[PGT] Canucks at Capitals - 02/11/24

PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

What Juulson has gotten this year is reps. That gave him the confidence that you mentioned. Yes, coaching support as well. With 30 games left I think we see more experimenting by coaching as they prep for CUP play. Juulson playing with Hughes by design or game circumstance? Does Hronek as a 2RD anchor make more sense for a playoff pairing? In some cases it looks like the game moves to fast for Meyers to process. His game has improved this year but not sure if he is a 2RD in Cup play unless his TOI is more limited. When he is processing well he can dominate. Tantalizing but frustrating at times. 

The Corrolla's were doing their thing. Succession planning makes me think that Bains could slot in there next year. Garland has shown he can score before and if he gets hot this line could win playoff games. Hogs on Petey's line has so much potential. 30 games left for him to nail that spot down. 

I'm sure rotation will happen, actually hope it will happen. 
I'm not in the bring back Tanev corner, as I think the cost will be too high, but It would make a lot of sense to have Tanev with Hughes leaving Hronek to anchor the 2nd line. 
Bit since it isn't a guarentee, sure why not try Juulsen out with Hughes.. 

Not sure Juulsen has the speed to hold a high line like Hronek, so they may need some adjustments, however I can easily see Juulsen play 2nd pairing with Soucy. 
I agree, that Myers are best, when he is being told to reel it in, and control his inner Hughes, as thats when he turns into the chaos Giraffe. Plays up the middle, trying to twist and turn in own zone and leading the rush is where, he get into trouble. 
Simple plays helped him improve, and I'm sure, Foote will have a hold on him during next practice...

Garlands line has been immense. Garland himself is driving the opposition mad and draw lots of pens, all while creating opportunities. They'll win games on their own, just as they may have to, come play offs time. I still have my concerns, if his body can last the punishment that will be handed out to him.... 

And finally Hogs growing as a player (again like Juulsen) confidence has a major role to play, just like coaching. 
I was surprised how little ice time he had the last game, but him on a line with Petey will eventually become a thing... no doubt about it, as long as he continues his tenacious play. 
The only slight concern atm is chemistry with Lindholm... hopefully they find some line mate, that suits his playing style. If not the may end up putting the lotto line back together and play him with Mika and Hogs or similar.. so far the chemistry has been off with our top players although that could be down to fatigue after the all star game. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I certainly had a busy sunday (canucks game then almost 8 hours of driving my daughter back to college and resisting urge to check superbowl - wisely).

Here's my at the rink summary.

I got to the game early and was rink-side an hour before the start. I took plenty of photos. Miller, Garland and Boeser were the ones giving warm-up pucks to the littles and fans.   @-dlc-

P1000254.thumb.JPG.ad1f5be60f0d7dcfd4e7d4608135eb5b.JPG

IMG_4934.thumb.jpeg.bec134946c8a719477db636c1807363a.jpeg

Miller giving pucks away to fans

IMG_4933.thumb.jpeg.347bc7eb36d73353955d9bda041459c3.jpeg

My kid made a sign for Garland and he nicely gave her a puck.

garlpuck.png.da68fdf3e0fae6bb370cfb279100522c.png

In terms of the game itself, was a good road victory. Demko was amazing and sucked the life out of the caps fans with his saves. Loved the win at the end, miller came up big and no shootout thankfully.

Miller was masterful out there. He was playing mind games and jawing at the caps all game and plenty of effort. Garland was amazing, maybe the universe rewarded him for puck niceness and Cole was working and driving the caps players nuts. Bluegs, Josh, even friedman really played a good road game. I did see brock pull away from a few hits but he's not there for that. Lindholm has great vision with and without the puck, i think he'd do better as the 2C center myself. Pettey had space but didn't look that dangerous out there. Huggy and Hronek just made the right plays and hughes will get a goal next game as he tried to shoot more tonight. Second unit pp wasn't as clinical as the first but they looked surprisingly good out there, credit to garland for taking a purposeful offside so the 1st unit could get out.

Having seen two games in person this year (@devils and @caps) I have to salute the fight on this team. When their big lines are dominating they are look all world but the effort down the lines (pdg did so many good things out there, so did juulsen, even suter got in the right positions) shows that this team has heart. Not always easy to see on the TV and hard to do for 82 games but there's a reason why they sit number one and it's a a lot more effort than luck.

Other sights:

P1000279.thumb.JPG.4611de52a78809064d32ca24eb1733fc.JPGpettey.thumb.jpg.635f61eb356976d343654255f2ae2eb6.jpgsmP1000273.jpg.69fd3f924ed4ae4b6c04f78748ff5a7c.jpg

Ovi resting on the boards

image.png.e187e579163c88001601832e97c22d98.png

Nice write up. 👍

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I certainly had a busy sunday (canucks game then almost 8 hours of driving my daughter back to college and resisting urge to check superbowl - wisely).

I got to the game early and was rink-side an hour before the start. I took plenty of photos. Miller, Garland and Boeser were the ones giving warm-up pucks to the littles and fans.   @-dlc-

In terms of the game itself, was a good road victory. Demko was amazing and sucked the life out of the caps fans with his saves. Loved the win at the end, miller came up big and no shootout thankfully.

