[PGT] Canucks at Capitals - 02/11/24

PhillipBlunt

Woo called up, doubt he gets to see any game time, but a nice pay raise. 

Although Hronek was hurt by a crosscheck last game, maybe he is out for a little? 

Edited by Dom

20 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I wouldn't say giving a goal in the opening Minute the last 3 games a good surprise 🤣

It's not a surprise if it happens that many times either lol.   Kidding aside.     Maybe they should stop drawing from their inner Markstrom.   Greens crew, that was regular business as usual.   It was so freaking bad, that Markstrom was working towards an all-time record, for never being capable on his own, despite all those starts, of stealing just one game on his own, from start to finish.     Imagine a goalie in this day and age, going for a bad record like that  (all-time starts without a shutout)..: on the flip side you had a dozen or so guys, who'd get you one every 9-14 games like clockwork.    That was one of the single most frustrating things about Markstrom.  Must have given Travis Green a prescription for super strength ant-acids.   Like WTF, it was so frequent, he had to have to set some sort of all-time record for the worst save percentage all-time the first 1-3 shots against ever.    Doesn't take a math genuis to get that, the eye test was enough.  

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, NucksNation said:

Why do people want to trade Garland so bad? Then we have to find a whole new third line. He can carry it by himself.

That’s why he doesn’t really work in the top 6 because he needs the puck on his stick.

Maybe a few do, because they either don't like him that much, or because his stock has raised high enough to actually get us something back, no longer a cap dump.   Personally never had a real problem with him.    We won't need to do anything until the off season.   Likely one of Garland or Mikheyev will need to go for cap reasons.    Garland is the fuel tank that keeps the Thirst line full and ready to go .    No way Allvim is messing with that before the TDL. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, NucksNation said:

Yeah Mik should deff go before Garland. I think they should build the third line around him even next season. Not many players can drive play and control puck possession like he can.

If Petey continues to prove he can’t drive his own line then his cap hit should be lower than some are expecting and we should be able to afford keeping Garland. 

Pettersson should play with Hoglander. Thought that for a long time now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Trading one of the most consistent and hard-working players on the team seems really counterproductive. 

No shit.   Plus how can you not go out and give it your all when the smallest guy on the team is giving it all, every shift?     Garland's production, has been mostly online with a UFA's cost every season.   Sure we could do better, but he's never been bad either.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, NucksNation said:

Why do people want to trade Garland so bad?

Prior to finding his footing on the 3rd line, he was kind of just spinning in the lineup with flashes of what we knew he could do. He was becoming too expensive for a lack of consistency.

Aside from his contract, though, the trade frenzy was mainly an emotional rising and overreaction to that period before he found chemistry with Blueger and Joshua.

I think to an underlying degree some of it also had to do with bad feelings left over from Benning acquiring both Garland and OEL. 

Garland has become the guy we knew he could be and key to our success.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

I am just curious- what does it mean exactly  "Team day off" ? Everybody free to do whatever ?

When I was playing basketball in school, University and after I graduated, back in 70-80, the Team day off was like that- usually it was during a tournament, when we lived in a city for like 2-2.5 weeks and had a break between games.

Everybody woke up at the same time and together off we went for a run 2-3 km followed by set of excursuses.

Then team breakfast. Them if it was a summer time and we are in a city like Kiev, Dnipro, Kherson- together we went to a beach for a few hours. If it was a winter time-  we went to a museum or cinema, etc.

In the evening- a team dinner.

I understand, it was former USSR and all that , but I still thing it was a right thing to do, we were very close group of guys and still are.

Being pros, I think the PR is messaging to the media that the players and coaches are not available.  

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Miller could be our best forward. (Bure was our most exciting for sure) linden was special, and had a lot of Miller’s skills but Miller has more elite passing skills. 
IMHAO our best player ever is the Huggable One. Miller is great, but Huggy Bear is a generational talent and closest to Orr we’ve seen in the league.,

Pretty much we have Demko, Hughes, Hronek, Petey, Miller, and (now) Lindholm as our core. IMHAO that’s the best group of core players in the league. And JR/PA will keep these guys and retool each year around them. 

Miller is our newest "Linden" but with more offensive ability. It remains to be seen if Miller can be that playoff performer Linden was, but I am very hopeful. He is our Power Forward that chip eating guy was supposed to be as it was when Sundin came here. 

