[Speculation] Current asking price for CGY’s Chris Tanev

1 hour ago, Provost said:

No, if you can ice a winning team and still have the depth to have a legit NHLer in the press box for a while at the end of the season and injury insurance and available to you in the playoffs when there is no cap… that is excellent cap management.

We generally go through 13 defencemen in a season due to injuries and call ups.  Saying having a guy in the press box who can step up isn’t helping your team is just plain wrong.  It could be the difference between going deep in the playoffs and being sent golfing after the first round.

Agree for the most part, but there is the challenge of the cap next year and balancing the loss of prospects and picks to get that insurance piece.  It would be an "all in move" but it would also shorten the window perhaps, or at least subtract from the future.

8 hours ago, TopChed said:

Sure but adding Tanev so you can plunk 1 of Zad, Cole Soucy in the bleachers would be GM's cap mismanagment. 

Unless one of our D go down, in which case we have a capable pros to step in. Injuries are bound to happen in the playoffs...

I will say tho I agree with your earlier post as much as I'm all for a Tanev reunion I'd rather not sacrifice assets at this point and if he wants to come back sign him in the offseason. 

Love Tanny and what he brings to the table. I think it'll be too expensive for us.

Whatever the current asking price is... it is a pipe dream by Calgary. Fortunately for them, other teams will bite.

5 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Adding Tanev would benefit in some areas, but would reduce the team toughness factor.

yeah, no. 

he is the toughest guy in the friggin' league. 

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

But more importantly, Juulsen deserves to be on the team.....his improvement this year has been excellent.  Is Tanev better than Juulsen?  Yes.  But he's not a liability and his performance per salary hit is perfect for the club right now. 

I don't know if "not a liability" is good enough for a team that wants to win a cup. I like juulsen a lot but I don't think my heart could handle him in game 7 ot. 

chris tanev was baptized in the stanley cup finals. 

12 hours ago, TopChed said:

Sure if there wasn't a cap that would be great. But wouldn't it be better to have another 4m FWD on the ice? Instead of a 4m d in the stands? 

No. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

No.  Myers has actually been good this season and can step up when we're down a guy or two in a game.  We'll need his size in the playoffs too.  I've never liked his contract, but this season has shown that with appropriate coaching and systems, he can still be quite effective.

He/it sure has (and I'd add appropriate partners), which means he's actually movable.

We have enough size, with Zadorov, Soucy, Juulsen, Cole etc. And neither Tanev or Hronek are small wilting flowers either.

Tanev is a better D man that can do more than just occasionally "step up", and would also free up cap to add Tanev +.

Tanev + Bjugstad, or Tanev + Lyubushkin is >>>>>>> Myers.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

No.  Myers has actually been good this season and can step up when we're down a guy or two in a game.  We'll need his size in the playoffs too.  I've never liked his contract, but this season has shown that with appropriate coaching and systems, he can still be quite effective.

Myers isn't indispensable. If he can be moved during the season, the Canucks will move him. That's money off the books that can be allocated to signings that need to happen in the off-season.  

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Smelly Cowpies have the playoff itch. They are going to lose Tanev and Hanifin for nothing. Damn that city smells. It’s almost as bad as Edmonton. 

It's a bit like wet cowpie vs a dryer cowpie. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's a bit like wet cowpie vs a dryer cowpie. 

Two Alberta convoy truckers are walking through a pasture and come across what they suspect could be a cowpie, but they’re not certain. So they each give it a good sniff; they each give it a good feel; and they each taste it. Then they carefully step over it and proclaim: “good thing we didn’t step in that!” 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Two Alberta convoy truckers are walking through a pasture and come across what they suspect could be a cowpie, but they’re not certain. So they each give it a good sniff; they each give it a good feel; and they each taste it. Then they carefully step over it and proclaim: “good thing we didn’t step in that!” 

Naw, what they really said was "i'll fight you for it"

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, tas said:

yeah, no. 

he is the toughest guy in the friggin' league. 

Tanev takes a ton of physical abuse, and will happily put his body in harms way. But I think @NHL97OneTimer was referring more to intimidation factor type toughness. Removing Myers or Soucy would definitely do that. We saw last time all of our defensemen were healthy and in the lineup that teams were a lot more hesitant on their zone entries.

• Cheers 1

I'm good with not trading any more futures this year. We've already traded our 1st, 2nd, 5th, and one of our 3rd/4th rounders this year plus one of our more promising prospects.

