Disciplinary Action

20 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Since 2020 only AJ Greer (Cross Checking) and Jeremy Lauzon  have been suspended for any head contact, kinda weird to label them as the outlier when it is only 2 instances in about 5 seasons. 

It's the after the play issue, the play is dead, there's no longer a "heat of the moment" argument. Now, it's premeditated attack where he had to go WAY out of his way to go deliver the shot. Its not like this happened in a battle in front of the net where they are fighting hard for puck control and slashing and hacking each other.

I don't think it will go as long as 10 games, but I think this is minimum 5 games and could easily see it go 7 or 8 which might bury Toronto. They aren't exactly sitting in a safe spot right now if New Jersey or Islanders suddenly heat up. New Jersey is having goalie issues, if they pickup Markstrom without degrading the rest of their lineup, they could really push this through the last 30 games.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

No but why did Dad get 2 games then? if the other player had stayed tall, he wouldn't have hit him the head...

He didn't, he did, and Zad received 2 games as a consequence...

Same for Reilly... He was using his stick to the face... Its his job to control his stick.

Cuz the league hasn't figured out how to punish those who don't know how to play properly yet. Per that earlier video here, the younguns need to learn when they can skate like that and when they can't.

They handled the Bedard hit properly, but in Zad's case it looks like he blew his line of attack. Had he gone straight into Raymond, it would have been a clean, solid, bone-crushing hit, one that may have done more damage given the size difference and the physics at work.

I want to think Zad did not go head-hunting, but the optics of that play leave it open as a possibility.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

It's the after the play issue, the play is dead, there's no longer a "heat of the moment" argument. Now, it's premeditated attack where he had to go WAY out of his way to go deliver the shot. Its not like this happened in a battle in front of the net where they are fighting hard for puck control and slashing and hacking each other.

I don't think it will go as long as 10 games, but I think this is minimum 5 games and could easily see it go 7 or 8 which might bury Toronto. They aren't exactly sitting in a safe spot right now if New Jersey or Islanders suddenly heat up. New Jersey is having goalie issues, if they pickup Markstrom without degrading the rest of their lineup, they could really push this through the last 30 games.

Some might argue the Leafs are better without him in the lineup lol

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Some might argue the Leafs are better without him in the lineup lol

And it's absurd.  They literally don't have a single puck-moving defenceman anymore.  You are going to start seeing Marner and Nylander having the carry the puck from their own end of the ice.  Remember when Pettersson had to do that in his rookie year?  It was brutal to watch.  Toronto has no choice but to try playing safe, defensive hockey (a tactic they really haven't tried all year) with Martin Jones in net.

• Like 1

Just now, Miss Korea said:

And it's absurd.  They literally don't have a single puck-moving defenceman anymore.  You are going to start seeing Marner and Nylander having the carry the puck from their own end of the ice.  Remember when Pettersson had to do that in his rookie year?  It was brutal to watch.  Toronto has no choice but to try playing safe, defensive hockey (a tactic they really haven't tried all year) with Martin Jones in net.

So they'll learn to play defence, then get Reilly back.  I'd say that's gonna be an improvement overall.  I rather they just carry on what they're doing now cuz they're almost out of a playoff spot haha

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

So they'll learn to play defence, then get Reilly back.  I'd say that's gonna be an improvement overall.  I rather they just carry on what they're doing now cuz they're almost out of a playoff spot haha

Toronto has made the playoffs almost every single year with Morgan Rielly as their #1 defenceman.  His poor defending has never affected the overall success of the Leafs in the regular season.  He is NOT the reason they are in danger of missing the postseason for the first time in 8 years.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Toronto has made the playoffs almost every single year with Morgan Rielly as their #1 defenceman.  His poor defending has never affected the overall success of the Leafs in the regular season.  He is NOT the reason they are in danger of missing the postseason for the first time in 8 years.

Not saying he is.  I'm saying the system overall is the problem.  So if they change their ways and learn to play defence, then inject Reilly back into that environment, they'll be better because of it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Cuz the league hasn't figured out how to punish those who don't know how to play properly yet. Per that earlier video here, the younguns need to learn when they can skate like that and when they can't.

They handled the Bedard hit properly, but in Zad's case it looks like he blew his line of attack. Had he gone straight into Raymond, it would have been a clean, solid, bone-crushing hit, one that may have done more damage given the size difference and the physics at work.

I want to think Zad did not go head-hunting, but the optics of that play leave it open as a possibility.

