[Speculation] Current asking price for CGY’s Chris Tanev

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

We run the risk of Soucy returning before the end of the regular season then.  

Isn’t his return date under the control of team doctors though? Maybe we put Soucy on IR so we can hold him out. And we will bring in Tanev closer to the TDL, when the cap works out? 
Heck, the Krackheads are stinking it up so let’s get both Tanev’s!!!

Well to be honest, it's not up to the players. Certainly understand their feelings though. 

One thing to keep in mind is that we for surly are going for it this year, of that there is no doubt. 

No reason to think the team won't be very good next year as well. / I'm not for it because I remember

the constant injury problems and the fact he played through them which just made it worse.

I suppose there's a vote somewhere on this board about it, my feeling is; It would have to be damn cheap

and nothing more then a two year deal.

6 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I think Myers is built for the playoffs. I thought he was one of our best D during the bubble playoffs. St Louis had to hit him from behind to knock him out of the series

You don’t remember Tyler Minors?

Tanev at 50% retained can be fit under the cap.

Soucy can be put on LTIR so there isn’t a worry until mid March when he is healthy and done a conditioning stint.

IF we don’t have another injury by then to fit the little bit extra Tanev’s contract would cost, then you simply run with a short roster for the last few weeks of the season until there is no cap.  Lots of teams do this, and use emergency call ups and such to keep squeezing under the cap.

Once the TDL comes around we can’t go out and replace an injured player.  If we get an injury to our top four D, it probably ends our aspirations of a long playoff run.  The team has been unusually healthy and still isn’t deep enough to overcome a key injury.

Adding Tanev gives you insurance to have an extra guy who can slot onto any pairing, including with Hughes.  

We have spent enough assets to go all in for this year, and actually have a viable path to the finals with no juggernauts in the West, that it doesn’t make sense to stop now if the price is a 2nd and a mid tier prospect.

• Vintage 1

I'm sure Calgary is trying to get a 1st, but I really don't think there's any teams out there who will give up that high a pick for him. I'd rather do something like, Friedman (cap move) and a 2nd round pick in 2025. Price will drop as we get closer to the deadline, I don't think Toronto will try and go all in this year, they have too many problems, Tanev wouldn't tip the scale for them.

We would need Calgary to retain 50%, but I think if they did that, send them Friedman, Woo back to Abbotsford as well as PDG, I think the math works or pretty close. Might need to do a deal that includes someone like Chicago, give them a later round pick to eat another part of the contract and get Tanev down to 1.125.

Canucks should just get this done, its good for the room and then we can re sign him and let Myers go, trade garland and milky and hopefully zads sees he's not a top 4 d and just signs long term with us at a reasonable cap hit, we sign Cole at a lower cap for 2 - 3 years, looks like T Wally in Bean town is ready for AHL/NHL shot...

2nd + Hirose and Klimovich for Tanev Wirth retention is reasonable 

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

no that means you have 3.75mil sitting in the pressbox not playing so you are essentially icing a 80mil cap team on the ice

if you managed your cap poorly you wouldn't have that luxury, no?

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

Canucks should just get this done, its good for the room and then we can re sign him and let Myers go, trade garland and milky and hopefully zads sees he's not a top 4 d and just signs long term with us at a reasonable cap hit, we sign Cole at a lower cap for 2 - 3 years, looks like T Wally in Bean town is ready for AHL/NHL shot...

2nd + Hirose and Klimovich for Tanev Wirth retention is reasonable 

No thanks

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Someone probs pays up the 1st and he ends up elsewhere, which is fine

Tanev is a player that increases the odds for winning playoff games.  He's worth a 1st for a contender

that needs a RD of Chris' stature. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Well to be honest, it's not up to the players. Certainly understand their feelings though. 

One thing to keep in mind is that we for surly are going for it this year, of that there is no doubt. 

No reason to think the team won't be very good next year as well. / I'm not for it because I remember

the constant injury problems and the fact he played through them which just made it worse.

I suppose there's a vote somewhere on this board about it, my feeling is; It would have to be damn cheap

and nothing more then a two year deal.

Not saying Tanev is not a good player, but just remember, the last time a couple star Canucks vouched for a player and wanted him here turned out to be the Sedins with OEL.  No need for me to reiterate how poorly that turned out, and how that ironically is what is primarily holding us back now (cap space).

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Tanev is a player that increases the odds for winning playoff games.  He's worth a 1st for a contender

that needs a RD of Chris' stature. 

