Disciplinary Action

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

I dunno, I think if I’m on the ice it’s more embarrassing if the goalie scores on my team than if a guy slaps it into an empty net.

That's actually not even close to being true. 

If the goalie has the opportunity to score on an empty net at the end of the game, that's a hockey play.

Someone losing control of their emotions, responding, to another emotionally induced play, it's not even in the same ice rink. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

That's actually not even close to being true. 

If the goalie has the opportunity to score on an empty net at the end of the game, that's a hockey play.

Someone losing control of their emotions, responding, to another emotionally induced play, it's not even in the same ice rink. 

I didn’t say it wasn’t a hockey play, just that I’d be more embarrassed as an opposing player by it happening than that slapper.  Neither play entitles me to blow a gasket. By all means a goalie should try and score if he gets the chance, matter of fact I hope Demko pulls it off one day.

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m pretty sure even a shot to the shoulder and knocking him down would have resulted in a suspension, albeit a smaller one. You can’t go after another player after they’ve scored a goal, regardless of how hurt the feelings are of the other team. 

Let me ask you a question.  Is scoring a goal via the Michigan not showing up the other team?  Isn’t that an embarrassment to the goalie?  Should the Dman or even the goalie have the right to go after the other teams player after they scored a Michigan goal? 

IMO a Michigan goal is much worse in terms of showboating than a slap shot into an empty net. Reason why is because the goalie is in the net. It’s embarrassing to let a goal in like that. 

Needs more plusses!

Well said!.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Clearly shows that for the past 7 years the Canucks have not been picked on by rulings for suspensions. Per this chart the Canucks have received less suspensions than any other Canadian team and more than only 10 teams in the entire league.

I think those who like to pretend that the Canucks are picked on by the league should swallow hard and admit well maybe this shows that take is flawed.

Since Torres, who on this team has been suspension worthy? (on an ongoing or regular basis) 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Since Torres, who on this team has been suspension worthy? 

Do you believe that we haven't had a single infraction worthy of a suspension since 2011?

21 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Do you believe that we haven't had a single infraction worthy of a suspension since 2011?

Of course not.   Believe since Torres, we haven't had a player deserving of regular suspensions.    It's part of the reason why we haven't been heavily suspending compared to our peers during the Parros era.   We don't have Wilson on our team.  Or Marchand.   Or a Trouba, although that's a pickle, some of his stuff you'd think he'd get more games (elbows).      As for Torres, he got away with tons of stuff, eventually the league couldn't turn their head any longer.     Head hunted, and rarely didn't leave his feet.   He was our last truly dirty player. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Since Torres, who on this team has been suspension worthy? 

Burr earned a number of his (loved him anyways... don't get me banned, @-dlc- :classic_wink:), so did Edler (although I disagree on the one where he hit Hertl). Who was it that swung his stick and knocked out Gagner's teeth in a pre-season game again? There's more, for sure.

There's plenty deserved since Torres.  Some over-punished, and likely some where we came away lucky. 

The team is cleaner now than in the past. Hope it stays that way, without losing toughness.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Of course not.   Believe since Torres, we haven't had a player deserving of regular suspensions.    It's part of the reason why we haven't been heavily suspending compared to our peers during the Parros era.   We don't have Wilson on our team.  Or Marchand.   Or a Trouba, although that's a pickle, some of his stuff you'd think he'd get more games (elbows). 

Yeah, Trouba deserves to sit more often with his play.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Of course not.   Believe since Torres, we haven't had a player deserving of regular suspensions.    It's part of the reason why we haven't been heavily suspending compared to our peers during the Parros era.   We don't have Wilson on our team.  Or Marchand.   Or a Trouba, although that's a pickle, some of his stuff you'd think he'd get more games (elbows).      As for Torres, he got away with tons of stuff, eventually the league couldn't turn their head any longer.     Head hunted, and rarely didn't leave his feet.   He was our last truly dirty player. 

Ah okay, didn't understand you were referring to regularly suspended players. Fair point and I think I'd agree.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yeah, Trouba deserves to sit more often with his play.

Zero issues with his hits, if a guys trolly tracking with his head down, he's allowed to rock them as long as he's not targeting the head, it's a legal hockey play and it's nice to see that's still in the game.   It's his elbows.   

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

You know how you stop an opponent from showing you up?

You play better.

You don't crosscheck a guy in the neck post whistle.

Drawing a crowd is one thing but don't excuse this momentary loss of control. You can't just "lose it" .... ask Bertuzzi about that. There are supposedly limits to how far you can go in a  chase down attack because you're pissed off. Even IF it's with good reason.