Huggy IS our PMD defenseman we have always wanted and needed, no argument there. 

The only other question marks I have is with Demko and Zad in the playoffs. If Demko can do his stuff and Zad does his Byfuglin/Pronger/Chara stuff, we are going to make some noise in the playoffs for sure. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Woo’s call-up could be a chance to get a look at him against one of the worst teams in the NHL against Chicago on Tuesday, or it could just be a chance to pick up an NHL salary and sit in the press box while doing so. Either way, it’s a nice reward for a player who has already been through a number of ups and downs since joining the Canucks organization.
If Woo does play tomorrow, it will mark his NHL debut. Woo, 23, was drafted in the second round at 37th overall of the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. Through 42 games with Abbotsford this season, Woo has tallied five goals and 11 assists and has a -2 plus-minus rating.
The Canucks return home on Thursday for a rematch against the Red Wings, who beat them in overtime by a final score of 4-3 on Saturday.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, NucksNation said:

Why do people want to trade Garland so bad? Then we have to find a whole new third line. He can carry it by himself.

That’s why he doesn’t really work in the top 6 because he needs the puck on his stick.

It's simple math really. We are in a very desperate need of cap space next two years. He makes $5 mil playing on a makeshift (albeit currently playing superbly) 3rd line. Joshua and Blueger are both FA this year so the line itself is likely not even an option to keep together. Very little guarantee Garland is as effective next year. It's either that or trade one of Petey, Miller, Boeser, or Hronek, instead. Or just don't address any of the weak areas of the team, which currently is top 6 support pieces. Like you said, we've had ample sample size, Garland doesn't work up there.

There seems to be two camps. The one where a lot of us see him as a luxury we can't really afford and the other side that want to try to keep him at all costs. I mean you can try to trade Mik instead but he was signed by this management group, and he's coming off an injury. As is we'll already be skimping to get a defence group signed for next year. We just don't have the $$ to afford such a luxury.

35 minutes ago, RedWooster said:

Glad to see he has been recalled, been a long time fan ever since he joined the organisation.  Likely for only one game while Zadorov is suspended.

34 minutes ago, Dom said:

Woo called up, doubt he gets to see any game time, but a nice pay raise. 

Although Hronek was hurt by a crosscheck last game, maybe he is out for a little? 

Giving him a chance to be on the big team serves as both a positive reinforcement for his hard work and recent progression, and for him to see how NHL regulars prepare for games etc.  I don't remember if Woo was ever on the team since he got drafted.  Hope he does get a game.  But even if he doesn't play, he was likely recommended by Jeremy Colliton, so that's also an indicator that he earned it.  All positive signs.  

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO Mishkin was the better goalie. But, yes, Tretiak would have been a decent goalie in the national league. Not great, but decent. 

That's too funny. Sorry to say, but as someone who also watched both Tretiak and Mishkin weekly in their Soviet League play, I can guarantee that Mishkin wasn't even close to Tretiak. USA Miracle on Ice says hello to Mishkin 🙂 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Soucy is being placed on the IR. I guess it's going to be longer than Tocchet thought it would be for Soucy.

He'll be miraculously recovered by the time for the play offs... There is the money for either Tanev or an aggressive forward/ 4th line C

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

To be honest Alf didn’t realize just how much good coaches could helpnpkk on sayers be their best. But going from WD to TG to BB to the current group sure taught Alf a significant lesson. There is a huge difference between bad and good coaches 

@stawns has been saying this for a while. Good job by him. 

The lazy back checks, line changes or the checking with the stick instead of the body didn't give it away? Or , the not sticking up for your team mate or the favoritism by the coaches didn't give it away either? :classic_biggrin:

But seriously, I have been so excited as well when we got real coaches who have been to the dance before, its made a world of a difference and I am sure will be just as helpful in the playoffs too.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

He'll be miraculously recovered by the time for the play offs... There is the money for either Tanev or an aggressive forward/ 4th line C

I also think Mik is still suffering from recovery and should be put into LTIR till playoffs so he can get better

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

I am just curious- what does it mean exactly  "Team day off" ? Everybody free to do whatever ?

That's mainly it. No team obligations so guys can count on scheduled days for family, personal, etc. 

The team isn't available.