[PGT] Canucks at Capitals - 02/11/24

PhillipBlunt

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'll have to eat crow on this.  I thought Juulsen was dog****.  As usual, I was proven incorrect.🤣

No problem, we will still call him donkey... Everyone sees Myers' value now but we still call him giraffe. People are allowed to see the positive instead of only the negative.

If your a long time canucks fan you learn how to do this

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Hughes is the closest to Orr we have ever seen in Vancouver for sure.  Doubt he'll ever get as close to Orr as Paul Coffey was or even within a stone's throw really.

As far as Canucks go, it's also pretty easy to forget and underrate Paul Reinhart after 35 years as well.

Here is an interesting chart for the 2023 - 2024 season with Hughes and Makar against the greats

image.png.f43e449256362ec0f3dd03c999191c95.png

Will Quinn Hughes equal Orr - most likely not, Orr was a Gretzky-like player and one we probably won't ever see again (time will tell). Will Hughes consistently have the electric rushes that both Orr and Coffey had, no  but he does show flashes of that for sure. If I had to bet, staying healthy Huggy Bear will be in the top-10 list for best defenseman of all time ... and if I am right, then I hope he remains a Canuck his entire career ending with his number retired.

Whether he truly can challenge being included in the same breath as Orr or Coffey or not, I am very grateful he fell to the Canucks and we are witnessing one of the best defenseman making a case for the best of all time list and certainly will be the best the Canucks ever had once his career is over.

Go Canucks Go!

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

WOOOOOHOOOOO JT FREAKIN MILLER

We missed you in the gdt

We had some negative Nancies moaning away.

One even going on about Miller...until, well, JT did JT things in OT.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Six years x 2.5? 

Hogs will score +20g this season, so he'll likely want more $.  I can see him betting on his

skill level and go for a bridge contract and make the big $ in his UFA year.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

We missed you in the gdt

Do they not know anything?

I hope you took a number.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Mordekai said:

Is it me or juulsen is way more stable than Myers 

Juulsen wasn’t even an nhler to begin the season with bad pinches and bad reads. Now I don’t see any of those plus his footspeed isn’t being exposed.

Jewels is lower (height). You dont see him as much as Myers. Also he can hit without getting a 5 major and a game and 2 days in jail because he is tall like bigZ and Cole, Soucy and Myers. Myers is fast and we havent even begun to see what he can do offensively. You will see Myers in the playoffs. You might not even notice Jewels.

Just now, -dlc- said:

It's my opinion that they dont know much.

I didn't take a number though, I let the truth that is JT's greatness do the real talking. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

We missed you in the gdt

Well to be fair. He didn’t have a great game but he made up for it in OT.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I can provide you a hit list but then the mods would demer ... oh wait you are a mod ... n/m ...  it was the usual suspects but JT sorted them out with his goal in OT.

To the JT haters, you have to be good to be lucky, you have to be good to be in a position to accept a gift when the game is on the line.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Mik works hard every shift and is very defensively sound. He’s over paid, but not a liability.

He sure has the defensive stats to back up that claim. How many blocks, hits, takeaways does he have? What's his ratio of D zone starts? He's qute the defensive player. 

8 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Here is an interesting chart for the 2023 - 2024 season with Hughes and Makar against the greats

image.png.f43e449256362ec0f3dd03c999191c95.png

Will Quinn Hughes equal Orr - most likely not, Orr was a Gretzky-like player and one we probably won't ever see again (time will tell). Will Hughes consistently have the electric rushes that both Orr and Coffey had, no  but he does show flashes of that for sure. If I had to bet, staying healthy Huggy Bear will be in the top-10 list for best defenseman of all time ... and if I am right, then I hope he remains a Canuck his entire career ending with his number retired.

Whether he truly can challenge being included in the same breath as Orr or Coffey or not, I am very grateful he fell to the Canucks and we are witnessing one of the best defenseman making a case for the best of all time list and certainly will be the best the Canucks ever had once his career is over.

Go Canucks Go!

If I am reading that chart right it's for the first 20 games of this season.  Hughes has already fallen well off that pace and is now hoping to get 100 points rather than 130 or whatever.  Still a very elite club.  Even 80 point defensemen in NHL history is an elite club.

I'd bet a thousand dollars against a box of Kentucky Fried Chicken that Hughes won't surpass Coffey.  But he is already making a case to be considered on par with someone like Phil Housley or Larry Murphy and seems to be only trending upward.  It will be a question of consistency and longevity...it will be sad if he gets Orred, Neelied, Bure'd, Wayne Babyched or Barry Pedersoned out of what his career ought to be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Nice to see someone else who doesn’t give a crap about football or Taylor Swift. 

I'm watching Nick Taylor at the WM Phoenix Open with a nephew from Scotland. Football?? Pffft

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Hughes is the closest to Orr we have ever seen in Vancouver for sure.  Doubt he'll ever get as close to Orr as Paul Coffey was or even within a stone's throw really.

As far as Canucks go, it's also pretty easy to forget and underrate Paul Reinhart after 35 years as well.

Coffey was fabulous but he wasn’t at all like Orr. He was a transporter of the puck. Orr was a quarterback with the puck who would pass first and transport it only when absolutely needed. That is exactly how Hughes plays. He is a passer first and a puck carrier only when needed. Coffee is what Makar is now. Not really passers first but guys who want to carry (or lug) the puck. 
Highes is a generational talent the league has not seen since Orr. And that’s a fact. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well to be fair. He didn’t have a great game but he made up for it in OT.

I dont think you know much about being fair.

After the very first goal in the game,  early on, you were calling the Canucks pathetic and that they had no pride. You kept up that kind of chatter until the OT win. 

I think you could slow down and stop being soo dramatic. 

We are a good team. If we manage to win the cup it will be by inches. It will be a hard fight. Have faith. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Anyone have the giveaway stats for the game?

Felt like they were very high for both teams.

Giveaways 

Nux 4

Caps 8

Takeaways 

Nux 6

Caps 5

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

If I am reading that chart right it's for the first 20 games of this season.  Hughes has already fallen well off that pace and is now hoping to get 100 points rather than 130 or whatever.  Still a very elite club.  Even 80 point defensemen in NHL history is an elite club.

I'd bet a thousand dollars against a box of Kentucky Fried Chicken that Hughes won't surpass Coffey.  But he is already making a case to be considered on par with someone like Phil Housley or Larry Murphy and seems to be only trending upward.  It will be a question of consistency and longevity...it will be sad if he gets Orred, Neelied, Bure'd, Wayne Babyched or Barry Pedersoned out of what his career ought to be.

Ha ha... I mean, you realize he is only 24 or something still? Like most of the records he is gaining on is guys with more than 600 games played... and he is just over 300 games played. Sure, we might not get to keep him when his contract expires due to cap issues, but he is gonna blow all the canucks D-men records out.

• Upvote 2