc8997755.png

You guys have recently committed to some long term deals down the middle too, if things aren't working up front for whatever reason it could be worth tweaking things while also selling an RFA at good value 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Glad someone else is willing to stir the pot

You guys have recently committed to some long term deals down the middle too, if things aren't working up front for whatever reason it could be worth tweaking things while also selling an RFA at good value 

Mittelstadt is a luxury we can't afford once his contract is up.  I'd even be willing to bet that the Sabres will take an older goalie as long as he's a true #1. 

Devin Levi is the future of the Sabres at net.  A veteran older goalie would make perfect sense.

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, tas said:

would you waive?

Screenshot_20240209-181411.png

Ya Calgary is sh*t but Marky isn't waiving to go to... Wait for it .... Wait.. Big reveal ....Buffalo lol. No way he trades one Sh*thole for another. 

He's paid regardless. With a NMC to boot. 

44 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think Marky would go to Buffalo, I could see him going to Jersey though

Gibson makes a lot of sense, he may want to stay in Anaheim but he doesn't really fit their timeline anymore and they'd be wise to sell him if they can get good value 

I dunno if Gibs wanna play elsewhere tho. He's been a lifer for the Ducks.

He's got a M-NTC... Buffalo likely on his no fly list... lol

Edited by Bobby Lou

18 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Mittelstadt is a luxury we can't afford once his contract is up.  I'd even be willing to bet that the Sabres will take an older goalie as long as he's a true #1. 

Devin Levi is the future of the Sabres at net.  A veteran older goalie would make perfect sense.

As much as I hate other teams fans on this site you got strong good valid posts most the time my dude!!

I hate most teams but got nothin' but love for the Sabres... Grew up in the Domonik Hasek Era... kinda hard to hate. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Just need a stopgap or some insulation 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Bobby Lou said:

I dunno if Gibs wanna play elsewhere tho. He's been a lifer for the Ducks.

He's got a M-NTC... Buffalo likely on his no fly list... lol

It's def possible

He's been in rumours for years though

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Just need a stopgap or some insulation 

Yep.  Basically someone who is consistent that the Sabres can ride and actually make the playoffs with.

Goaltending has been the Sabres' Achilles heel ever since they traded Ryan Miller.  It made bad teams horrible and horrible teams unwatchable.

They're p*ssing away the talent they've built up these last several years because they can't get a goalie that can regularly stop a beach ball.  UPL shows promise, but he's inconsistent. 

I have a bad feeling that UPL is going to follow in Ullmark's footsteps in 2 or 3 years and eventually go to the Bruins whose solid play and even better system makes just about any goaltender look like a world beater.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yep.  Basically someone who is consistent that the Sabres can ride and actually make the playoffs with.

Goaltending has been the Sabres' Achilles heel ever since they traded Ryan Miller.  It made bad teams horrible and horrible teams unwatchable.

They're p*ssing away the talent they've built up these last several years because they can't get a goalie that can regularly stop a beach ball.  UPL shows promise, but he's inconsistent. 

I have a bad feeling that UPL is going to follow in Ullmark's footsteps in 2 or 3 years and eventually go to the Bruins whose solid play and even better system makes just about any goaltender look like a world beater.

They have that original six appeal, being competitive for as long as they have been is impressive too

We rose, peaked, bottomed out, and have gradually started clawing our way up over the past decade+ and they've been to multiple cup finals since beating us

Track record couldn't be any more different 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They have that original six appeal, being competitive for as long as they have been is impressive too

We rose, peaked, bottomed out, and have gradually started clawing our way up over the past decade+ and they've been to multiple cup finals since beating us

Track record couldn't be any more different 

The Sabres organization bottomed out after Terry Pegula bought them.  I can't say it was his fault though because he showered the team with huge amounts of cash.  I think he may have tried to get too personally involved because it may not be a coincidence that the more he got involved with the Bills after he bought them, the Sabres organization started to calm down and finally stick with one proper rebuild plan.

It still floors me that he took away resources from the scouting department and returned them to the model that the previous owner used and they suddenly started to do better in the draft.  I think he's since returned some of what he took but he no longer gives them a blank cheque.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I didn’t think we’d get Lindholm or be able to re-sign him passed this season. Mittlestadt was number 1 on my trade wish list! We already got our guy I don’t see what we could give and if we did we’d never be able to retain everybody.

Rather we try and get Lawson Crouse.