Disciplinary Action

1 hour ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

If Pettersson did that on an empty net with the 2 points already in the bag (which I don't think he ever would) then yes, he would absolutely deserve that kind of treatment!

I can’t see the correlation between some unnecessary grandstanding and a cross check to the face. It shows more weakness on the part of Reilly than anything. 

I'd hope as a Canucks fan it wouldn't Nurse that's first on scene but it is what it is.. It genuinely doesn't seem goofy to me at all. There's a code to adhere too!

Yet that code is violated every day seemingly by players in the league, so what use is the code if people selectively choose to follow. Better thing would have been to let Grieg have his celebration and maybe get it from his own teammates after the game. With Reilly’s attack, now Grieg has victim status that he can exploit. 

This is The National League we're talking about here.. no room for winding up taking a slapshot from that close out on an empty net..

You’re treating this league as though it represents the sport in its purest form. This is the NHL, which has players that do all sorts of dumb shit for attention. 

It's showing your opponent up.

Just flick the puck in the net..

And scoring 8-10 goals on your opponent is preserving their dignity. That happens and that’s probably a hell of a lot more demoralizing than some young spitfuck pretending he’s Al MacInnis on a breakaway. 

Win with class. That's all I'm saying. 

To me, what Grieg did was similar to shooting the puck in the net after a whistle & that always draws a crowd! 

He’s a young dumbass. One difference is that the puck was in play and Grieg didn’t do anything that would have yielded him a penalty. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, Sapper said:

The Leafs have been spamming the news with article after article how it's not discipline worthy Beyond a fine , and settled the NHL up for blow back if there is anything further applied .... Apparently Riellys hit was innocent and not a big deal. Heck their coach is all over the news supporting the hit saying it was fully justified 

Let's.be clear . . If this was the Canucks the team would be fined to the stoneage for the coach calling it justified and the player looking at 20 plus games

And we would see very one sided officiating for some time for challenging the NHL ....

The sens player deserved to be challenged for his Punk move , but for the love of god as they are not man.enough to face the time ..... They shouldn't have donr the crime 

The Laffs suck goat balls. And so does the fanbase that thinks they’re contenders. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Exactly, but I think it should be 10 or 15 games because of the after the whistle, the time on clock, and the score.

But this is hockey, and I totally understad why rielly did it, his team will appreciate it,

But there should still be a large penalty for it.  Leafs will still say its worth it. Team building and such.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Exactly, but I think it should be 10 or 15 games because of the after the whistle, the time on clock, and the score.

But this is hockey, and I totally understad why rielly did it, his team will appreciate it,

But there should still be a large penalty for it.  Leafs will still say its worth it. Team building and such.

Zero chance Matthews, Marner, and Nylander appreciate being drawn into any kind of fight. 

55 minutes ago, tas said:

rielly deserves his 6 games and this nobody showboat on the sens deserved the lumber to the mush. 

the system works. 

He didn’t get 6 games yet and 6 games is not the minimum for in person hearings, in theory he could get 0.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

I predict 4, there was no injury and I don’t think a head shot was the intent.

The bottom line is... who freakin' cares? 

Throw the friggin' book at the punk. 

He's a piece a shit who lost control of his emotions. 

Sure, the other guy provoked it, but who knows exactly what provoked the slap shot. 

Could've been a play earlier in the game, season, some trash talking, who knows. 

Fuck Reilly and the Laffs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

It's a 2 possibly 3 game suspension for Morgan Reilly MAX! Ridly Grieg isn't hurt. He's not going to miss anytime & had Reilly just dropped his stick & punched Grieg with his glove/fist we wouldn't even be talking here. Grieg 100% deserved a beating for that bush league move.. It's the fact Reilly used his stick to the shoulder/head.. Can't let that go.. 2 Games, 3 at most. Nothing to see here, move along! 

What exactly is bush league about scoring into an empty net?  I’m genuinely curious. 