Spot on... a d thats why he got 2. 👍

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Here’s the thing, Reilly is more an old school player, Grieg is a younger generation. A Michigan is an attempt to score, the slapped really wasn’t necessary, maybe it’s where the NHL is heading that it’s ok but it wasn’t before. He’s lucky Geordie Howe isn’t still playing or I’m sure there’d be more teeth on the ice than in his mouth.

Personally I prefer old school hockey but I am a grumpy curmudgeon.

You do know the reason why Grieg did it don’t you? It wasn’t just a random dick move.  The leaf fans were chanting “go leafs go” all game long.  If you have ever been to a leafs game here in Vancouver, you’ll know what I mean.  It’s why our very own Chaos Giraffe has one of his most physical games of the year against the leafs here at home.  Leaf fans are the most obnoxious fans in Canada.  Almost any leafs game I’ve been to there is always a few around me that cant Stfu about how great their players are.  This goes on all game.  When Grieg made that slapshot for the empty net goal, he was giving the middle finger to all the leaf fans in the arena.  For that I commend him for doing that and he was willing to pay the price for it.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

52 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

lol....some might argue that the Leafs should trade everyone and rebuild....

that someone, MIGHT be me.... 😉

Nah, let them suffer in the bed they've made themselves for a few more years.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coho8888 said:

You do know the reason why Grieg did it don’t you? It wasn’t just a random dick move.  The leaf fans were chanting “go leafs go” all game long.  If you have ever been to a leafs game here in Vancouver, you’ll know what I mean.  It’s why our very own Chaos Giraffe has one of his most physical games of the year against the leafs here at home.  Leaf fans are the most obnoxious fans in Canada.  Almost any leafs game I’ve been to there is always a few around me that cant Stfu about how great their players are.  This goes on all game.  When Grieg made that slapshot for the empty net goal, he was giving the middle finger to all the leaf fans in the arena.  For that I commend him for doing that and he was willing to pay the price for it.

Had an obnoxious one behind me going on and on about 13 cups, I just said shut up until you can win a 3rd round.... 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

6 games for a cross check to the helmet. I am thinking a few more games for a cross check to the face, maybe. :classic_biggrin:

Also, Perron’s hit was in response to Joseph’s head shot on Larkin which knocked him out cold.  Zub was in the wrong place at the wrong time as Perron thought it was him that did it.  

Breaking News. Verdict is in. Morgan Reilly has been punished with watching six consecutive Canucks games at 700 pm Pacific start times. "We at NHL head office feel it's fair punishment for Morgan Rielly to stay up and watch how real teams, and real defensman play hockey". Reilly has commented saying "this is a great opportunity for myself to better my game and learn from my mistakes".

• Haha 1
  • chaos 1

16 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Breaking News. Verdict is in. Morgan Reilly has been punished with watching six consecutive Canucks games at 700 pm Pacific start times. "We at NHL head office feel it's fair punishment for Morgan Rielly to stay up and watch how real teams, and real defensman play hockey". Reilly has commented saying "this is a great opportunity for myself to better my game and learn from my mistakes".

Add in, forced to watch a video of EVERY suit that Don Cherry ever wore on Hockey Night in Canada, with guided introspective from the tailor on choices made in fabric color and texture....

He'd probably never play hockey again after that, would just enter a vegetative state, like the rest of the Leaf's team, and stare off into space for the rest of his days....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rekker said:

We shall see. I'm betting Leafs better than ever this season for the stretch without Reilly. They will give the minutes to a dman that actually helps prevent goals and will be better for it. Offence will be fine without Reilly. Total fluffball.

Koach Huffy, is that you? 😆 (kidding!)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Koach Huffy, is that you? 😆 (kidding!)

I share the same spite for dmen, always have, that can't play D as Heffy does. Reilly, Barrie, Bouchards of the world are not welcome on my team. Lol.

Edited by Rekker
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

I share the same spite for dmen, always have, that can't play D as Heffy does. Reilly, Barrie, Bouchards of the world are not welcome on my team. Lol.

That's why, other than Hughes and Hronek, I don't care if the other 4 D don't score at all. Just play solid D. Take the body and clear the front of our net. 

And intimidate the shit out of the opposition. Make 'em dread having to enter our zone. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

How can you tell Leafs nation is losing their collective minds waiting for the outcome of this hearing?  Their media group just produces a ton of content to use up all that nervous energy... check out Leafs nation at its best on Toronto Sports Network lmao.  Literally the landing page for "NHL" right now...

image.thumb.png.41eca79208e578a4b6298dc3c1cca35e.png