That, and he's probably the most interesting D on the trade market if there are 10+ teams interested 

4 hours ago, tas said:

brad treliving is smart enough to know that the leafs aren't a chris tanev away from a cup. he wants him, but he'd be far smarter to try to sign him in the offseason than trade a 1st for him when the leafs have shown nothing this year to indicate they're legit contenders. 

the canucks, on the other hand ...

I wouldn't call Treliving all that smart considering this offseason he spent acquiring the exact opposite of what the Leafs needed and shocker they're significantly worse now. Redundant pieces and another offense only dman. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• RWJC changed the title to [Speculation] Current asking price for CGY’s Chris Tanev
1 hour ago, tas said:

if you managed your cap poorly you wouldn't have that luxury, no?

no I consider that handicapping yourself. Like example you could have had a 3.75 mil player on the ice that’s actually helping you instead of having a 3.75mil player in the press box that may or may not ever get in the lineup. Like sure sometimes you might have an 800k player out performing a 3mil player. But we are talking about having 7 players at 3mil plus  when u can only dress 6. So you are always only ulitizing 96% of the cap on the ice on any given night regardless of who you rotate in and out. That’s handicapping yourself and poor cap management 

If Tanev wants to come back I think we'd all love him back in the off season. Getting all sentimental and splashing out assets for Tanev right now would be a mistake. We need a playmaking winger. 

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

no I consider that handicapping yourself. Like example you could have had a 3.75 mil player on the ice that’s actually helping you instead of having a 3.75mil player in the press box that may or may not ever get in the lineup. Like sure sometimes you might have an 800k player out performing a 3mil player. But we are talking about having 7 players at 3mil plus  when u can only dress 6. So you are always only ulitizing 96% of the cap on the ice on any given night regardless of who you rotate in and out. That’s handicapping yourself and poor cap management 

building a team isn't just putting together as many bang for the buck contracts as you can. 

if you can afford to have a $4 mil player in the pressbox without it hurting your team, it's because you've managed the cap well. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

building a team isn't just putting together as many bang for the buck contracts as you can. 

if you can afford to have a $4 mil player in the pressbox without it hurting your team, it's because you've managed the cap well. 

4m in the pressbox isn't helping your team. If you have 4m spectating youve managed the cap poorly. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, TopChed said:

4m in the pressbox isn't helping your team. If you have 4m spectating youve managed the cap poorly. 

i disagree in that perhaps you’re not factoring player performance. A Stanley cup aspiring club will be rostering the best cohesive group of performers at a given time. If that means benching a Kuzmenko to roster Aman, you do it. You have to. It’s how you define expectation and extract buy in on the whole. 

the game ebbs and flows. 

You pay  a player 4 mill because of what you expect them to perform at, not to mention that they agree they will accept a responsibility at that price point to deliver, regardless of coaching styles or changes. It’s business but its always a gamble. 

it’s not always GM/cap mismanagement when a player fails to play up to their contractual obligation. 

Edited by RWJC

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

i disagree in that perhaps you’re not factoring player performance. A Stanley cup aspiring club will be rostering the best cohesive group of performers at a given time. If that means benching a Kuzmenko to roster Aman, you do it. You have to. It’s how you define expectation and extract buy in on the whole. 

the game ebbs and flows. 

You pay  a player 4 mill because of what you expect them to perform at, not to mention that they agree they will accept a responsibility at that price point to deliver, regardless of coaching styles or changes. It’s business but its always a gamble. 

it’s not always GM/cap mismanagement when a player fails to play up to their contractual obligation. 

Sure but adding Tanev so you can plunk 1 of Zad, Cole Soucy in the bleachers would be GM's cap mismanagment. 

11 minutes ago, RWJC said:

the game ebbs and flows. 

Like I said things like that happens.. where a lesser paid player outperform higher paid players.. that’s fine.. but when you are purposely having for example 7 3mil plus defenceman on the team with 1 guaranteed to sit in the press box not for performance related that’s poor cap management.. that 3mil could have been used to upgrade elsewhere. Being overpaid and underperforming is not the same as purposely burying cap in the press box 

if you are going to play aman over kuzmenko in the playoff and kuzmenko is not traded before the TDL even as a cap dump? That’s mismanagement right there.. 5.5mil could have been used to upgrade defence forward or wherever. If there was no intention to play the guy other than possible injury or a game sporadically 

Edited by wai_lai416