[PGT] Canucks at Wings - 02/10/24

PhillipBlunt

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Disappointing loss. Here are some things that stuck out for me.

1. Hey, 50% is not bad. We have all been getting greedy after the Canucks 20-2-2 run. (I think that is what it was.) Realistically, on a tough eastern road trip like this playing good teams if you can go 50% that is a win. So far the Canucks have 3 points out of a possible 6. Going to Washington on "morning" back-to-back won't be easy but the Canucks are the better team and the Canucks should be favored against Chicago. So the Canucks have a good shot to get 50% or better on this road trip.

2.  Canucks were the better team today. Mistakes hurt.   Some summary stats from Natural Stat Trick: All-strength scoring chances were 35-20 for the Canucks, High danger chances were 17-8 and expected goals were 3.72 to 2.02. Those are pretty big differences. You don't usually lose when the ice tilts in your direction that much. Some big mistakes cost the Canucks this game.

3. Hoglander. This game showed why a lot of people were happy to see Hoggy moved to the top six (replacing Mik on Petey's line). On the first goal I was saying to myself -- yeah this is why Hoggy should be there. But, he took a bad penalty early in the third and Detroit scored on the PP. Hoggy did not move his leg much but it was an obvious trip. It was a completely useless O-zone penalty as the Canucks were going to get possession of the cleared puck anyway. It was just poor discipline. Then, on the third Detroit goal, he lost a puck battle battle behind the net and did not get in a good position to defend. So maybe he should not be in the top 6.  He brings skill and energy, but his game is undisciplined.

4. The D. After Zadorov was ejected, the others D's played well. Myers of course make a terrible play to give up the first goal. He just wasn't engaged to start the game, which is not surprising with the early start. But after that he was pretty good. Still not good enough to justify his cap hit, of course, but pretty good. Hughes and Hronek were excellent and Cole and Juulsen also played well.

5. Petey. Nice to see Petey come back with a big game after playing poorly in Boston.

6. Other forwards. In the underlying stats, both the Miller line and Garland line were very good. Mik has been taking a lot of flak, but he played well and made a nice play to spring Hronek on his goal.

Overall, I feel pretty good about this game. The Canucks were the better team despite the start time. They were hurt by some correctable mistakes and were a bit unluck. DeSmith has not bad but probably would normally be expected to come up with one more big save.

Nice summary, always look forward to your PGT writeups, thanks for doing them and taking the time to do so.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey had 3 points, was a +1, had FIVE hits and 2 blocks. What the fuck did everyone else do today?  The only other player who can match those stats is Hronek. 

And yes Hughes sucked balls today. 

it doesn't matter unless EP is signed for 9mil or something and score 5 goals but loses the game it's still his fault.. production from our 3rd line have pretty much dried up of late.. and boeser really haven't been doing much either.. i think boeser and our 3rd line have 0 points in 7-8 out of the last 10 games. the 3rd line is still playing good so i'm not going to complain too much about them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

What was Boston’s record last year and what happened in the playoffs?  Point being: the regular season can only tell you so much.

Im glad we’re seeing a bit of adversity and opponent’s “A” games.  This group needs to get ready for it. As long as we stay relatively healthy it will only serve to make us better opposed to coasting along the last 30 games.

Another thing I’m confident in, is Petey, Hughes, Demko, Miller… even Myers were studs the last time they made playoffs.  All (except Myers of course) were PPG or just a hair off.  Boeser had 11 points in 17 - not bad either.  

Unless we go into a serious tailspin or suffer some key injuries there’s no need to panic after every loss.  We could have beat the pants off the Wings 53-0 and it would mean nothing in the playoffs.  Having a team get uppity with us and give us a bloody nose might actually help to refocus this group in the long run.  

And Petey’s getting 12 mil so just accept it and start dealing with it.  Aqualini doesn’t give a crusty rat what the fans think and he loves the guy. The question is whether he signs for 7-8 or 4-5.

• Cheers 4

Canucks need to go through some adversity if they are going to succeed in the playoffs. How and when they come out of this slump will be important.

Everyone also has very high expectations of this team right now. I would have been happy if the Canucks were fighting for a playoff spot this year. Instead they're top of the league! Which is awesome, but also very unrealistic to expect it to stay that way.

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Disagree.

He’s been winning faceoffs and been a great add to our pk.

The offense will come.

Not to mention he's coming into an entirely new system. Give him 15 games before you start to judge his play. 

