[PGT] Canucks at Capitals - 02/11/24

PhillipBlunt

I’d rather Cole or Myers be taken out of the lineup than Juulsen when Soucy gets back.  Juulsen can actually clear the puck out of the zone unlike those two.  He’s our best PKer in my opinion right now which is crazy to say.  I find the Myers meat riding by the coaches so dumb and even Cole he makes way more mistakes than Juulsen lately and that Myers Cole pairing was dreadful today

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

It’s too bad we didn't see more Tretiak during that era - he was amazing.

IMHAO Mishkin was the better goalie. But, yes, Tretiak would have been a decent goalie in the national league. Not great, but decent. 

1 hour ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Did anyone notice when PDG and Hoggy came on the ice Miller facewashed Hogs... I think this team is really becoming a family. Its like halfway through the goal review

Yeah, Miller has pretty much been doing that since his early days here in Vancouver.

I remember JT scoring a nice goal in a hard fought game, I think it was during the rookie season for Hughes and Petterson and all the on-ice canuck players came to give him a hug. If you guessed that he face washed both of the rookies you would be right. I remember both of the rookies looked a bit uncertain of what had just happened.  

At the time I likened it to the alpha of a wolf pack having two young cubs coming over to play with him and having the alpha give both of them a quick face wash and then send them on their way.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love our club but some of our fans are either dough heads or not really our fans. 

And then there's me!

We do have some greats here but others are what they are.

Plus some need to go by stats only lol.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

And then there's me!

We do have some greats here but others are what they are.

Plus some need to go by stats only lol.

Stats are cool. Kind of like them even if I don’t understand. But stats don’t win Cups. Great players win Cups. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love our club but some of our fans are either dough heads or not really our fans. 

If we still had the 'there it is' emoji instead of the silly chaos one, (which nobody seems to know

what it means), I would have given it for this statement.  Of late, I think the non fans have become

a bigger group than the dough heads.

• chaos 4

4 hours ago, Artemus said:

In the GDT she correctly called the score (3-2) and that Miller would get the GWG.

It's like she had a crystal ball.

Now let's see how she does with her 49'er prediction.!

Now it looks like I have a better crystal ball. My predictions were: Canucks 4-2 with Miller GWG and KC. I I am off just by one goal. Not too bad .

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If we still had the 'there it is' emoji instead of the silly chaos one, (which nobody seems to know

what it means), I would have given it for this statement.  Of late, I think the non fans have become

a bigger group than the dough heads.

Exactly! Chaos makes zero sense. Cute though. 

• chaos 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Exactly! Chaos makes zero sense. Cute though. 

Chaos Giraffe (emoji) = Bruce there it is or WTF! ... depending on the content of posting being reacted to ... at least in my books.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Thanks 1
  • chaos 1

5 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

I think I counted 6 straight giveaways by our chaos giraffe in our zone under less than a min of play time. The guy’s brain just completely shuts off in spurts. Last years’ Myers showed up today.

I used the Brontosaurus as an example. It's like he has like 2 brains that work independent of each other.  Like the upper part of his body says right but his 2nd brain that operates the lower half of his body says left.  

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Chaos Giraffe (emoji) = Bruce there it is or WTF! ... depending on the content of posting being reacted to ... at least in my books.

Chaos can be used for anything. Chaotic fan base, chaotic post, chaotic hockey play or roster move, anything related to the giraffe himself 

• chaos 3

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

Nice to get the win. With 5 pts on the road trip so far the Canucks will be at least 50% and have a good shot at a really good road trip as they will be favored against Chicago.

Things that stood out for me:

1. Another sleepy start. This time it was Cole who looked surprised and slow on the first goal. He did not take the shooter or get in position to deflect the pass. Not as bad as Myers' gaffe yesterday but not good.

2. But the Canucks came  back and played pretty well in a game where most players were tired. The game was very even on the scoreboard and close to even in the underlying stats (with a slight edge for Washington). The Canucks benefited from a lucky break with a terrible giveaway by Washington late in OT that led to Miller's game-winning goal. Still a good play by Miller --good anticipation and a great shot.

3. Once again, the third line looked like the best line by the eye test and by the stats. In fairness, they usually play against the other teams' bottom 6 and third pairing, so they have weaker opponent quality, but they still played well. Nice to see Garland finally get another goal.

4. Interesting to see how Friedman did. He had protected minutes -- only 11 minutes, no PK time, and not much time against Washington's top players. But he did pretty well. Hughes played a lot with over 29 minutes--not surprising with Z. out, with OT, and with a close game. The Canucks will need to look for opportunities to rest him as much as possible.

5. I have generally been fairly positive about Mikheyev despite his lack of scoring but I think he is becoming a concern. He always plays responsible defence but today he was caught from behind by Wilson on what could have been a clean break and he just isn't generating much offensively. Good chance his knee is still not 100%. Hope we see an uptick in his game by the time the playoffs start.

6. Yesterday I was a bit critical of Hoggy. He scored a goal against Detroit but poor plays (bad penalty and bad defence) probably cost the team two goals in Detroit. Today he was better with a really nice goal and no obvious defensive mistakes that I saw. He has skill, speed, and energy. He just need to combine that with good defensive habits. Too bad we can't combine the positive aspects of Hoggy and Mik in one player.

7. Demmer was very good. The biggest difference between today and yesterday was probably goaltending. As the old adage goes, the team with the better goalie usually wins and that happened both yesterday and today.

Worth remembering that the Canucks are still in first place in the NHL overall standings with this final tough road trip almost behind them.

Good summary.

Your point 5 regarding Mikheyev......you have of course some good points, the play where he was caught by Wilson on the back check ..... it looked like Mikheyev was skating in cement. Not sure what was going on there.  His play over the last month or so was starting to be quite a concern and I was starting to lose hope that he would recover to his normal level of play, at least for this year. I've heard it said that it often takes more than a year to fully recover from knee surgery.

But, did anyone else notice later in the game a couple of bursts of speed to get in on the fore check behind the net, some robust board play to get the puck back and at least one "real good" heavy shot. These are small things but they are things that I haven't seen from Mikhayev for some time.

Often for a slumping player it will be small segments of improved play such as this that will get a player's confidence to rise. I think that is what I was seeing today (at least I hope it was).

I believe, based on what I saw today, that Mikhayev is about to start playing more like he is capable of and at a level closer to what we expect from him. 

Aw hell, I'll even make a prediction to this effect. Will soon see if my "crystal ball" is in working order.

Hopefully the next couple of games become a turning point in Mikheyev's season.

• Cheers 1