[PGT] Canucks at Capitals - 02/11/24

PhillipBlunt

22 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Lindholm was 9 for 11 on faceoffs, led all Canuck forwards with TOI (again), make some good defensive plays. Scoring is great but if you are not, then the rest of the game needs to be up to snuff - what Tocchet likes. Winning the puck is how good offense starts and Lindholm is good at that. Scoring will come. 

Yes, but the question has to be asked:

"How is his line going?"

And unfortunately it is not going at all.

In my opinion the problem with Lindholm on the Miller line comes down to speed.

The line already has Boeser, who tries, but despite improvements over last year, is still slow.

So that leaves only Miller to retrieve pucks and be the lead forechecker.

Which doesn't cut it in the league today... with defensemen focusing on moving the puck quickly and goalies helping out.  You need some speed in the forecheck... you need a pair of forecheckers pressuring.

I think Lindholm would be better on Pettersson's line and Suter moved back to join Miller and Boes.  Suter has decent speed.  Miller/Boes/Suter had decent success.

Petey is relatively fast, (doesn't accelerate fast, but has a high top speed given the opportunity to start in his own end) and Hoogs is fast.  These guys can pressure on their line...that leaves the slower Lindholm as the trailer and the defensive minder... which Lindholm does well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I think Canucks are currently ranked 8th in betting odds. Can compete maybe but not THE favorites. 

Let the odds makers keep it that way - so this team can hide under the radar a bit and just do the stuff quietly for the rest of the regular season.

Too many variables in the playoffs anyway with regard to favorites - upsets like the Kraken and Panthers happen all the time.

Very happy with the W tonight (thanks JT) against a big / strong Caps team.  Relatively good box outs +  Demko had to be very sharp on a few occasions - liked their third as they did not have to open up too much + trade chances and lose the single pt - as RT says, just do what is given and manage the game. 

Feel there  may still be more tweaking to come with regard to the D.

Now we can really go enjoy the SB -  KC by 6

Just Win.jpg

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
  • Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

No I get that there is a fair difference among betting sites but the point is that some do have Vancouver as the favourite.

Last number of years, sporadically, I've put up a few bucks on Canucks winning the Cup before the season starts.  Usually great odds.  Why not?  But I didn't this year for some reason. I wonder what  the odds were before the season started?  And how much its changed.

Kicking myself right now.

• Cheers 3

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

I get that, but for the price we paid, and for the 7-8M he's probably asking/going to get next year, you can't just be a defensive center. We've got Suter and Blueger already, we needed a legit top-6 offensive threat who can defend well too. 

I'm not saying the trade was a mistake but we've got a find a way to get the most out of Lindholm and I don't think it's with Miller and Boeser right now. Lindholm and Petey looked dreadful against Boston but I wouldn't mind trying to revisit that with Hoglander, or split Boeser and Miller up. We've got to shake-up something because Miller and Boeser have gone real quiet of late and it lines up with breaking up the Lotto line and moving Lindholm in there.

We wanted a center in case we run with the Lotto line and could have a solid 2C so that's another option as well, so maybe get the Lotto line back together to get Boeser and Miller firing again and leave Hoglander with Lindholm.

I wouldn't mind Lotto line being reunited to get them going and to see how Lindholm can play with Nils and Ilya on 2nd line.  It is all about timing and I think we need to see them against Boston at home and evaluate on how dominant they could be and use that as an option in the playoffs. 

Suter can be an option for 4th line or  he can play with Lindholm and hopefully two wingers can get some chemistry.  We need that because we need Lindholm to be able to play without Pettersson and Miller  4th line would be better if Suter on the 4th line rather than Aman imo.  I am totally fine with current line they have going now and I think that they just need more practice and Lindholm just need time to learn the system.  I don't think they have much practice. Lindholm just need more reps at practice even if he is already good especially with PP.  This schedule didn't afford them to have good practice they wanted and were forced to take a day off before Boston game.  They can get to Chicago earlier than normal and maybe get some practice tomorrow or choose to rest.  It depends on what the coach wants.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1