Discussion Going out on a limb about Petey

Dude

On 2/11/2024 at 8:26 AM, HKSR said:

Did anybody else see Petey yawn on the bench before OT?  Is he that tired? That bored? Both?  What elite professional athlete yawns before a key point in a game?  Not a good look.  

I saw it and thought he must've seen someone in the stands yawn...and that made him yawn!

Even typing this and thinking about it made me yawn.  I doubt he was bored, but it made me chuckle at the time (then yawn).

Yawn!  (I needed to type it one more time)

Detroit Lions Football GIF

forget yawning, this guy used to sleep before games and allegedly once on the sidelines. 

In any case, different guys play at different emotional levels.  Nothing wrong with an even keeled guy as long as he’s producing.  We all remember the kerfuffle about Miller showing too much emotion.  Now Petey isn’t showing enough. Okay. 

This feels like it’s all about the contract.  Some people don’t want to pay him too much - some people are worried he’ll walk.  To me, we may as well wait until he signs for too much or leverages himself into a trade before we start running him down. Because right now he’s vastly out performing his contract, yawns or no.

Edited by The Duke
  • Upvote 1

On 2/11/2024 at 9:26 AM, HKSR said:

Did anybody else see Petey yawn on the bench before OT?  Is he that tired? That bored? Both?  What elite professional athlete yawns before a key point in a game?  Not a good look.  

Did you see him looking down just before he yawned. He was reading this thread 

• Haha 3

On 2/11/2024 at 4:56 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Imagine being 6th overall in league scoring, and your fans want you to be traded because you aren’t putting in the effort.

Fuck me, it’s almost like this fanbase doesn’t deserve any superstars or Stanley Cups…

This fanbase has reached a whole new level of absurdity.

Nicolas Cage Bullshit GIF Jeremy Clarkson Disbelief GIF by DriveTribe

• chaos 1

On 2/11/2024 at 8:26 AM, HKSR said:

You wouldn't believe what Roberto Luongo was doing right before overtime.  In the playoffs.  Not a good look at all.

On 2/10/2024 at 9:59 PM, EdgarM said:

Someone needs to start a poll. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

"Fanbase" is thrown around too much here. How about do a poll to find out what people are thinking? 

:classic_biggrin:

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

"Fanbase" is thrown around too much here. How about do a poll to find out what people are thinking? 

Yes, I should have said "a portion of the fanbase", or something to that affect. I will try to be better in the future. I will think on a poll but this isn't my thread so I can't do it here.

• Vintage 1

Yawning at a morning game on the other side of the continent?  Not worried

But if this is the place to vent about our star center, at the risk of being called a "hater", I also think Petey is not quite himself this season.  That doesn't mean he is not fighting through that and still scoring. But I do sense something off. I think it is related to the contract that is weighing more and more as the season goes on.  With all the options before him, including pulling a Tkachuk, its got to affect him.  I predict once he signs, he'll get right quickly.

But about that contract.

*hater alert*

Two issues have been a little concerning for me watching him play through his time here.

One is just physical.  Its like we are not supposed to talk about it, but he's a slim guy. You could spin it as a very svelte dashing young man. It is what it is.  I don't think he's going to be bulking up any more, its just his natural body frame. That is a challenge for a hockey player, because its a sport where physical play is a big part of the game. (Which is why conversely, a sub standard puck handler like a behemoth Myers still has a job in the NHL)

Why are some here complaining about him being knocked down frequently? That's just physics. That is part of the package. Petey himself complained about his physique once when asked about hitting and taking hits, openly wishing he was bigger.  In the playoffs it could be a factor. His talent and playmaking can overcome most of that, but there will be moments when he's just going to be easily knocked off the puck simply because of that.  Maybe that's not a huge problem as his talent can overcome that most times.  Gretzky wasn't the biggest dude either.  But it has to be a factor when looking at his price doesn't it?

The other issue is that I've still not gotten over how long that stretch was after he signed his bridge deal, to get going that season.  And when he's not producing, and a step behind, the Bambi factor is magnified.  What happens if he gets a bigger injury, is out for awhile?  Will that strange drop off happen again? That kind of scared me.

