Disciplinary Action

Just now, Chickenspear said:

They probably would have caught that before deciding on an in person hearing though.

Just trying to point out that the rules are not a mandatory 6 game suspension, it can be reduced or even removed.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=14485540

I hope it becomes standard practice at all future Leafs games where they have "pulled the goalie" and promptly served up a pizza for the other team to hammer a clapper right through the back of the net.

For the record, if someone did that to our beloved Canucks, I would be more (1) mad at the team for being down one goal with the game winding down and (2) mad that they suddenly channeled Luca Sbisa and delivered up a perfect pizza pie for the other team to embarrass our team ... follow said player to admire his slapshot and then give a beat down to the offending player - just this side of getting a suspension. 

If someone did that to the Canucks I'd love for Zadorov to firmly pick up the offending player with both hands, pin him to the glass, tell him to never do that again, then put him down😎

• chaos 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is a great point. Greig technically didn’t do anything illegal or unethical. He simply shot the pick into an open net. There is no rule that says how hard or soft the shot may be. 

This is quite a bit different than a goon punching a guy after he’s down on the ice which can cause a severe injury. At the end of the day, the only thing that was hurt by that slap shot were the feelings of the Leaves players and fans. And Kevin Bieksa. Who I hope gets roasted by Kelly Hrudey for being a Leaves homer. 

I agree with you Elias

The days of taking a guys head off for show boating, are long gone.

Take in point Zegras, and Bedard's wrap around goals, then the high fives along the bench, are now encouraged.......The days of taking a guys head off for putting color into the game are gone.

IMO, it was a deliberate act (actually an assault) Imagine if the guy goes down loses his teeth, and gets a concussion from banging his head, blood everywhere........all the while, every mother watching the game, throws her kids hockey gear into the garbage. And dad puts the lid on it. If the NHL wants to grow the game, they can not risk this happening.....he deserves 10 games....he gets 6. (Which will at least be an actual punishment)

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

If Reilly hit him in the shoulder and knocked him down this would be a a non issue, unfortunately his stick came up and hit him in the head, it really wasn’t that viscous and I don’t believe intentional. Grieg deserved a response, just not a shot to the head. If it wasn’t the Leafs being involved this would be a non issue.

I’m pretty sure even a shot to the shoulder and knocking him down would have resulted in a suspension, albeit a smaller one. You can’t go after another player after they’ve scored a goal, regardless of how hurt the feelings are of the other team. 

Let me ask you a question.  Is scoring a goal via the Michigan not showing up the other team?  Isn’t that an embarrassment to the goalie?  Should the Dman or even the goalie have the right to go after the other teams player after they scored a Michigan goal? 

IMO a Michigan goal is much worse in terms of showboating than a slap shot into an empty net. Reason why is because the goalie is in the net. It’s embarrassing to let a goal in like that. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m pretty sure even a shot to the shoulder and knocking him down would have resulted in a suspension, albeit a smaller one. You can’t go after another player after they’ve scored a goal, regardless of how hurt the feelings are of the other team. 

Let me ask you a question?  Is scoring a goal via the Michigan not showing up the other team?  Isn’t that an embarrassment to the goalie?  Should the Dman or even the goalie have the right to go after the other teams player after they scored a Michigan goal? 

Here’s the thing, Reilly is more an old school player, Grieg is a younger generation. A Michigan is an attempt to score, the slapped really wasn’t necessary, maybe it’s where the NHL is heading that it’s ok but it wasn’t before. He’s lucky Geordie Howe isn’t still playing or I’m sure there’d be more teeth on the ice than in his mouth.

Personally I prefer old school hockey but I am a grumpy curmudgeon.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Just saying 6 is not the minimum, that do have options. Let’s say some weird camera angle came up that showed the stick didn’t hit him in the head (yah, making it up for a point) then they could theoretically unsuspecting him.