As much as I want to win the cup, no number of trades will guarantee that. I don't want to see this team fall short and become a one and done team because we traded all of our futures for rentals. We've already made two major acquisitions in Zadorov and Lindholm (plus DeSmith if you want to go back that far), and Juulsen and Friedman have shown to be capable depth.

With the number of assets we've already parted with I think Tanev costs too much and doesn't make sense. If we can pick up a super cheap upgrade on Friedman for our 8th defenseman then great, but otherwise I think we should just stand pat and see what this team is capable of.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Honestly, I think I'd rather have Juulsen at league minimum. Than give up assets for Tanev, plus Tanevs cap hit and injury history.

I'm not saying Juulsen is better than Tanev, but when you consider the other factors like money, trading assets etc Juulsen is a very solid stay at home defensive option.

I just don't think we need Tanev anymore

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

Honestly, I think I'd rather have Juulsen at league minimum. Than give up assets for Tanev, plus Tanevs cap hit and injury history.

I'm not saying Juulsen is better than Tanev, but when you consider the other factors like money, trading assets etc Juulsen is a very solid stay at home defensive option.

I just don't think we need Tanev anymore

If we could have Myers and Tanev for a discount signing next summer Would you prefer having them both or Zadorov?

I feel like there is a world where next season we could have:

Hughes-Hronek/Tanev

Soucy-Tanev/Hronek/Myers

Cole-Myers/Tanev

Juulsen

I could see Cole signing another one year reasonable deal.

And this is still a super solid back end and gives our d prospects time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

If we could have Myers and Tanev for a discount signing next summer Would you prefer having them both or Zadorov?

I feel like there is a world where next season we could have:

Hughes-Hronek/Tanev

Soucy-Tanev/Hronek/Myers

Cole-Myers/Tanev

Juulsen

I could see Cole signing another one year reasonable deal.

And this is still a super solid back end and gives our d prospects time.

Hmm tough one.

I'd be keen on signing Tanev to a 2yr deal if it's really reasonable.

Myers for sure would stay for a pay cut.

That leaves Big Z... I'm actually wondering if he is worth the money he's going to want. Originally I thought for sure he is in line foe a raise, but I haven't been overly impressed with his defensive abilities.

The nice thing is we get to see how everyone performs in the playoffs before deciding who is worth what.

But at this point I wouldn't trade for Tanev. Just wait until he's UFA 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Hmm tough one.

I'd be keen on signing Tanev to a 2yr deal if it's really reasonable.

Myers for sure would stay for a pay cut.

That leaves Big Z... I'm actually wondering if he is worth the money he's going to want. Originally I thought for sure he is in line foe a raise, but I haven't been overly impressed with his defensive abilities.

The nice thing is we get to see how everyone performs in the playoffs before deciding who is worth what.

But at this point I wouldn't trade for Tanev. Just wait until he's UFA 

This is where I am at too.

I kinda feel Cole-Juulsen a better pairing than Zaddy-Cole with Soucy healthy with Myers.

But we will see what happens in the playoffs. If Z a horse / staple / monster in playoffs and he gets away with being allowed to play physical by the refs more then it could change my opinion completely so I am with ya on waiting.

And not being keen on giving up assets for tanev. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Tanev for a 2nd imho is a no-brainer.

We are very lucky thus far to have escaped significant injuries (barring Soucy) on the backend and should we encounter that, the balance of this club will be upended. Tanev is a good purchase if rumoured asking price is true. His addition would provide even more stability and balance to a cup contending club. We need that quality of depth, not just pin hopes on some AHL call ups to weather the storm short or longterm. People should remember where this club has been the last few seasons to where we are now. So much talk of tear down and rebuild in the past to get to exactly where we are now. Jump on the chance and load up (within reason) for this season and next because parity can change rapidly in the NHL these days…we are testament to that. 
we have the youthful core, we have some stud prospects in the pipeline. We can afford to drop a second and marginal prospect for a guy who is greatly respected/familiar and will bleed for this team in leading it.

I wouldn’t underestimate the impact a “glue” guy can have in a room when chasing the cup. He is the prototype of player that helps you win one. Character through and through. 

we also have a chance to secure a guy who excels in his role and is invaluable to coaching when it comes to player matchups in playoff time. Tanev has a pretty solid book on the rest of the league and respected for his style of game.  I’d argue we still dont currently have a Dman as capable as he is defensively. He’s a solid add for the right price. 

Edited by RWJC