Saying all that. He is still worth signing of course. He still is one of the premier players in the league. That every other team would love to have. And its not a huge factor, but I'm just wondering if his body, his thinner frame, is something that will be used by management in negotiations to bring the number down.   (I still love you Petey)

:classic_ninja:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, kilgore said:

But if this is the place to vent about our star center, at the risk of being called a "hater", I also think Petey is not quite himself this season.  That doesn't mean he is not fighting through that and still scoring. But I do sense something off. I think it is related to the contract that is weighing more and more as the season goes on.  With all the options before him, including pulling a Tkachuk, its got to affect him.  I predict once he signs, he'll get right quickly.

But about that contract.

*hater alert*

Two issues have been a little concerning for me watching him play through his time here.

One is just physical.  Its like we are not supposed to talk about it, but he's a slim guy. You could spin it as a very svelte dashing young man. It is what it is.  I don't think he's going to be bulking up any more, its just his natural body frame. That is a challenge for a hockey player, because its a sport where physical play is a big part of the game. (Which is why conversely, a sub standard puck handler like a behemoth Myers still has a job in the NHL)

Why are some here complaining about him being knocked down frequently? That's just physics. That is part of the package. Petey himself complained about his physique once when asked about hitting and taking hits, openly wishing he was bigger.  In the playoffs it could be a factor. His talent and playmaking can overcome most of that, but there will be moments when he's just going to be easily knocked off the puck simply because of that.  Maybe that's not a huge problem as his talent can overcome that most times.  Gretzky wasn't the biggest dude either.  But it has to be a factor when looking at his price doesn't it?

The other issue is that I've still not gotten over how long that stretch was after he signed his bridge deal, to get going that season.  And when he's not producing, and a step behind, the Bambi factor is magnified.  What happens if he gets a bigger injury, is out for awhile?  Will that strange drop off happen again? That kind of scared me.

Saying all that. He is still worth signing of course. He still is one of the premier players in the league. That every other team would love to have. And its not a huge factor, but I'm just wondering if his body, his thinner frame, is something that will be used by management in negotiations to bring the number down.   (I still love you Petey)

All very valid points.

I get frustrated with this board because people get so offended and lash out when they read posts that say anything negative about Petey.

Its called constructive criticism. No one is calling him garbage, but there are definitely some things that are concerning, and if we are seriously considering giving Petey the highest contract in Canucks history, its only fair that we explore all the areas of concern.

Yes, we all know he can put up points. We can all see the NHL stats and see where his name is. But points are only one aspect. It's positive for sure, but there are other factors when evaluating elite players.

Like:

-Physicality, playmaking, driving plays, consistency, team chemistry, ability to elevate etc. Again, not saying Petey doesnt have some of these qualities, but it's totally fine to break down his game to more than just goals and assists, and I do agree there are some concerning trends.

Don't think for a second that management doesnt sit behind a closed door and tear his game play to shit when deciding what contract they want to offer, and believe me it's not because they "don't like him" or "think he's a bad player". It's because when you're looking at who to build a team around, whose going to lead a team, whose going to drag a team into the fight year in and year out for 8 years, you cant worry about hurting feelings or offending anyone.

No one can deny that he has disappeared a lot in his career. For every good month (January) we can easily point to 1 or 2 bad months.

IMHO Petey is a great player, and deserving of a good contract, but I do have concerns with investing in him for 8 years. He has not proven to be a true leader in enough of the right areas. So far to me he is just goals and assists. I believe goals and assists can be replaced. What we need from our leaders are guys who bring something more.

Again, this is constructive criticism, not just criticism for the sake of cutting him down. I'm talking long term what benefits the team and ultimately what wins us a cup. 

I guess none of this matters if he signs a very good team friendly deal. Then he isn't paid to bring something more and most folks, including me will be very happy with him being here long term. I think the concern is all very valid until we know exactly what his contract looks like, or whether he even stays.

Edited by JayDangles
Added the last paragraph
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

If he signs long term then that's an indication of his commitment to the organization, the team and his team mates. However, that doesn't mean that he'll be here for the whole duration.  Things change. Anything can happen. 