• Cheers 2

I find it funny they are using the word learning lesson. How old is this team? It makes it sound like we are so young. We aren’t that young. Learning lesson idea is starting to get old. The lesson should be easy to learn. If you don’t play a full 60, you aren’t likely to win many games. Lesson - you work  hard and play close to a full 60, you are likely to win.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Best call I’ve heard so far on the Sportsnet 650 post game show was a guy that ranted for a few minutes on how Demko didn’t steal us the game today and isn’t an elite goaltender etc and the hosts just let him go the whole time and then said Demko didn’t play today and hung up 😂

sounds like the guys on here ripping on EP again this game even though he's in on all 3 goals mean while other guys did nothing all game gets a pass

I feel really bad for DeSmith. He lost one game in overtime by not skating into his own teammate (Petey vs. the Blues)  and then loses this one when he could have just left the net because the breakaway they called the winning penalty shot on was probably offside if looked at closely. 

On a positive note, I liked Tocchet's new lines.

Not much out of the Miller line, but with all the talent there, we should see some production.  Lindholm is taking time to make the adjustments to Canuck's system.

I liked the Pettersson/Suter/Hoglander line....  yes Hogs did make an error which cost a penalty and resulted in a goal, but he also scored, and had lots of energy.  Line was overall +2

4th line is 4th line... work in progress.  3rd line didn't have a great game but didn't give up anything either.

• Cheers 1

I'll be the first to admit - I am mad as fuck about losing. With that said, the Avs have lost 3 in a row & are playing the powerhouse Panthers tonight, could be 4. Good teams lose. 

Edited by Dom

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

sounds like the guys on here ripping on EP again this game even though he's in on all 3 goals mean while other guys did nothing all game gets a pass

I am not going to rip him.  Miller is older and likes to talk to the talk. He doesn’t always walk the walk. I am more disappointed in his play. What did he do today?

35 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Obviously you are blind as well as being a pathetic puke Petey whiner.

Petey didn't lose the puck on the 3-3... it was shot into the Canucks zone and Hronek misplayed it allowing Detroit to turn it over.  Then went back to the point and was fired in.  Nothing to do with Pettersson.

And in the OT, he checked the Detroit player and he was out of the play... which means it was 2 on 2 for the rest of the players... and the Canucks should have covered their man... the fact it ended up as a breakaway is not on Pettersson.

So f*ck you and the rest of the pathetic puke Peteywhiners.

Rage much 

I was talking about the 3rd goal

he had the puck along the wall and instead of dumping deep wings went on offense

if you don’t believe go check out what tocchet said in post game

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

it doesn't matter unless EP is signed for 9mil or something and score 5 goals but loses the game it's still his fault.. production from our 3rd line have pretty much dried up of late.. and boeser really haven't been doing much either.. i think boeser and our 3rd line have 0 points in 7-8 out of the last 10 games. the 3rd line is still playing good so i'm not going to complain too much about them.

Our entire 3rd line has ZERO points in the last 6 games. Boeser has only scored in one out of the last 10 games. 

But somehow it is all Petey’s fault. How can an entire line have ZERO points in 6 games and people can claim it is playing well?  

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I find it funny they are using the word learning lesson. How old is this team? It makes it sound like we are so young. We aren’t that young. Learning lesson idea is starting to get old. The lesson should be easy to learn. If you don’t play a full 60, you aren’t likely to win many games. Lesson - you work  hard and play close to a full 60, you are likely to win.

So the Canucks core is reduced back to this....

learn marlon wayans GIF by NBC

33 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Obviously you are blind as well as being a pathetic puke Petey whiner.

Petey didn't lose the puck on the 3-3... it was shot into the Canucks zone and Hronek misplayed it allowing Detroit to turn it over.  Then went back to the point and was fired in.  Nothing to do with Pettersson.

And in the OT, he checked the Detroit player and he was out of the play... which means it was 2 on 2 for the rest of the players... and the Canucks should have covered their man... the fact it ended up as a breakaway is not on Pettersson.

So f*ck you and the rest of the pathetic puke Peteywhiners.

Actually you're wrong. Petey goes out of his way to follow the guy around the net when he didn't the advantage. He then goes for it hitting the player and falls after the Red Wing skates away with Petey trying a lame leglock for 3-2 odd man advantage against.

Not as bad as Hughes missing his check but he is culpable for a poor decision and effort after the fact.

I've been defending Petey since the Boston game so I'm not crapping on him but he could have done better.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Our entire 3rd line has ZERO points in the last 6 games. Boeser has only scored in one out of the last 10 games. 

But somehow it is all Petey’s fault. How can an entire line have ZERO points in 6 games and people can claim it is playing well?  

Exactly. I am not sure we have the right horses on this team. A lot of talkers (Miller) though. 

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

because it's a morning early afternoon game. goalies usually don't play 2 in a row unless there's 48 hrs in between games.

So is tomorrows game?

I never said play two in a row I said usually your starter plays the first game.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well if the team is relying on the 3rd to win games maybe there's something wrong with the top end players? 🤔

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Best call I’ve heard so far on the Sportsnet 650 post game show was a guy that ranted for a few minutes on how Demko didn’t steal us the game today and isn’t an elite goaltender etc and the hosts just let him go the whole time and then said Demko didn’t play today and hung up 😂

Was that Troy?