[PGT] Canucks at Capitals - 02/11/24

PhillipBlunt

16 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Being pros, I think the PR is messaging to the media that the players and coaches are not available.  

It's OK, I've got it, just think it would be interesting to know how exactly players/coached spend that day?

10 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I'll never understand why we let go of Juho Lammiko? I think he would be a great fit on Tocchets Canucks. He's been playing quite well in Swiss NL since he left too. 

Loved his fire and energy. That 3rd line was effective, fun to watch, and similar to our current one. They were also the best line on many nights.

Glad to see him doing well the Swiss league. He was definitely overlooked and underrated. Good affordable value. 

58 minutes ago, RedWooster said:

Glad to see he has been recalled, been a long time fan ever since he joined the organisation.  Likely for only one game while Zadorov is suspended.

Nice to see him getting a call up. Curious to see what he looks like at this level. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

How can you not LOVE this guy?

Total team player. Comes through when it really counts. In the playoffs, he'll be a key component for us.

Good thing he didn't get canceled, ran out of town, and he overcame the adversity. 

He's absolutely the type of guy this team needs to succeed. You build around guys like him. Especially culture. His passion, battle, and fire is infectious.

I think he's had a tremendous influence on bringing out the fire and passion we now see in Hughes. 

• Cheers 2

Hopefully we get a chance to see Woo at the NHL level. His progress has definitely stalled in previous years, but this year seems slightly different. Nothing against Friedman, but I'd rather see Woo in the lineup (if possible).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Well quite frankly; The last few games, haven't been our best. The way I look at it is., the road 

trip has been a killer and nobodies really been rested and on top of their games..

Wait until our 9 game homestand in March. That's when you'll really see his value after he's been fully adjusted to the team. 

• Cheers 4

26 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Prior to finding his footing on the 3rd line, he was kind of just spinning in the lineup with flashes of what we knew he could do. He was becoming too expensive for a lack of consistency.

Aside from his contract, though, the trade frenzy was mainly an emotional rising and overreaction to that period before he found chemistry with Blueger and Joshua.

I think to an underlying degree some of it also had to do with bad feelings left over from Benning acquiring both Garland and OEL. 

Garland has become the guy we knew he could be and key to our success.

Something seemed to click in Garland this season.  Mentally.

From telling his agent to try and find a team that wanted him...to leading our, arguably, second best line, some nights our first best.  And playing with such passion and energy. 

Could be a combination of things. A hit of reality when you find out no other team actually wants to clear 5 million in cap for you.  Add to that the team's great start as a whole.  Seems like he came to the conclusion that he should re-commit to the Canucks with all his effort, while the team assured him they still wanted him, after there were rumblings already last season about the team looking to ditch Garland.  I don't know if others see this, but it seems like Garland first came onto the team like a little Tasmanian elf.  Like Ronning on steroids. A joy to watch. Then after half a season, he lost some of his mojo, and tailed off to playing good but not up to par.  That so-so play only piled on how bad the OEL trade really was.

But he's playing now like I remember him playing when he first arrived. That deal was still disastrous on the whole, but at least Garland has given the clouds a bit of a silver glow on it.  Hes so fun to watch. Always seems to create something out of nothing. Perfect pairing with Joshua.

• Cheers 4

7 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Well quite frankly; The last few games, haven't been our best. The way I look at it is., the road 

trip has been a killer and nobodies really been rested and on top of their games..

Also a thought too that it's quite a strange transition for Lindholm. I don't think he's even been able to get settled in Vancouver yet as it was the all star weekend and then straight onto the road trip. I bet once the road trip is over and he can settle in more, that will help him ease into it even more.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Nice to see him getting a call up. Curious to see what he looks like at this level. 

I am a huge Jett Woo fan. I've been in his corner since day 1 and I sure hope he continues to progress and make the big show. I'd love to see him get a game ... not sure if Chicago is the place or time but I'll leave that to our excellent coaching staff.

The article was more news in his development and let's hope the slow methodical approach is just what he needs to break through and make an impact on the game. Sure could use an insta Willie Mitchell at our disposal !!!

Rick Flair Crypto GIF by BitPal

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Also a thought too that it's quite a strange transition for Lindholm. I don't think he's even been able to get settled in Vancouver yet as it was the all star weekend and then straight onto the road trip. I bet once the road trip is over and he can settle in more, that will help him ease into it even more.

Kuz seems to already settled in scoring back. To back and on a winning streak 😞 hope Lind will be good for us in the playoffs 

11 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Something seemed to click in Garland this season.  Mentally.

From telling his agent to try and find a team that wanted him...to leading our, arguably, second best line, some nights our first best.  And playing with such passion and energy. 

