[PGT] Canucks at Capitals - 02/11/24

PhillipBlunt

15 minutes ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Kuz seems to already settled in scoring back. To back and on a winning streak 😞 hope Lind will be good for us in the playoffs 

Kuz has 2 goals in 3 games on a team on a 4 game winning streak.

Lind has 2 goals in 4 games on a team that has been struggling to win games.

Not much of a timeframe to make an accurate assessment on either player.

Kuz (if he plays his game style) might score lots of goals, but was a bad fit for the Canucks.

Lind's various skills makes him a far better fit for the Canucks.

We'll see these players are doing during the final stretch.  I suspect that we will

be looking at a 'hockey trade', with each team getting the player they wanted.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

1 hour ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

I also think Mik is still suffering from recovery and should be put into LTIR till playoffs so he can get better

Not sure they can do that, unless he really is deemed injured. Not an expert so can't say for sure...

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Well quite frankly; The last few games, haven't been our best. The way I look at it is., the road 

trip has been a killer and nobodies really been rested and on top of their games..

Surely we are not putting the blame for that at Lindholms door?

1 hour ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Kuz seems to already settled in scoring back. To back and on a winning streak 😞 hope Lind will be good for us in the playoffs 

Well he wasn't gonna score 2 from the press box. He may have the freedom in Calgary that Tocchet didn't want here. 
Let him run with it, and they try to trade him at the TDL...

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Agree. It was likely a combination of things. I'm always hesitant with the asking for a trade rumours. It didn't really seem that bad for him but he may have felt a bit lost with the trade rumours or it was time to move on given the OEL buyout.

Also seeing the moves and additions Allvin was making to improve the team. I think some of it came down to recognizing it's a pretty good situation he's in here rather than looking for greener grass on the other side.

Asking for a trade made more sense prior to last offseason. Can see how that could feel. 

He was lost without a clear role during a period of change. Now he has clear role and succeeding. 

Yeah, lot's of factors at work there. He's always played fairly well, not amazing but he never found that line to work on either. It was easy to blame on the poor results of the team though. Now after being in trade rumors, seemingly unwanted, then moved around to the first line early in the year then all the way to the fourth, he really started buying into what was asked from him. Then he took it to a new level. Gotta love a story like that. It's hockey at it's best. Super happy for him and the team.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Something seemed to click in Garland this season.  Mentally.

From telling his agent to try and find a team that wanted him...to leading our, arguably, second best line, some nights our first best.  And playing with such passion and energy. 

Could be a combination of things. A hit of reality when you find out no other team actually wants to clear 5 million in cap for you.  Add to that the team's great start as a whole.  Seems like he came to the conclusion that he should re-commit to the Canucks with all his effort, while the team assured him they still wanted him, after there were rumblings already last season about the team looking to ditch Garland.  I don't know if others see this, but it seems like Garland first came onto the team like a little Tasmanian elf.  Like Ronning on steroids. A joy to watch. Then after half a season, he lost some of his mojo, and tailed off to playing good but not up to par.  That so-so play only piled on how bad the OEL trade really was.

But he's playing now like I remember him playing when he first arrived. That deal was still disastrous on the whole, but at least Garland has given the clouds a bit of a silver glow on it.  Hes so fun to watch. Always seems to create something out of nothing. Perfect pairing with Joshua.

I have always said he just needed the right line mates. He had the skill and the drive, he just couldn't gel with anyone until now with Joshua and Blueger. Its a rarity to see that kind of chemistry with line mates and I can't wait to see what they can do in the playoffs.

• Cheers 4

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, lot's of factors at work there. He's always played fairly well, not amazing but he never found that line to work on either. It was easy to blame on the poor results of the team though. Now after being in trade rumors, seemingly unwanted, then moved around to the first line early in the year then all the way to the fourth, he really started buying into what was asked from him. Then he took it to a new level. Gotta love a story like that. It's hockey at it's best. Super happy for him and the team.

And he's not going to find a coach who knows his game more than Tocchet. It really is a win for him and the team. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I'm just making the assumption that Jett Woo is being brought in because Nikita Zadorov is out right now.  Ever seen Woo play the enforcer? He's good at it!

Position doesn't matter. 😼         

When Woo got the call, he was like, "Who me?"

The Canucks were like, "Yes yoo!"

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I have always said he just needed the right line mates. He had the skill and the drive, he just couldn't gel with anyone until now with Joshua and Blueger. Its a rarity to see that kind of chemistry with line mates and I can't wait to see what they can do in the playoffs.

