[PGT] Canucks at Wings - 02/10/24

PhillipBlunt

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Our entire 3rd line has ZERO points in the last 6 games. Boeser has only scored in one out of the last 10 games. 

But somehow it is all Petey’s fault. How can an entire line have ZERO points in 6 games and people can claim it is playing well?  

I am not a petey whiner

bruins game our entire allstar players sucked.

today some turnovers that led to goals and desmith hasn’t played like he did earlier in thr year 

As coach said doesn’t matter if petey lines scores a few goals when they also were on for the same amount of goals against. 

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Don't understand this schedule as justification of losing games. when east coast teams play in Vancouver isn't it like 10 pm in their body clock or something?

Yeah, and home teams usually have an advantage.  That would be part of it. Just because we get the advantage at home, doesn’t mean we don’t have it against us on the road.  That’s also a 3 hour swing vs a 9 hour one.

Are you denying this would have an impact?  Because if not, the point stands.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

It's two games and they were jobbed on this one. Carolina, Boston and Detroit isn't an easy stretch of games and it's 1-1-1. Meh. You're so dramatic..

Jobbed in what way? You mean reffing? They were up 3-1 and blew the lead. You aren’t always going to get the calls in playoffs especially on the road. All they had to do was lock it down. Coach agreed as well. I am not going to use the refs as an excuse when they were up 3-1 and against a mediocre team like Detroit. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

41 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

He might just not be built the way McDavid and other stars are built in terms of being mentally strong. He just seems weak in that regard.

I don’t know. McDavid seemed liked a whiney bitch, year after year when the team he leads got bounced in the playoffs. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, PistolPete13 said:

I don’t know. McDavid seemed liked a whiney bitch, year after year when the team he leads got bounced in the playoffs. 

No but he drives play. Petey hasn’t driven play much this year. He has points but I don’t recall too many games where you could say he dominated.

3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Yeah, and home teams usually have an advantage.  That would be part of it. Just because we get the advantage at home, doesn’t mean we don’t have it against us on the road.  That’s also a 3 hour swing vs a 9 hour one.

Are you denying this would have an impact?  Because if not, the point stands.

I am not denying it but in the balance of 82 games the schedule is a non issue

Plus Detroit and Boston will come to Vancouver soon after so we can see how big of a factor this is 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

**checks standings**

Yep still first in the league.

You thinking a team can maintain intensity for 82 is on you. I suggest you watch teams other than the Canucks and you’ll see the same dips and valleys in play.

I am saying the last 30 games will tell us way more about this club than the first half of the year. Intensity ramps up. How do they handle it? It’s three games but so far the last two have not been good. 

5 minutes ago, Mordekai said:

I am not a petey whiner

bruins game our entire allstar players sucked.

today some turnovers that led to goals and desmith hasn’t played like he did earlier in thr year 

As coach said doesn’t matter if petey lines scores a few goals when they also were on for the same amount of goals against. 

#PeteyWhiner needs to be a thing just like 

#CodyCrybabies 🤣

Note .. I am part of the #WeWantCody contingent 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am saying the last 30 games will tell us way more about this club than the first half of the year. Intensity ramps up. How do they handle it? It’s three games but so far the last two have not been good. 

They’ve also pushed harder and had a tougher schedule than any other team so far.

If there’s a dip in play it’s because of fatigue.

If these games were at home at regular start times I’d be concerned. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

They’ve also pushed harder and had a tougher schedule than any other team so far.

It’s not going to get any easier in the playoffs. I question their mental toughness. I want them to prove me wrong. We will see.

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It’s not going to get any easier in the playoffs. Mental you I question their mental toughness. I want them to prove me wrong. We will see.

Nope but you get one opponent in the playoffs and regularly scheduled times and travel.

Right now they’re dealing with a learning curve. Which is when you’re the top team in the NHL teams come at you and you don’t get any off nights.

People are expecting too much if they don’t think this team will have growing pains.

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

**checks standings**

Yep still first in the league.

You thinking a team can maintain intensity for 82 is on you. I suggest you watch teams other than the Canucks and you’ll see the same dips and valleys in play.

I went to a sports clinic once and decided to sit in on a Div 1 track coach.  He went on a little tangent about “110%” saying that even if you gave “100%” you’d be dead based on the definition of giving literally everything.

His big point was, you obviously need to keep working hard, be honest with yourself (or the athletes your coaching) but accept that there’s going to be peaks and valleys along the way.  

There’s going to be slow physical days where you focus on the mental side, days where you can’t think but push your body to the limit, days where it all comes together and days that are pretty crappy.  It’s all about pushing for more great days than bad, and minimizing the down days but also not beating yourself up for having a sub optimal training session. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Fatigue, just came off the all star break. Lol. If it we the 19th or 20th, I'd buy into fatigue. You can't/shouldn't be tired after having 9 days off. Tomorrow I may give you the tired excuse. But even then, come on. Fatigue wasn't the issue. They just played like shit.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nope but you get one opponent in the playoffs and regularly scheduled times and travel.

Right now they’re dealing with a learning curve. Which is when you’re the top team in the NHL teams come at you and you don’t get any off nights.

People are expecting too much if they don’t think this team will have growing pains.

These growing pains and needed to learn a lesson seem to be a bit redundant. How many times do we need to learn you can’t take nights/periods off? Just seems like this lesson is the hardest to learn.

40 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Meh, you gotta be aggressive in 3 on 3 sometimes. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn’t.

Pettersson losing the puck and falling down along the boards led to that play.

Yeah, you're right I'm not really doubting their strategy as it often works out too. Just an observation really. It's just not like real hockey where you actually care if you lose or not and you don't take chances like that. I'm glad the playoffs are not like that because it's too chancy and lame. lol

Totally agree on Petterson too. I imagine Hughes was jumping up in the play to either anticipate a steal or break up the play. Didn't work though obviously but wow he sure let the gap go.

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

No but he drives play. Petey hasn’t driven play much this year. He has points but I don’t recall too many games where you could say he dominated.

Then maybe your complaint about Petey should be that he doesn’t drive play. I could understand why some might think so, in spite of him being 5th in the NHL with 14 primary assists while playing 5 on 5.

I would agree that Mc D is a better play driver then EP. 

I just didn’t understand the point about mental toughness and how that factors into driving play. Other factors such as skill, health, stamina, speed etc. are far more important, than mental toughness.