What are the Canucks missing?

On 2/10/2024 at 6:31 AM, Baratheon said:

We need a big physically punishing forward.  I don’t love that JT and Joshua are the high end of our size up front. I’d like someone that can punish the oppositions D.

I agree. We need a heavyweight in the top 6

• Cheers 1

An ex Canuck I wouldn’t mind back is Jonah Gadjovich. Hits, fights, size, puts up solid defensive metrics - adds sand paper to the team without being a liability. Good write up on him here, but with the Panthers in the hunt maybe they keep him:

https://www.fearthefin.com/jonah-gadjovich-2023-player-review/#:~:text=Gadjovich was an asset&text=He's not afraid to play,Gadjovich did that well.

Another ex Canuck could be Zack McEwan. Bigger - hard worker, not as good defensively but again brings a similar element 

• Haha 1

Demko needs to be like Mike Vernon and other goalies of that era and do lines before periods as helped win a cup lol

That's what we are missing and since here it is legal to carry a small amount ever player could get enough for him hahahaha omg I am joking 

Just made me laugh.

On 2/9/2024 at 8:26 PM, mmkk said:

I think we need a grizzled vet that's a forward that will keep the team (Miller, Petey) in check when we are feeling down or need some pointers. We already have Cole on defense for that but we need one on forward imo. Who fits that mould out there at the moment that won't cost us that much? I'm ok with Kessel but who else is there for us that's won it all?

I've said this for years and it still rings true.

Skilled aggression.

Lawson Crouse

Travis Konecny

Brady Tkachuk

Matthew Tkachuk

Brad Marchand

Dmitri Voronkov

Trent Frederic

These are all players that bring skill and aggression.

Yes, some are better then others but, they all have a great balance of skill and grind.

We have Miller who isn't consistently that guy, Garland and Hoglander who are both too small to be that guy, and Zadorov who doesn't have the skill to be that guy.

While The Canucks can beat the teams they should beat like The Anaheims, San Joses, and Chicagos, they still have shown that they cannot compete with Boston, Vegas, or even, Philadelphia. 

I believe if it were Vancouver, Philly in the final, The Flyers would be hoisting the cup because of their higher level of physicality and puck pursuit.

I also believe that until management gets it in their heads that these types of players play a paramount role in Championship success, we will not see a Stanley Cup in Vancouver.

One of my wishlist players at this draft is Carson Wetsch. He has all the tools mentioned above. Yes, it will take time for him to develop but, I see a player, very much the likes of a Lawson Crouse. Unfortunately, I think he'll be off the board long before we get a pick.

I know all this negativity sounds like a drag but, I really am enjoying this season and look forward to playoff hockey again.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Komodo0921 said:

I've said this for years and it still rings true.

Skilled aggression.

Lawson Crouse

Travis Konecny

Brady Tkachuk

Matthew Tkachuk

Brad Marchand

Dmitri Voronkov

Trent Frederic

These are all players that bring skill and aggression.

Yes, some are better then others but, they all have a great balance of skill and grind.

We have Miller who isn't consistently that guy, Garland and Hoglander who are both too small to be that guy, and Zadorov who doesn't have the skill to be that guy.

While The Canucks can beat the teams they should beat like The Anaheims, San Joses, and Chicagos, they still have shown that they cannot compete with Boston, Vegas, or even, Philadelphia. 

I believe if it were Vancouver, Philly in the final, The Flyers would be hoisting the cup because of their higher level of physicality and puck pursuit.

I also believe that until management gets it in their heads that these types of players play a paramount role in Championship success, we will not see a Stanley Cup in Vancouver.

One of my wishlist players at this draft is Carson Wetsch. He has all the tools mentioned above. Yes, it will take time for him to develop but, I see a player, very much the likes of a Lawson Crouse. Unfortunately, I think he'll be off the board long before we get a pick.

I know all this negativity sounds like a drag but, I really am enjoying this season and look forward to playoff hockey again.

Brady Tkachuk would be the perfect addition and put us over the top but I can't fathom what that would take to get him. He does it all.

I would like Tocchet dare take Lekkerimäki into top six with Petey and Lindholm when playoff starts.

I believet Petey and Lindy will create enough space for the young Lekker to score a lot. Especially since he’s not mapped out yet.

1 minute ago, TheTribalChief said:

They need a top 6 forward and top 4 dmen

We are the best team in the league. We have the best core in the league. We have an excellent supporting cast. All clubs have holes. Our holes are smaller and fewer. 
We need nothing more. This group is winning the Cup this spring. 
The Empties have spoken. Bow 🙇 

• Like 2

Love to get oshie but unlikely, scoring power forward type sure but maybe that's podz. 

Also if went 7d, then we'd have a hell of a 4th line and could throw chaos at their net too...

boes-miller-suter

hogz-lind-pettey

garland-bluegs-josh

pdg-laff-juulsen/myers

hughes-hronek

soucy-cole

zad-myers

20 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Keeping things perspective...

What do the canucks need?... Fan appreciation.

Last season after 53 games:

21-28-4 (46 points)

This season after 53 games:

35-12-6 (76 points)

30 point increase in one season... Is that a NHL record turn around in one season?  Simply amazing.  What a fun, exciting time to be a canuck fan.

Just saying...

Kind of nice to kick back and not have to scoreboard watch, hoping to just to make it to the playoffs

• Cheers 1

On 2/10/2024 at 8:09 PM, canuck73_3 said:

By default onna mediocre team with a -10 goal diferential. 