Was the shot too hard?  Too much velocity?  Is there a maximum height allowed for winding up the stick?  Would a wrist shot have been better?   Should he have missed the net so not to hurt the Maple Leaves feelings?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Iron Man said:

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/reaves-backs-leafs-rielly

Reaves: "Make hockey violent again" i.e., "Please keep me relevant"

That does happen. I read a story somewhere Joey Kocur was having trouble landing a contract with a team (Red Wings) as the league was slowly moving away from the "goon squad" hockey. Over a beer, tells his good buddy Bob Probert his woes and ole Probert says [paraphrasing], "let me see what I can do". Next game against Detroit Probert beats the shit out of half the team. Kocur gets signed by Bowman to be back on the Red Wings as an enforcer. When Detroit played Chicago next, Probert and Kocur go at it. At the end of the fight, Kocur says, "Thanks for getting me back into the league.' Probert replied, ‘no problem.’ 

Probert, an absolute solid gold classic in his own right, legend!

Edit: found a source: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2021/01/28/detroit-red-wings-joe-kocur-nhl-fights-bob-probert-stanley-cup/4260093001/

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

He didn’t get 6 games yet and 6 games is not the minimum for in person hearings, in theory he could get 0.

The minimum for an in person hearing is 6 games. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/player-safety-questions

What is the difference between a telephone hearing and an in-person hearing?

If the Department of Player Safety determines that any Supplemental Discipline from an infraction will result in five games or less or a fine of more than $5,000, the hearing is conducted by phone.

If the infraction might require a suspension of six games or more, the offending Player is offered the opportunity to an in-person hearing. In this case, the Player remains suspended until the hearing takes place. If the Player waives his right to an in-person hearing, the hearing will be conducted by phone.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If the Department of Player Safety determines that any Supplemental Discipline from an infraction will result in five games or less or a fine of more than $5,000, the hearing is conducted by phone.

If the infraction might require a suspension of six games or more, the offending Player is offered the opportunity to an in-person hearing. In this case, the Player remains suspended until the hearing takes place. If the Player waives his right to an in-person hearing, the hearing will be conducted by phone.

Says might require a suspension of 6 games.  He could get less.  The farther we get away from the infraction and the less injured Greig appears, it could go less, we'll see.  My guess is 6, so if past results on my predictions hold up, he won't get 6 😆

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I can’t see the correlation between some unnecessary grandstanding and a cross check to the face. It shows more weakness on the part of Reilly than anything. 

Yet that code is violated every day seemingly by players in the league, so what use is the code if people selectively choose to follow. Better thing would have been to let Grieg have his celebration and maybe get it from his own teammates after the game. With Reilly’s attack, now Grieg has victim status that he can exploit. 

You’re treating this league as though it represents the sport in its purest form. This is the NHL, which has players that do all sorts of dumb shit for attention. 

And scoring 8-10 goals on your opponent is preserving their dignity. That happens and that’s probably a hell of a lot more demoralizing than some young spitfuck pretending he’s Al MacInnis on a breakaway. 

He’s a young dumbass. One difference is that the puck was in play and Grieg didn’t do anything that would have yielded him a penalty. 

This is a great point. Greig technically didn’t do anything illegal or unethical. He simply shot the pick into an open net. There is no rule that says how hard or soft the shot may be. 

This is quite a bit different than a goon punching a guy after he’s down on the ice which can cause a severe injury. At the end of the day, the only thing that was hurt by that slap shot were the feelings of the Leaves players and fans. And Kevin Bieksa. Who I hope gets roasted by Kelly Hrudey for being a Leaves homer. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I read that differently, if DOPS feel it’s worthy of 6 or more games the player is offered and in person interview, they still can reduce it to less than 6 after the interview if they chose. I believe this will be the case, he’ll get lass than 6.