Could be a combination of things. A hit of reality when you find out no other team actually wants to clear 5 million in cap for you.  Add to that the team's great start as a whole.  Seems like he came to the conclusion that he should re-commit to the Canucks with all his effort, while the team assured him they still wanted him, after there were rumblings already last season about the team looking to ditch Garland.  I don't know if others see this, but it seems like Garland first came onto the team like a little Tasmanian elf.  Like Ronning on steroids. A joy to watch. Then after half a season, he lost some of his mojo, and tailed off to playing good but not up to par.  That so-so play only piled on how bad the OEL trade really was.

But he's playing now like I remember him playing when he first arrived. That deal was still disastrous on the whole, but at least Garland has given the clouds a bit of a silver glow on it.  Hes so fun to watch. Always seems to create something out of nothing. Perfect pairing with Joshua.

Agree. It was likely a combination of things. I'm always hesitant with the asking for a trade rumours. It didn't really seem that bad for him but he may have felt a bit lost with the trade rumours or it was time to move on given the OEL buyout.

Also seeing the moves and additions Allvin was making to improve the team. I think some of it came down to recognizing it's a pretty good situation he's in here rather than looking for greener grass on the other side.

Asking for a trade made more sense prior to last offseason. Can see how that could feel. 

He was lost without a clear role during a period of change. Now he has clear role and succeeding. 

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Yet we're 2-1-1 and a lot of clenched fists and angst along the way. That's the sign of a good team.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Pears said:

Wait until our 9 game homestand in March. That's when you'll really see his value after he's been fully adjusted to the team. 

Couldn't agree more. Defensive stalwart type player joins top team on a road trip and is being bounced around and playing in all situations. No where to go but up ... like you said that 9 game homestand will be a time to really settle into a role and get comfortable ... shoot he still has to find a place to live probably lol.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I am a huge Jett Woo fan. I've been in his corner since day 1 and I sure hope he continues to progress and make the big show. I'd love to see him get a game ... not sure if Chicago is the place or time but I'll leave that to our excellent coaching staff.

The article was more news in his development and let's hope the slow methodical approach is just what he needs to break through and make an impact on the game. Sure could use an insta Willie Mitchell at our disposal !!!

Rick Flair Crypto GIF by BitPal

I'm rooting for him. He's really worked hard. Not sure if he'll make the big show but we do need to give him more opportunity.

Glad he's still in our system. He turns 24 this offseason. 

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I get that, but for the price we paid, and for the 7-8M he's probably asking/going to get next year, you can't just be a defensive center. We've got Suter and Blueger already, we needed a legit top-6 offensive threat who can defend well too. 

I'm not saying the trade was a mistake but we've got a find a way to get the most out of Lindholm and I don't think it's with Miller and Boeser right now. Lindholm and Petey looked dreadful against Boston but I wouldn't mind trying to revisit that with Hoglander, or split Boeser and Miller up. We've got to shake-up something because Miller and Boeser have gone real quiet of late and it lines up with breaking up the Lotto line and moving Lindholm in there.

We wanted a center in case we run with the Lotto line and could have a solid 2C so that's another option as well, so maybe get the Lotto line back together to get Boeser and Miller firing again and leave Hoglander with Lindholm.

Hopefully when Lindholm gets some real practice time with our big guns they will start to develop the chemistry they need.

Starting things off on a road trip is probably good for him to get to know the players on a personal level but maybe not as good for building chemistry.

A top-form Lindholm + our guys would be huge for us. 

Also, I know it is an important part of his job but I imagine that relocating from Calgary with his family has probably been an adjustment, especially since he hasn't had time to settle into a new home yet. Not trying to make any excuses, just noticing some possible context. Hope he figures things out and performs for us the way we need him to.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Kuz seems to already settled in scoring back. To back and on a winning streak 😞 hope Lind will be good for us in the playoffs 

It's great that Kuzmenko has been scoring for the Flames. I'd still much rather have Lindholm as he's a much more complete player. I wouldn't worry too much about the offense as I can see him breaking through soon. Our team these past few games haven't been as sharp as they normally are.

13 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Lead all forwards in ice time today and yesterday.

Faceoffs today 82%

Yesterday 53%

He's not racking up pts but is doing what the team needs, and coach has confidence in him.  

I think chemistry is not yet there with JT/BB.  He's been through so many different lines since the trade. 

It's only been four games. Plus it's a lot rapid change to adapt to in a short amount of time. The trade, the All Star Game, the travel, personal arrangements, joining new team, the road trip, etc. 

We should see more chemistry when things somewhat settle within the month.

• Cheers 1