Miller was masterful out there. He was playing mind games and jawing at the caps all game and plenty of effort. Garland was amazing, maybe the universe rewarded him for puck niceness and Cole was working and driving the caps players nuts. Bluegs, Josh, even friedman really played a good road game. I did see brock pull away from a few hits but he's not there for that. Lindholm has great vision with and without the puck, i think he'd do better as the 2C center myself. Pettey had space but didn't look that dangerous out there. Huggy and Hronek just made the right plays and hughes will get a goal next game as he tried to shoot more tonight. Second unit pp wasn't as clinical as the first but they looked surprisingly good out there, credit to garland for taking a purposeful offside so the 1st unit could get out.

Having seen two games in person this year (@devils and @caps) I have to salute the fight on this team. When their big lines are dominating they are look all world but the effort down the lines (pdg did so many good things out there, so did juulsen, even suter got in the right positions) shows that this team has heart. Not always easy to see on the TV and hard to do for 82 games but there's a reason why they sit number one and it's a a lot more effort than luck.

Other sights:

P1000279.thumb.JPG.4611de52a78809064d32ca24eb1733fc.JPGpettey.thumb.jpg.635f61eb356976d343654255f2ae2eb6.jpgsmP1000273.jpg.69fd3f924ed4ae4b6c04f78748ff5a7c.jpg

I hope Brock decides to add a nastier edge for the play-offs. He's giving the opposition too much time to make outlet passes, they have no concern when he barrels in. He's a big boy, yet instils no fear. Perhaps his foot speed is a factor as he can struggle to get back into the defensive play. Generally, we need more nastiness up front for the play-offs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Juuls is much better because I bet he has a wallet that says "bad motherf***er"

Nah, he gave Tocchet a bite out of his Kahuna Burger & a sip of his soft drink.

This is how effective a solid coaching staff (not just head coach) can be (something ignored/neglected in the previous regime/management).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Other sights:

giraffes fighting GIF
this message has been approved by the chaos giraffe …..

and …..

rap kanye GIF

9 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Id like to see

Pettersson Miller Boeser 

Hoglander Lindholm Suter 

Yep.

See how that works and then we either trade for a right winger or left winger and slot Suter back down to 4C.

Edited by DeNiro

1 hour ago, NHL Tyranny said:

I hope Brock decides to add a nastier edge for the play-offs. He's giving the opposition too much time to make outlet passes, they have no concern when he barrels in. He's a big boy, yet instils no fear. Perhaps his foot speed is a factor as he can struggle to get back into the defensive play. Generally, we need more nastiness up front for the play-offs. 

rap kanye GIF

What can we say?

Kanye is a massive fan…

11 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I am just curious- what does it mean exactly  "Team day off" ? Everybody free to do whatever ?

When I was playing basketball in school, University and after I graduated, back in 70-80, the Team day off was like that- usually it was during a tournament, when we lived in a city for like 2-2.5 weeks and had a break between games.

Everybody woke up at the same time and together off we went for a run 2-3 km followed by set of excursuses.

Then team breakfast. Them if it was a summer time and we are in a city like Kiev, Dnipro, Kherson- together we went to a beach for a few hours. If it was a winter time-  we went to a museum or cinema, etc.

In the evening- a team dinner.

I understand, it was former USSR and all that , but I still thing it was a right thing to do, we were very close group of guys and still are.

20 hours ago, kilgore said:

Great win! 

But what is it now 4? games in a row they've let in the first goal before or around the 1 min. mark?  It happens, I get that.  But after this many maybe there is a problem with how the team starts.  Maybe they are just too juiced to get on offence immediately, to the detriment of defence.  Rick should make a point next game to start on defence.  Not literally like a PK, but just for the first few minutes, set the game plan to have them play ultra conservative and defensive....then they can slowly open it up and take more chances. Not necessarily something to even continue with. But something has to be done to stop the first minute bleeding

I was saying all weekend that we should have been starting the game with the life line. At least we wouldn't be starting the game in our own end? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Soucy is being placed on the IR. I guess it's going to be longer than Tocchet thought it would be for Soucy.

I hope he goes ltir til the playoffs.

The cap space would be awesome  we can go out and get another top 6 f and another top 4 d for the playoffs run.

Inject soucy when the first round starts.

All the cup Champs do it. Gotta use every advantage 

• Vintage 3
  • chaos 1

Just now, Breadnbutta said:

I hope he goes ltir til the playoffs.

The cap space would be awesome  we can go out and get another top 6 f and another top 4 d for the playoffs run.

Inject soucy when the first round starts.

All the cup Champs do it. Gotta use every advantage 

Only if he really needs it. 

As far as forwards, the team needs another Joshua type. A big physical winger. Lindholm, while not on the scoresheet, has shown some solid physical play since he's arrived. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hoglander is why we can move on from Garland this summer and clear his cap. 

I think we have other "Dead Weight" we can move before Garland IMO. Lets worry about those that are part of the problem and not part of the solution first.

• Cheers 1