They’ve already looked at the camera angles. That’s why they scheduled an in person hearing. You do understand that Rielly doesn’t need to show up right?  His response means nothing. He simply is being allowed to show up to beg for forgiveness. The decision has already been made. That is why it is an in person hearing. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

They’ve already looked at the camera angles. That’s why they scheduled an in person hearing. You do understand that Rielly doesn’t need to show up right?  His response means nothing. He simply is being allowed to show up

to beg for forgiveness. The decision has already been made. That is why it is an in person hearing. 

All I’m saying and the only thing I’m saying is it doesn’t have to be 6, it can be less if they see fit, nothing more, nothing less.

Speaking of show boating, wouldn’t a goalie trying to score onto an empty net also be considered show boating?  Does the other team run the goalie after he has tried to shoot it into the empty net?  

That’s 100% not even close to being the same thing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

That’s 100% not even close to being the same thing. 

Sure it is. Goalies trying to score. The Michigan goal. Slapping a puck into an empty net. It’s all showboating. A goalie isn’t forced to try and score a goal are they?  What purpose is it for a goalie to try and score other than for shits and giggles?  

Sure it is. Goalies trying to score. The Michigan goal. Slapping a puck into an empty net. It’s all showboating. A goalie isn’t forced to try and score a goal are they?  What purpose is it for a goalie to try and score other than for shits and giggles?  

To secure the win,, does the goalie have an easier option to score?  a Michigan may look fancy but it’s also a good way to score, how would you score if your coming around the net? , taking a slapper 5 feet in front of an empty net when sliding it in is just as easy is showboating for the sake of showboating, the other two aren’t.

4 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

To secure the win,, does the goalie have an easier option to score?  a Michigan may look fancy but it’s also a good way to score, how would you score if your coming around the net? , taking a slapper 5 feet in front of an empty net when sliding it in is just as easy is showboating for the sake of showboating, the other two aren’t.

I dunno, I think if I’m on the ice it’s more embarrassing if the goalie scores on my team than if a guy slaps it into an empty net.

• Upvote 2
  • chaos 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I have 2 scenarios for you:

1) It’s game 7 SCF, 40 seconds left, Canucks are leading 3-2 and the other team pulled their goalie. You’re  the Canucks goalie. Puck comes to you off to the side, you have 2 seconds before anyone one gets near you. Do you:

A) Take a shot at the empty next.

B] Pass it to the nearest player, Meyers, and hope he clears the zone.

2) It’s game 7 SCF, 40 seconds left, Canucks are leading 3-2 and the other team pulled their goalie. You’re  a Canucks forward. Puck comes to you and you have a clear cut breakaway. Do you:

A) Guide the puck into the net for a sure goal and delivering Vancouver its first ever Cup.

B] Take a slap shot risking heeling it or missing the net.

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I dunno, I think if I’m on the ice it’s more embarrassing if the goalie scores on my team than if a guy slaps it into an empty net.

Why, it would actually need to be an impressive shot. Many players score on an empty net from their own zone. The slapper really wasn’t necessary. The response wasn’t surprising.

50 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Why, it would actually need to be an impressive shot. Many players score on an empty net from their own zone. The slapper really wasn’t necessary. The response wasn’t surprising.

Exactly because it needed to be impressive. We’ve got six guys on the ice and we let a guy with a bucket on his hand score from 200 feet. I agree a response wasn’t surprising but the crosscheck to the face was.

Edited by 4petesake
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

2) It’s game 7 SCF, 40 seconds left, Canucks are leading 3-2 and the other team pulled their goalie. You’re  a Canucks forward. Puck comes to you and you have a clear cut breakaway. Do you:

A) Guide the puck into the net for a sure goal and delivering Vancouver its first ever Cup.

I'd for sure slap the puck if I was ten feet out with a wide open net. I'd do it for all Vancouver fans. That shot would represent the punctuation mark on 54 years of faithful, frustrated fandom. A collective release that has been building since October 9, 1970. Kidding, of course, I would skate it over the goal line and give Vancouver the most cherished and historic trophy in all of North American professional sports. And I would never have to buy a drink or pay for a meal anywhere in BC for the rest of my life.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

Exactly because it needed to be impressive. We’ve got six guys on the ice and we let a guy with a bucket on his hand score from 200 feet. I agree a response was surprising but the crosscheck to the face was.