Line mates with size and tenacity. Being a smaller dude, he needs line mates that will create space for him. He did the same thing with Miller and Podz last year.

With MAYBE the exception of QH, he has the best hands on the team. He can dangle with anyone. IF he were 6'1" 210lb, he'd be one of the top players in league in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Kuz has 2 goals in 3 games on a team on a 4 game winning streak.

Lind has 2 goals in 4 games on a team that has been struggling to win games.

Not much of a timeframe to make an accurate assessment on either player.

Kuz (if he plays his game style) might score lots of goals, but was a bad fit for the Canucks.

Lind's various skills makes him a far better fit for the Canucks.

We'll see these players are doing during the final stretch.  I suspect that we will

be looking at a 'hockey trade', with each team getting the player they wanted.

Kuz may have scored 2 but he's also giving up huge turnovers too. Lot's of players score after a trade. We'll have to see if it even continues. Bottom line I think we got the far more complete player overall who far better serves our purposes.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

We need to move on from Aman. We need toughness. Our 4th line needs some help. As has been lacking in games recently.  Canucks Army Stephen Roget points out a couple of candidates. 

Brandon Duhaime, Minnesota Wild
RW, 26, 6’2”, 200lb
$1.1 million, expiring in 2024 (UFA)
116 hits 51 games

Justin Danforth, Columbus Blue Jackets
RW/C, 30, 5’9”, 190lb
$975K AAV, expiring in 2024 (UFA)
 91 hits in 50 games

Mark Kastelic, Ottawa Senators
C, 24, 6’3”, 210lb
$835K AAV, expiring in 2025 (RFA)
55 hits in 30 games

Mathieu Olivier, Columbus Blue Jackets
RW/LW, 26, 6’1”, 217lb
$1.1 million AAV, expiring in 2025 (UFA)
62 hits in 23 games

Michael Pezzetta, Montreal Canadiens
C/W, 25, 6’1”, 210lb
$813K AAV, expiring in 2025 
153 hits in 39 games

Greenway is 3M so no.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We need to move on from Aman. We need toughness. Our 4th line needs some help. As has been lacking in games recently.  Canucks Army Stephen Roget points out a couple of candidates. 

No.

He’s developing to become a Bleugar type of C.  He works hard to keep plays alive and ranginess/skating/PK ability he has helps more than people think.

Id argue Mikheyev/PDG dont play close enough to be a grinding 4th line.  Lafferty/Aman/Hog did well because they supported each other extremely well and could win battles.  If you want more grit. Id say add a winger

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

No.

He’s developing to become a Bleugar type of C.  He works hard to keep plays alive and ranginess/skating/PK ability he has helps more than people think.

Id argue Mikheyev/PDG dont play close enough to be a grinding 4th line.  Lafferty/Aman/Hog did well because they supported each other extremely well and could win battles.  If you want more grit. Id say add a winger

Too small. We already have a Blueger and a Suter. We can't babysit Aman till he grows up.

Screenshot_20240212_150251_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Hairy Kneel

14 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Too small. We already have a Blueger and a Suter. We can't babysit Aman till he grows up.

Screenshot_20240212_150251_Chrome.jpg

more importantly plays a very responsible game/is a good skater.

Size means jack shit if you cant backcheck/forecheck.   

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

more importantly plays a very responsible game/is a good skater.

Size means jack shit if you cant backcheck/forecheck.   

He's learning on the fly as we go along. He's demonstrated an ability to learn and be responsible on a top tier team. Definitely a great find by our management team. Could we use some more depth ... sure but Aman is a great player to have in our system.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think I've ever seen Aman finish a check.

Sure, hits arnt his forte but you cant deny he plays in the gritty areas.  Ive never seen him shy away from a puck battle.

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think I've ever seen Aman finish a check.

He has a low hit total of 16, so you're probably right about that.

1 minute ago, AngryGoose said:

Sure, hits arnt his forte but you cant deny he plays in the gritty areas.  Ive never seen him shy away from a puck battle.

Yup, he plays positionally sound but doesn't go out of his way to hit people. I'm sure part of that isn't getting out of position. Especially when you're only 180 lbs., he likely knows he's not setting the tone or accomplishing much by trying to be Raffi Torres out there.

I definitely wouldn't say he's a pussy though as Hairy says. He just knows how he can be effective out there. He's fast skating, knows his angles, and how to play effective defence. He's got a +/- of zero, and 6 points so a very low event player, which is kind of valuable on the fourth line. Can someone be more effective there for us? Possibly, but it shouldn't take away from Aman's strengths either. We should remember he's a second year player with less than 100 games under his belt.

• Cheers 1