Disciplinary Action

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You can make that exact same argument against Toronto by saying they are overexposed in the media and the NHL has no choice but to make a show of force everytime they do something.

A majority of crosschecking suspensions are committed after the whistle.  

It's a possible theory, but not one I have heard brought up before. I can't say either way without individual suspension reviews.That would require in-depth analysis of each ruling by DOPS, as well as what gets by without a hearing.

I suspect most crosschecking suspensions happen closer to the whistle than in this case, and not after a goal. I guess Rielly's lack of history did the trick here, but I still think he was lucky not to get more.

It will be interesting to see the next Sens/Leafs game.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does this punishment mean a star player can be now targeted with an unsuspecting cross check to the head well after he scores and the perpetrator only gets five? 

FAFO 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Kragar said:

It's a possible theory, but not one I have heard brought up before. I can't say either way without individual suspension reviews.That would require in-depth analysis of each ruling by DOPS, as well as what gets by without a hearing.

I suspect most crosschecking suspensions happen closer to the whistle than in this case, and not after a goal. I guess Rielly's lack of history did the trick here, but I still think he was lucky not to get more.

It will be interesting to see the next Sens/Leafs game.

Right or wrong, the fact that Greig appears to be fine is a big factor too, imo

38 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

It was my mistake.  Boston is #1 and Toronto is #2.

It's flawed to take this at face value though.

As I pointed out, Boston played 66 more games than the Canucks during this period. So that has to be factored in.

30 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Right or wrong, the fact that Greig appears to be fine is a big factor too, imo

It plays into it, yep.

But these BS plays well after the whistle need to get slammed down on hard. Not sure this is enough to help prevent shit like this next time.

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does this punishment mean a star player can be now targeted with an unsuspecting cross check to the head well after he scores and the perpetrator only gets five? 

no, I think this sends a good message. Anyone who tries this again will get hit even harder. 

It was so stupid, so unnecessary. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yeah, but think about it this way: if it were longer, the league would be sending a message that a player can embarrass another team by scoring a goal and not get unsuspectingly cross-checked to the head.

I can’t believe there’s people actually defending Reilly.  They’re blaming Grieg for taking a slap shot in the flow of play to celebrate winning.  Hasn’t Matthews taunted the other team many times after scoring before???  And this wasn’t even a taunt…it was literally just securing the goal.  I cannot believe it people have to be fucked in the head to think that this was justified

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's flawed to take this at face value though.

As I pointed out, Boston played 66 more games than the Canucks during this period. So that has to be factored in.

I'm not arguing either way here.  Boston and Toronto aren't overly persecuted, nor are they underdisciplined by the league.  For what it's worth, the Canucks wouldn't get as many suspensions as Boston just by  playing 66 more games.  Unless we went crazy.

Can't believe the Leafs team and coach whining in the forums about how Reilly was a good player and how anyone would have reacted the same way.

All of them justifying a vicious cross check for the crime of shooting a puck into an empty net.

What a bunch of entitled, spoiled, immature bozos.  👺   The real problem is the Leafs player egos are too fragile to accept they are a mediocre team.

I am quite sure however, that all the whining will result in Reilly getting fewer games than he deserves... 

Just imagine if he gets less than Zadorov...  🙄

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Can't believe the Leafs team and coach whining in the forums about how Reilly was a good player and how anyone would have reacted the same way.

All of them justifying a vicious cross check for the crime of shooting a puck into an empty net.

What a bunch of entitled, spoiled, immature bozos.  👺   The real problem is the Leafs player egos are too fragile to accept they are a mediocre team.

I am quite sure however, that all the whining will result in Reilly getting fewer games than he deserves... 

Bourne was a leader in the whining category. Lost a lot of respect for that guy. The cross check bounced up from the shoulder don't you know. REilly is a nice guy don't you know. The Laffers won last night but I hope this suspension sinks their season.  

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

I'll go back to the Edler suspension when he was suspended 4 games for missing Hertl on the boards. Rielly should have got more than 5.

• Cheers 1