Edler led the league in minus one year.   Not that i'm advocating for Paryoko,  it's a stat that only works with context and a lens into quality of competition and how a coach is using a player.  

On 2/12/2024 at 11:04 PM, Hogs and Podz said:

Keeping things perspective...

What do the canucks need?... Fan appreciation.

Last season after 53 games:

21-28-4 (46 points)

This season after 53 games:

35-12-6 (76 points)

30 point increase in one season... Is that a NHL record turn around in one season?  Simply amazing.  What a fun, exciting time to be a canuck fan.

Just saying...

Doubt anything will ever come close, to SJ and theMakarov" effect.     Went from 71 losses (that's hilariously bad!) and ... wait for it ... 2 ties, 11 wins, for a total of 24 points.    They simply sucked.    To 82 points in a 84 game season (bad idea, should be 78-80 IMO).  

Then they beat the Red Wings, who just had a season for the ages.   Better then Bostons season last year, no loser points or 3 x 3 OT, gimmick's and shoot-outs.   A team game settled in a 5 x 5 way.   Also not better the the 70's Habs  given they played more games.    Red Wings were already a top team.  And just killed it.   SJ.  Irbe and Makarov. Festisov (Wings fixed that later).

SJ had as much to do with the dead puck era as NJ did, more really because expansion forced that.    Both teams used the neutral zone, clutching and grabbing and interference in today's game, a "pick" play back then.   Tippet was the coach but so was Makarov.   One time, early on, Makarov had enough watching Tipppet draw out a play out on the board, he  would stood up and said (paraphrased)  "no no NO no, you do all wrong" erased the board and re-drew it "you good guy, bad coach!" grabbed his marker, and started showing the guys what to do....and the SJ version of the trap was born.   Already NJ was doing it too.   And it was nothing "new".   Just something bad teams can do to compete. 

Tippet's response was smart, he gave Makarov four guys, which Makarov picked, and split  the ice, and Makarov on one side,  while Tippet coached the other guys. 

So 24 points.  To 82.   That's remarkable.   Not sure if any other team has ever sucked so bad.   All-time.   Also not sure if any team gained 58 points either.    Know WSH also sucked in the 70's but didn't live through it like I did SJ.   Expansion in the early 90's,  was only mitigated by adding USSR and star European players, it also out grew the talent pool.     Nice that things have finally caught up. 

Edit:  Most people know Larionov was a winner.   Makarov was his equal, and the leader of that group (with Festisov)   Changed the Calder trophy on his own.   Only  Gretzky and Mario had the same impact he did at 33...  Makarov being a player coach, essentially he was.    Can't express to anyone how much SJ sucked.   Worst team i've ever seen.   And Makarov, well past his prime (saw that in 1987), came in and did something very special.   It was hyped as David versus Goliath.   Detroit was absolutely, loaded.   

As a fan it was a fun series to watch, you couldn't help to root for SJ as it went on.   Irbe for sure was their star.     Makarov was the genuis behind the win though.   And Tippet deserves credit for using that resource without any sort of ego. 

Edited by IBatch

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Edler led the league in minus one year.   Not that i'm advocating for Paryoko,  it's a stat that only works with context and a lens into quality of competition and how a coach is using a player.  

I meant the team is minus 10 not Parayko. 

On 2/13/2024 at 4:59 AM, Alflives said:

We are the best team in the league. We have the best core in the league. We have an excellent supporting cast. All clubs have holes. Our holes are smaller and fewer. 

I’m a little curious wich one of us two saying we will win this season.

I was definately first to say that I can’t see any team winning four games against us in playoffs. 
And I don’t think you talked in empties back then. 😀

On 2/12/2024 at 7:59 PM, Alflives said:

I agree. Lindholm and Zadorov were already two big rental adds and the team is first place. Don’t want to disrupt the chemistry too much and with Hogs producing our top 6 looks good.

Kessel (scoring) and Gadjovich (toughness) as essentially free extra depth would be nice if we need to mix in a different look but otherwise I am happy with the team as is and we got a guy line Podz who could jump in

• Cheers 1

On 2/9/2024 at 10:13 PM, Phil_314 said:

If we could add another Dakota Joshua/ Jordan Martinook type (physical guys who can go on heaters) for cheap I think we're set.  I hoped for a Kadri/ Sam Bennett type but we already have one in Miller, and Petey's also got some fire himself so as long as the depth holds up we should be as good to go as any.  

I like Martinook

Wonder how much he'd cost.

There is a glaring hole on the wing in the top 6.  Suter isn't a top 6 forward.  If we could target Giroux or Tarasenko, that would be ideal.  Would have to send Mikheyev for money to work, plus other pieces but either would round out our top 6 into a really good group.

Hoglander-Pettersson-Lindholm

Boeser-Miller-Tarasenko/Giroux

3 hours ago, Plaguez said:

There is a glaring hole on the wing in the top 6.  Suter isn't a top 6 forward.  If we could target Giroux or Tarasenko, that would be ideal.  Would have to send Mikheyev for money to work, plus other pieces but either would round out our top 6 into a really good group.

Hoglander-Pettersson-Lindholm

Boeser-Miller-Tarasenko/Giroux

Wonder if Giroux might be a more worthwhile add, with the extra year signed (but also pricier).
If we moved another high pick to shed Mikheyev just to lose UFA Tarasenko, that might be a loss (especially if Mikheyev rebounds next year).

• Cheers 1