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Says might require a suspension of 6 games.  He could get less.  The farther we get away from the infraction and the less injured Greig appears, it could go less, we'll see.  My guess is 6, so if past results on my predictions hold up, he won't get 6 😆

If it was going to be less than 6 games they wouldn’t be holding an in person hearing. They would have done it over the phone. The NHL already knows the punishment. They are simply giving the player the opportunity to respond so he can beg for forgiveness. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

I read that differently, if DOPS feel it’s worthy of 6 or more games the player is offered and in person interview, they still can reduce it to less than 6 after the interview if they chose. I believe this will be the case, he’ll get lass than 6.

No, an in person hearing is a minimum of 6 games. What exactly is Rielly going to tell them that would change their minds?  That his feelings were hurt?  That his stick accidentally cross checked Greig in the face?  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If it was going to be less than 6 games they wouldn’t be holding an in person hearing. They would have done it over the phone. The NHL already knows the punishment. They are simply giving the player the opportunity to respond so he can beg for forgiveness. 

Agree fully, but the NHL doesn't have to go 6 or more going by the language of their rules.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is a great point. Greig technically didn’t do anything illegal or unethical. He simply shot the pick into an open net. There is no rule that says how hard or soft the shot may be. 

This is quite a bit different than a goon punching a guy after he’s down on the ice which can cause a severe injury. At the end of the day, the only thing that was hurt by that slap shot were the feelings of the Leaves players and fans. And Kevin Bieksa. Who I hope gets roasted by Kelly Hrudey for being a Leaves homer. 

If Reilly hit him in the shoulder and knocked him down this would be a a non issue, unfortunately his stick came up and hit him in the head, it really wasn’t that viscous and I don’t believe intentional. Grieg deserved a response, just not a shot to the head. If it wasn’t the Leafs being involved this would be a non issue.

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What exactly is bush league about scoring into an empty net?  I’m genuinely curious. 

Was the shot too hard?  Too much velocity?  Is there a maximum height allowed for winding up the stick?  Would a wrist shot have been better?   Should he have missed the net so not to hurt the Maple Leaves feelings?

What next? 

Guy let's the puck cross the line on its own and celebrates to much?

Like it's an empty net goal who cares move on.

• chaos 1

7 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

It's a 2 possibly 3 game suspension for Morgan Reilly MAX! Ridly Grieg isn't hurt. He's not going to miss anytime & had Reilly just dropped his stick & punched Grieg with his glove/fist we wouldn't even be talking here. Grieg 100% deserved a beating for that bush league move.. It's the fact Reilly used his stick to the shoulder/head.. Can't let that go.. 2 Games, 3 at most. Nothing to see here, move along! 

tenor.gif?itemid=14485540

I hope it becomes standard practice at all future Leafs games where they have "pulled the goalie" and promptly served up a pizza for the other team to hammer a clapper right through the back of the net.

For the record, if someone did that to our beloved Canucks, I would be more (1) mad at the team for being down one goal with the game winding down and (2) mad that they suddenly channeled Luca Sbisa and delivered up a perfect pizza pie for the other team to embarrass our team ... follow said player to admire his slapshot and then give a beat down to the offending player - just this side of getting a suspension of course.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, an in person hearing is a minimum of 6 games. What exactly is Rielly going to tell them that would change their minds?  That his feelings were hurt?  That his stick accidentally cross checked Greig in the face?  

Just saying 6 is not the minimum, that do have options. Let’s say some weird camera angle came up that showed the stick didn’t hit him in the head (yah, making it up for a point) then they could theoretically unsuspecting him.

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I guess they didn’t know what the unwritten rules were back in the day or else they just forgot to crosscheck Calle Johansson in the face.

IMG_1025.gif

• chaos 3

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Just saying 6 is not the minimum, that do have options. Let’s say some weird camera angle came up that showed the stick didn’t hit him in the head (yah, making it up for a point) then they could theoretically unsuspecting him.

They probably would have caught that before deciding on an in person hearing though.