Petey vs Pastrnak: They're both solid play drivers - pay the man.

The original poster should be given credit for being objective and basing his analysis on facts.

Overall, if you look at the data he has presented is accurate.  These two players are relatively the same in terms of point generation.

However, strictly based on the data, Pastrnak is probably more valuable because he is a goalscorer... goalscorers always get paid more... Matthews is an example.

On that basis you could then assume Pettersson is worth less.

However there is another factor which hasn't been noted:   Pettersson is two years younger than Pastrnak.  Pastrnak is 27, typically most players peak between 27-30... then starting to decline.  Pettersson is 25, and therefore just coming into his peak performance years... but he is equaling Pastrnak's point production now... leaving the possibility he'll pass him in production in a couple years and continue to produce longer into an 8 year contract.

When you consider this age, then the fact Pastrnak scores more goals becomes less of a factor... although still very important.

Overall, the two players are very close in value, but I would still put Pasta slightly ahead of Petey... because of the goal scoring.

I personally think Pettersson should be offered, and sign for 10.75 mil per year for 9 years... or 11.25 mil for 6 years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, old guy said:

How many NHL All-Stars are on Pastrnaks line?

How many NHL allstars are on Pettersson's line?

Don't count Boeser and Miller, cause they only played with him for a fraction of the season.

By the way, Brad Marchand is a star.... as much as we might hate him.

7 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

The original poster should be given credit for being objective and basing his analysis on facts.

Overall, if you look at the data he has presented is accurate.  These two players are relatively the same in terms of point generation.

However, strictly based on the data, Pastrnak is probably more valuable because he is a goalscorer... goalscorers always get paid more... Matthews is an example.

On that basis you could then assume Pettersson is worth less.

However there is another factor which hasn't been noted:   Pettersson is two years younger than Pastrnak.  Pastrnak is 27, typically most players peak between 27-30... then starting to decline.  Pettersson is 25, and therefore just coming into his peak performance years... but he is equaling Pastrnak's point production now... leaving the possibility he'll pass him in production in a couple years and continue to produce longer into an 8 year contract.

When you consider this age, then the fact Pastrnak scores more goals becomes less of a factor... although still very important.

Overall, the two players are very close in value, but I would still put Pasta slightly ahead of Petey... because of the goal scoring.

I personally think Pettersson should be offered, and sign for 10.75 mil per year for 9 years... or 11.25 mil for 6 years.

Agree except instead of 9, make an 8.   As far as what his actual value is.   What he will sign for, is anyone's guess. 

He’s worth that today. But everyone knows the cap is going up. 

I think the issue is probably term. Petey probably signs a $12M deal tomorrow…with a 2-3 year term. Canucks probably want the full 8, or at least close to it. So how much extra is that worth?

13 hours ago, old guy said:

How many NHL All-Stars are on Pastrnaks line?

that's a bad take.. NHL all star is fan voted.. and the mandatory 1 per team.. Lindholm and Boeser would not be an all star if it wasn't for the fan vote or the 1 per team mandatory. 

same question do you how many all-star are on pettersson line? kuzmenko suter hoglander mikheyev garland studnicka laffety.. he played like 5 games with the lotto line.. i'll take marchand zacha coyle jvr over most of the players that we put out with pettersson

8 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

It’s impossible in the NHL now to sign for more than 8, and yet the 9 doesn’t seem like the most unlikely number here.