I would welcome Petey long term. Why not. The dude's elite. I mean even I have criticisms of his play sometimes, but all in all if we can keep him around for a cup run or two. Why not. 

Petey's kinda' the type of person who doesn't divulge much. It's entirely possible he won't retire a Canuck. If he signs for a shorter term, then to me that's a good indication of where he stands. So much can happen between now and his post prime years.

If he's involved with our success and a Lord Stanley championship, awesome. Let's get to it.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

But about that contract.

*hater alert*

He looks to me about 20 lbs heavier than his first season 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

All very valid points.

I get frustrated with this board because people get so offended and lash out when they read posts that say anything negative about Petey.

Its called constructive criticism. No one is calling him garbage, but there are definitely some things that are concerning, and if we are seriously considering giving Petey the highest contract in Canucks history, its only fair that we explore all the areas of concern.

Yes, we all know he can put up points. We can all see the NHL stats and see where his name is. But points are only one aspect. It's positive for sure, but there are other factors when evaluating elite players.

Like:

-Physicality, playmaking, driving plays, consistency, team chemistry, ability to elevate etc. Again, not saying Petey doesnt have some of these qualities, but it's totally fine to break down his game to more than just goals and assists, and I do agree there are some concerning trends.

Don't think for a second that management doesnt sit behind a closed door and tear his game play to shit when deciding what contract they want to offer, and believe me it's not because they "don't like him" or "think he's a bad player". It's because when you're looking at who to build a team around, whose going to lead a team, whose going to drag a team into the fight year in and year out for 8 years, you cant worry about hurting feelings or offending anyone.

No one can deny that he has disappeared a lot in his career. For every good month (January) we can easily point to 1 or 2 bad months.

IMHO Petey is a great player, and deserving of a good contract, but I do have concerns with investing in him for 8 years. He has not proven to be a true leader in enough of the right areas. So far to me he is just goals and assists. I believe goals and assists can be replaced. What we need from our leaders are guys who bring something more.

Again, this is constructive criticism, not just criticism for the sake of cutting him down. I'm talking long term what benefits the team and ultimately what wins us a cup. 

I guess none of this matters if he signs a very good team friendly deal. Then he isn't paid to bring something more and most folks, including me will be very happy with him being here long term. I think the concern is all very valid until we know exactly what his contract looks like, or whether he even stays.

Yup, there should be room for constructive criticism around what are the strengths as well as the weaknesses of a long term contract. There might be an advantage to both parties to do a shorter contract. If Petey is still wary of committing.  I'd be okay with that. Any premium priced contract over 5 years is risky anyways, IMO. 8+ year contracts do bring stability to teams and players both, but they also end up keeping in the league, at any given time, the old floaters who are just playing out the rest of their contracts. I never was worried about the Miller signing. I'd lay bets he'll still have the passion, and hockey smarts even when his legs etc let him down at the end  of his contract.  But a team has to be careful when it comes to cap draining moves like this.

Edited by kilgore

On 2/13/2024 at 11:31 PM, kilgore said:

yeah, a really ridiculus comment.

This is more about how Tocchet wants the team to play.

Petey is adapting and has to play with a line that isn’t capable using his skills.

Now with Lindy onboard he can play a more fluid game but he stills need to adapt to Tocchets coaching.

Maybe Tocchet let him loose in the playoffs if we get desperate.

But about that contract.

*hater alert*

He will get heavier as he gains more musclemass but not as much as they did in the old days…

Remember that he always tries to get new angles on skates, new club etc. Every change means it’s an adjustment period.

As the first time they spoke about his angle change and afterwards he starts falling over whe his is turning quickly.

It was either during the end of the rookie season or the sophomore season.

Yes, besides McDavid it’s very open.

MacKinnon is the next step for Petey to beat and he is close. Just a bit of stability regarding his line and that he gets the first line treatment.

• Cheers 1

On 2/10/2024 at 4:41 PM, tas said:

I kind of get it? I've always sensed a sort of aloofness, ambivalence about pettersson that kind of rubs me the wrong way. 

i don't sense an attachment to the city or organization. 