You can't go over the line and this did. No matter what the reasoning behind it is. Drop the gloves and fight. That would be a more appropriate response.

Yup. The league needs to throw the book at Reilly. Can’t have players attacking others with this kind of violent intent at any time. But especially after a goal while the scoring player is on his way to the bench to fist bump his teammates. He will get six games, but IMHAO it should be a lot more.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would give Reilly minimum 5 games. It was well after the play, who cares if he used a slapshot to bury the empty netter, Ottawa hasn't had a lot to celebrate for the last few years. Reilly showed really poor sportsmanship in going after him to that extreme and a really high crosscheck. It's one thing to go over and say something and maybe give a little bump, but that was way over the line.

On Zadorov, I might not be in the majority, but in trying to be objective, I don't think Zadorov was trying to clip Raymond, I think he was trying to level him, which would have been an okay play. Players need to take responsibility for plays, even when they are trying to just throw a hit and miss judge angle and timing. I think 2 games was fair.

Spot on, on both accounts... Had it been the other way around, and a Canuck had been clipped, we would also be screaming murder... 

He wasn't targeting the head, but it became the main point of contact, so he'll get a suspension... 

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’d give him 4 games, partly because injury seems to be a factor in their decisions and quite frankly it didn’t seem that bad, more unfortunate that it hit him in the head.

Having said that, I don’t mind the slap shot, it stirs things up and adds character to the game but I don’t mind a retaliation either for the same reason, just need to keep it away from the head.

That's the whole point... cos check him on the body, and probably nothing happens... but he cross checks him in the face.. well away from the play. That's predatory and that will and should be hammered...

• Upvote 2

I don't understand how anyone can defend his actions in the slightest.  I've watched the video plenty of times and the only reason there's shoulder contact is because Grieg was paying attention and put his arms up in defense.  His stick was angled upward going straight for the face.

He's a young kid who's happy to win.  Was a little unnecessary sure but if he didn't get his arms up fast enough or a number of other things this could be Bertuzzi 2.0

Actions like this post whistle on someone who's unsuspecting have no place in hockey.

I love a good fight and great hits but this is just and old fart pissy because he's losing and can't control himself.
I want my son to start playing hockey and I hope he likes it but if this happened to him, regardless of whether or not he's an adult later in life I'd be pushing for a lawsuit.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

10 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

If Reilly hit him in the shoulder and knocked him down this would be a a non issue, unfortunately his stick came up and hit him in the head, it really wasn’t that viscous and I don’t believe intentional. Grieg deserved a response, just not a shot to the head. If it wasn’t the Leafs being involved this would be a non issue.

No but why did Dad get 2 games then? if the other player had stayed tall, he wouldn't have hit him the head...

He didn't, he did, and Zad received 2 games as a consequence...

Same for Reilly... He was using his stick to the face... Its his job to control his stick.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I have 2 scenarios for you:

1) It’s game 7 SCF, 40 seconds left, Canucks are leading 3-2 and the other team pulled their goalie. You’re  the Canucks goalie. Puck comes to you off to the side, you have 2 seconds before anyone one gets near you. Do you:

A) Take a shot at the empty next.

B] Pass it to the nearest player, Meyers, and hope he clears the zone.

2) It’s game 7 SCF, 40 seconds left, Canucks are leading 3-2 and the other team pulled their goalie. You’re  a Canucks forward. Puck comes to you and you have a clear cut breakaway. Do you:

A) Guide the puck into the net for a sure goal and delivering Vancouver its first ever Cup.

B] Take a slap shot risking heeling it or missing the net.

If its Toronto or Boston, I hope they take a slap shot, just to rub their faces in it... F them both.

57 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

You know how you stop an opponent from showing you up?

You play better.

You don't crosscheck a guy in the neck post whistle.

Yup.  Maybe if Reilly learned how to play his position like an actual NHLer, he wouldn't have given up a breakway that was so easy that Greig could do that.  Absolutely gutless play and should be a minimum of 10 games, but the Leafs should also healthy scratch him to get the point home that the way he plays in his own zone is also completely unacceptable.  This bum is a complete disgrace to the sport with his cowardly play and outright refusal to play defence.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yup.  Maybe if Reilly learned how to play his position like an actual NHLer, he wouldn't have given up a breakway that was so easy that Greig could do that.  Absolutely gutless play and should be a minimum of 10 games, but the Leafs should also healthy scratch him to get the point home that the way he plays in his own zone is also completely unacceptable.  This bum is a complete disgrace to the sport with his cowardly play and outright refusal to play defence.

Leafs will win without Reilly, book it. Media will run with the "team has come together to overcome" narrative. No media will touch the truth in that Reilly is one of the most overrated dmen in the league.