[PGT] Canucks at Wings - 02/10/24

PhillipBlunt

8 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Best call I’ve heard so far on the Sportsnet 650 post game show was a guy that ranted for a few minutes on how Demko didn’t steal us the game today and isn’t an elite goaltender etc and the hosts just let him go the whole time and then said Demko didn’t play today and hung up 😂

Give the radio guys some credit.  They do psychotherapy every post game. 

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, The Duke said:

What was Boston’s record last year and what happened in the playoffs?  Point being: the regular season can only tell you so much.

Im glad we’re seeing a bit of adversity and opponent’s “A” games.  This group needs to get ready for it. As long as we stay relatively healthy it will only serve to make us better opposed to coasting along the last 30 games.

Another thing I’m confident in, is Petey, Hughes, Demko, Miller… even Myers were studs the last time they made playoffs.  All (except Myers of course) were PPG or just a hair off.  Boeser had 11 points in 17 - not bad either.  

Unless we go into a serious tailspin or suffer some key injuries there’s no need to panic after every loss.  We could have beat the pants off the Wings 53-0 and it would mean nothing in the playoffs.  Having a team get uppity with us and give us a bloody nose might actually help to refocus this group in the long run.  

And Petey’s getting 12 mil so just accept it and start dealing with it.  Aqualini doesn’t give a crusty rat what the fans think and he loves the guy. The question is whether he signs for 7-8 or 4-5.

Another great post and perspective. People do forget that these guys do have another, higher threshold come playoff time. Guys like Petey, Hughes, Demko, Miller live and thrive under that type of intensity. 

Going through the swamp of adversity is not only necessary but it's how you become a champion. 

We actually needed these last two games and that adversity.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Dom said:

I'll be the first to admit - I am mad as fuck about losing. With that said, the Avs have lost 3 in a row & are playing the powerhouse Panthers tonight, could be 4. Good teams lose. 

Yes but The Avs have earned the benefit of the doubt and are afforded a long leash. Canucks not so much 

7 minutes ago, drdeath said:

I feel really bad for DeSmith. He lost one game in overtime by not skating into his own teammate (Petey vs. the Blues)  and then loses this one when he could have just left the net because the breakaway they called the winning penalty shot on was probably offside if looked at closely. 

On the bright side, he got us a point on the road with a wonky 10 AM start. He’s doing his job. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, iinatcc said:

Yes but The Avs have earned the benefit of the doubt and are afforded a long leash. Canucks not so much 

Losing happens, we have only lost 2 in a row all season. I'd say they do deserve a little slack, not a lot, but a bit. 

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Another great post and perspective. People do forget that these guys do have another, higher threshold come playoff time. Guys like Petey, Hughes, Demko, Miller live and thrive under that type of intensity. 

Going through the swamp of adversity is not only necessary but it's how you become a champion. 

How do we know that if they core hasn't been to the playoff under non bubble circumstances?

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Our entire 3rd line has ZERO points in the last 6 games. Boeser has only scored in one out of the last 10 games. 

But somehow it is all Petey’s fault. How can an entire line have ZERO points in 6 games and people can claim it is playing well?  

i mean the 3rd line at the very least is not giving up goals.. i think they are only -1 in total so at least they are not a liability.. the hate on EP is he keeps falling etc etc.. so if he doesn't fall over and still gives up the goal or whatever are ppl gonna shut up about it? the problem with EP is coz he's on the taller side but a lean skinny frame his center of gravity is high and gets knock over much easier than some short bulky guy.. there's really not much he can do about it.. it's just how physic works lol

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well if the team is relying on the 3rd to win games maybe there's something wrong with the top end players? 🤔

Lol.

How many games did that third line win us?

People are really gonna call out the third line for not carrying us offensively? 😂

That line has been the most consistent all season long. Even when they’re not scoring they drive play and single handedly turn momentum in our favour. Their job afterall is to give the top players enough rest to get out there and do what they’re paid to do.

Too many passengers in the top 6 today.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well if the team is relying on the 3rd to win games maybe there's something wrong with the top end players? 🤔

We don’t need to rely on them to score every game, but they do need to score at some point do they not?

People are claiming that Garland is an absolute necessity for this team. He has ZERO points in his last 6 games. What exactly is he doing out there to drive play and generate offence?

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

On the bright side, he got us a point on the road with a wonky 10 AM start. He’s doing his job. 

Don't understand this schedule as justification of losing games. when east coast teams play in Vancouver isn't it like 10 pm in their body clock or something?

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So is tomorrows game?

I never said play two in a row I said usually your starter plays the first game.

i mean 48 hour rest in between games for the goalie.. i mean boston game to detroit game was less than 48 hours more like 38 hrs.. so make sense to give him the back game so he's on regular rest

• Cheers 1

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

i mean 48 hour rest in between games for the goalie.. i mean boston game to detroit game was less than 48 hours more like 38 hrs.. so make sense to give him the back game so he's on regular rest

Ahh gotcha. 

3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Oh I don't fault him for the game at all. Thought he had a great game after the unlucky start. But I just genuinely feel bad that he's been punished twice for trying to play hockey instead of exploring the rulebook 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Joshua.Guy said:

They're like 30-0-2 when leading after two. Calm your tits.

Yup. We are into a lull, much similar to November. We will play .500 for a bit and then go on another long heater. That’s what top teams do. And we’re a top team. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well they aren’t thriving under intensity right now so. I am not sure how he thinks they thrive under intensity. 

It's two games and they were jobbed on this one. Carolina, Boston and Detroit isn't an easy stretch of games and it's 1-1-1. Meh. You're so dramatic..

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The bubble was evidence. Still playoffs. I'm not coming off that.

Eh, na ja.

I have my points on this point but I know people here are going to die on a hill to disagree with me 

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well they aren’t thriving under intensity right now so. I am not sure how he thinks they thrive under intensity. 

**checks standings**

Yep still first in the league.

You thinking a team can maintain intensity for 82 is on you. I suggest you watch teams other than the Canucks and you’ll see the same dips and valleys in play.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Champion teams aren't drawn on paper, they are forged and folded like metal.

Losses and low efforts are all good lessons to learn before the playoffs. Systems are important, but practicing skill, combinations and grit are the key. If this team is going to have the stuff then they'd got to get punched and hated a few games and come back impervious to it in the postseason. 

Lindholm will hopefully gel, i think we'll miss kuzzy's scoring but what is done is done. We win with great forechecking, rolling lines and calm defence and goaltending. And heart, gotta have that. I see glimpses, let's see if they keep hammering themselves into place.

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
g
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol.

How many games did that third line win us?

People are really gonna call out the third line for not carrying us offensively? 😂

That line has been the most consistent all season long. Even when they’re not scoring they drive play and single handedly turn momentum in our favour. Their job afterall all is to give the top players enough rest to get out there and do what they’re paid to do.

Too many passengers in the top 6 today.

So we are paying Garland $5 million to be a checker and a play driver who can’t score?  Garland gets paid even more than Lindholm. At least Lindholm has scored since he arrived and is being used in all situations. What exactly is Garland doing out there that some $900k plug can’t accomplish?

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 1