He’s done several comedic bits in the off-seasons. He’s always speaking well of our city. Sure, his aloofness is kind of Bure-seque, but I have NO doubt he is heavily-invested in his friendships with American teammates Boeser, Hughes & Demko. Whatever their combined opinions….I’m sure none of them thoroughly enjoy the fish-bowl experience of playing in a Cup-starved marketplace with among the highest seasonal NHL travel miles, to get in & out of here!  

Give him some respectful space & a little more love as a human being. Be the supportive fans he requires & he will love our city as so many other Scandinavian hockey players DO.. & have done throughout this team’s history!  

Would you trade losing the fish-bowl experience…over losing “positive” Canadian-market attention, a plethora of loyal & devoted fans with savy & an obvious love for the game? The Winnipeg Jets for all of their geographical challenges…offer that! Less-reputable hounds, who rip or hate-on his every move, would definitely infringe upon his enjoyment of life. Go ahead, chase a good thing away,…if you dare? 

A pro-hockey player’s life is full of profound sacrifices, especially for foreign players. There’s no doubt in my mind that Petey is doing a LOT of that,…for our team, his teammates & the city! His willingness to do these things long-term…well, some of that may depend - upon us! 

Anonymity in LA, Tampa Bay, SJ Miami..or some other warm beach town is appealing, when one is young & single. Let the player  decide his future! Support him on his life’s  journey with enthusiasm like any other family member would, & he will return the favour with his blood, sweat, toil & tears for as long has he remains a Canuck…& may that be long enough to see him hoist a Stanley Cup as a Canuck’...at “least” once, I say!

^Make it so! 

Edited by viking mama

On 2/13/2024 at 2:53 PM, JayDangles said:

All very valid points.

Like:

I think when PA and JR decided that QH would be Captain - that spoke volumes !  They know !

• Upvote 2

On 2/10/2024 at 4:41 PM, tas said:

I kind of get it? I've always sensed a sort of aloofness, ambivalence about pettersson that kind of rubs me the wrong way. 

i don't sense an attachment to the city or organization. 

I say trade him straight across for Clayton keller and if we can get a pick or two bonus.

I like the rumour that he wants to play for the New York Rangers. 

Could we win a trade with him going to NY i wonder. 

At this point , i don't think it's a bad thing that the media is getting in his kitchen on this. 

Edited by Blue

On 2/19/2024 at 12:28 PM, viking mama said:

He’s done several comedic bits in the off-seasons. He’s always speaking well of our city. Sure, his aloofness is kind of Bure-seque, but I have NO doubt he is heavily-invested in his friendships with American teammates Boeser, Hughes & Demko. Whatever their combined opinions….I’m sure none of them thoroughly enjoy the fish-bowl experience of playing in a Cup-starved marketplace with among the highest seasonal NHL travel miles, to get in & out of here!  

Give him some respectful space & a little more love as a human being. Be the supportive fans he requires & he will love our city as so many other Scandinavian hockey players DO.. & have done throughout this team’s history!  

Would you trade losing the fish-bowl experience…over losing “positive” Canadian-market attention, a plethora of loyal & devoted fans with savy & an obvious love for the game? The Winnipeg Jets for all of their geographical challenges…offer that! Less-reputable hounds, who rip or hate-on his every move, would definitely infringe upon his enjoyment of life. Go ahead, chase a good thing away,…if you dare? 

A pro-hockey player’s life is full of profound sacrifices, especially for foreign players. There’s no doubt in my mind that Petey is doing a LOT of that,…for our team, his teammates & the city! His willingness to do these things long-term…well, some of that may depend - upon us! 

Anonymity in LA, Tampa Bay, SJ Miami..or some other warm beach town is appealing, when one is young & single. Let the player  decide his future! Support him on his life’s  journey with enthusiasm like any other family member would, & he will return the favour with his blood, sweat, toil & tears for as long has he remains a Canuck…& may that be long enough to see him hoist a Stanley Cup as a Canuck’...at “least” once, I say!

^Make it so! 

Petey probably likes the attention on some level.

The city has been nice enough to him. I don't see a deficit in this area at all