[Speculation] Current asking price for CGY’s Chris Tanev

16 minutes ago, Screw said:

If someone pays a 1st for Tanev they would make Benning look like a competent GM.

Teams give up 1sts for rentals every year

Dallas makes a lot of sense, their biggest weak spot is probably RD and bringing in Tanev makes their already solid defensive team stronger 

I'm assuming whoever trades for him also tries to extend him as well, so he may very well not be a rental

Benn, Seguin, and Pavelski aren't getting any younger, Dallas has a window now

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Screw said:

If someone pays a 1st for Tanev they would make Benning look like a competent GM.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Dallas makes a lot of sense, their biggest weak spot is probably RD and bringing in Tanev makes their already solid defensive team stronger 

I'm assuming whoever trades for him also tries to extend him as well, so he may very well not be a rental

This goes back to the 2016 TDL. He failed to move UFAs in Hamhuis and Vrbata and resulted with them walking for absolutely nothing.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

D is a HUGE need here too. With high how their 1st is going to be, I can easily see them giving it up plus a B prospect and then signing him to an extension. I am worried that they might be one solid shutdown D away from true Cup contention although with my team now partnering with them, I should probably wish them the best. Unless they face us in the POs 😋

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

D is a HUGE need here too. With high how their 1st is going to be, I can easily see them giving it up plus a B prospect and then signing him to an extension. I am worried that they might be one solid shutdown D away from true Cup contention although with my team now partnering with them, I should probably wish them the best. Unless they face us in the POs 😋

Dallas is a scary central team, no doubt, Tanev could put them over the top

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dallas is a scary central team, no doubt, Tanev could put them over the top

If Stankhoven lives up to the hype on this callup it would be like a free trade before the deadline. Not necessarily dissimilar if Bains lives up to his playing on the 1st line tonight and hopefully moving forward. Both are sorta pipe dreams, but it would be sick for both. 

• Cheers 1

It'll be interesting to see if Calgary just sell everyone, and they really should - now's the perfect time to do it. I know they're technically only 3 points out of a playoff spot but come on, their points % is trash and they're nowhere near good enough to make the playoffs let alone do anything once they get there. A meek shot at making the playoffs just for all these guys to walk in free agency would be a joke. They started the ball rolling with the Lindholm and Zadorov trades but now need to finish the job - move Hanifin, Tanev and really ideally Markstrom and maybe even Mang as well.

They can surely get a 1st from Tanev straight-up, albeit a late one (Toronto or Dallas surely).

Hanifin is a beast and can get a Hronek-like deal, maybe a 1st + 2nd + prospect.

Markstrom my goodness...probably similar to Hanifin. Certainly a 1st + solid player/prospect.

Mang is easily worth a 1st too.

They could leave this season picking 10th-ish overall (if they tank it after the TDL) with a bucket of firsts and prospects. They've already got two this year but not much more than that so really should walk away into the draft next year with 3-4 firsts and a bunch of 2nds and prospects. 

Speaking further to Dallas being interested in Tanev

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2853614/report-stars-express-strong-interest-in-flames-tanev

The list of teams pursuing Chris Tanev continues to grow, as the Dallas Stars have shown strong interest in the Calgary Flames defenseman, reports The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.

Stars general manager Jim Nill wouldn't confirm that specifically, but he did acknowledge that he's eyeing an upgrade at the position.

"We've got a solid 13 forwards up top already, and then I know I've got a bunch of young guys down below," Nill told LeBrun. "Defense, you can never have enough defensemen. So that's something we're looking at. What's the cost of acquisition - what's the asset cost? That's what we're monitoring right now."

The Stars have been known for their defensive play in recent years, but this season has been a different story. They entered Monday ranked fourth in goals per game but tied for 12th in goals against per contest.

"That's why I don't think we've reached our best performance yet," Nill said. "I still think there's another level we can go to. That's finding the balance between offense and defense. We've been a pretty dynamic team offensively, but we know if we're going to have success in the playoffs, we have to tighten up defensively."

Tanev is one of the hottest commodities as the March 8 deadline approaches. The pending unrestricted free agent can invoke a 10-team no-trade list, but the Flames have already shipped out forward Elias Lindholm and may ultimately do the same with blue-liner Noah Hanifin.

The Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs have reportedly been interested in acquiring Tanev. The rugged defense-first rearguard has a $4.5-million cap hit, according to CapFriendly.

Sounds like Toronto are cooking something for Tanev + a forward (surely Mang?).

If I were Toronto I'd go hard after their defencemen, they could get an automatic top pairing out of Calgary. Hanifin, Andersson, Tanev...take your pick.

TO CGY: Marner + Liljegren + 1st

TO TOR: Hanifin + Andersson or Tanev

Calgary are going to lose these defencemen so why not, might as well get a top scorer out of it. Seems odd but Marner's only 26 and if Calgary want to retool on the fly, he's young enough that they can do so. Huby and Kadri are in it for the long haul so why not give them an elite forward to play with? Sure, they lose two top defencemen but they can try and rebuild the D through free agency.

Meanwhile Toronto finally get some balance and look more like a proper team. They're not going to give up Matthews, JT is too expensive and not good enough to trade and they just signed Nylander so Marner makes the most sense to give them balance. Toronto suddenly should be taken seriously.