IMHO the head contact looked unintended but that’s just my opinion, that’s why I believe he’ll get less than 6. I have no problem with the slapper, I also have no problem with a response. Problem is the head contact and what this instance of it was worth. My opinion; 4 games.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I'd for sure slap the puck if I was ten feet out with a wide open net. I'd do it for all Vancouver fans. That shot would represent the punctuation mark on 54 years of faithful, frustrated fandom. A collective release that has been building since October 9, 1970. Kidding, of course, I would skate it over the goal line and give Vancouver the most cherished and historic trophy in all of North American professional sports. And I would never have to buy a drink or pay for a meal anywhere in BC for the rest of my life.

I see your point and can’t argue with it apart from one thing, what if you missed? Worse yet, they cam back and scored and won in OT, you’d never get another drink or meal anywhere in BC for the rest of your life.

Note, I replied before I got to just kidding but I like the punctuation mark as risky as it may be.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

I see your point and can’t argue with it apart from one thing, what if you missed? Worse yet, they cam back and scored and won in OT, you’d never get another drink or meal anywhere in BC for the rest of your life.

That’s the rub isn’t it? Hero or GOAT, Patrick Stefan  with eternal glory or damnation on the line.

35 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I have 2 scenarios for you:

1) It’s game 7 SCF, 40 seconds left, Canucks are leading 3-2 and the other team pulled their goalie. You’re  the Canucks goalie. Puck comes to you off to the side, you have 2 seconds before anyone one gets near you. Do you:

A) Take a shot at the empty next.

B] Pass it to the nearest player, Meyers, and hope he clears the zone.

Scenario #1:  I would pass the puck to the Dman because if the goalie misses the net it's icing.  FYI, Myers would never be on the ice with 40 seconds left in game 7 so we don't need to worry about that.

Scenario #2:  Fucking rights I would slap the puck into the net and I would embrace all of my teammates who came to join me.  If the other team wants to fuck around and find out then we would be having a bench clearing brawl in the Stanley Cup finals!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

That’s the rub isn’t it? Hero or GOAT, Patrick Stefan  with eternal glory or damnation on the line.

Yup, but you got to pick your battles, this wasn’t a good one to pick although he did pick the best team to do it to.

Scenario #1:  I would pass the puck to the Dman because if the goalie misses the net it's icing.  FYI, Myers would never be on the ice with 40 seconds left in game 7 so we don't need to worry about that.

Scenario #2:  Fucking rights I would slap the puck into the net and I would embrace all of my teammates who came to join me.  If the other team wants to fuck around and find out then we would be having a bench clearing brawl in the Stanley Cup finals!!!

Firstly, Tocchet loves Myers, secondly, all is good unless you miss and things go bad.

46 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

That was my original and only point, weird how conversations go sideways so quickly.

There's also this excerpt, which is immediately above the quoted segment:

Who attends a hearing? What is the purpose of a hearing?

A hearing consists of the offending Player, the offending Player's General Manager, members of the NHLPA, and the offending Player's agent, as well as senior members of the Department of Player Safety.

The purpose of a hearing is to interview the Player and his representatives about the play in question. No decision on Supplemental Discipline is made until the Player is given the opportunity to explain his actions.

For emphasis purposes:

No decision on Supplemental Discipline is made until the Player is given the opportunity to explain his actions.

Now, whether or not DoP(e)S goes in pre-judging what they intend to give as supplemental discipline (see: flow chart) is a different matter altogether, but based on the letter of the CBA, and based on TSNBobMcK's interpretation, I'm inclined to believe that there remains a possibility that the league could choose to take the evidence/interview details provided by the player at the in-person hearing and render a lesser punishment than 6 games.

(Unless it's the Canucks being punished - then Alex Edler goes into the fetal position wherever he's at these days. :classic_ninja:)

• Haha 1