[Speculation] Current asking price for CGY’s Chris Tanev

Everything I've read says that Calgary is holding firm on their ask of a 1st for Tanev. The Canucks don't have a 1st to give them.

Somewhat complicating things is the fact that the Flames are just three points back in the Wild Card race. It could be that Conroy decides to go for it, unless he gets an offer he can't refuse.

One name I saw in a Hockey Writers article as a depth add on defense is Erik Johnson. EJ has a ton of experience and could probably be had for a 4th or 5th rounder.

We also need to remember that we'll be getting Soucy back in a month or so, and I'd be careful about messing with the current top six, especially considering how well Juulsen has been playing. He was an absolute horse last night. In fact, his play this season kind of reminds me of the play of Chris Tanev when he first got the call-up for Vancouver.

EDIT: To clarify, after last night's games, the Flames are 5 points back in the WC.

Edited by RupertKBD

On 2/13/2024 at 8:31 AM, wai_lai416 said:

If zadorov is your 7/8th D that’s really poor cap management that’s like 3.75mil sitting in the press box unless soucy is gone till playoff and we can utilize his cap

It's about depth.   Personally don't see the need to acquire Tanev unless something bad happens to our D-core between now and the time he's off the market. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's about depth.   Personally don't see the need to acquire Tanev unless something bad happens to our D-core between now and the time he's off the market. 

I understand it’s depth and no team ices 83.5 mil of cap on the ice because of extra players in the press box etc. but if you have 3.75mil sitting in the press box instead of upgrading on a player that’s actually on the ice every night that’s bad cap management. Unless you are telling me 3.75mil is not better off say upgrade on let just say aman pdg and bumping people down a slot is not better? Depth players that ain’t gonna play every night shouldn’t be costing more than 850k unless you have players that’s going to sit in ltir until the playoff where cap doesn’t count then by all means go crazy on paying big cap on depth player 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I understand it’s depth and no team ices 83.5 mil of cap on the ice because of extra players in the press box etc. but if you have 3.75mil sitting in the press box instead of upgrading on a player that’s actually on the ice every night that’s bad cap management. Unless you are telling me 3.75mil is not better off say upgrade on let just say aman pdg and bumping people down a slot is not better? Depth players that ain’t gonna play every night shouldn’t be costing more than 850k unless you have players that’s going to sit in ltir until the playoff where cap doesn’t count then by all means go crazy on paying big cap on depth player 

All I said was, unless Myers is willing to take a Schenn (league MIN) or a Benn like deal, then don't see the point in re-signing him given the emergence of Juulsen.   Also don't see the point of signing Tanev just to put Zadarov in the box either, unless someone's out.   Soucy maybe ends up on the Kucherov train.   Hard to say.  Doubt it.     If he is, that 3ish million, i'd rather use to upgrade our middle six center depth, or acquiring a bruising winger vet.     Aman is the player we need to push out, and i'm not high on Kessel's actual usefulness other then in the room.  

Teams also has two 7th D's in Abby.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

They don't need to do anything.  Not right now anyway.  

Other teams don't push the Canucks around anymore and the Canucks are doing a fantastic job of owning the dangerous zones.  The D don't panic and they move the puck well.  We should be appreciative of what we have in front of us now.....it's been a rarity in my 35-40 years watching this team.  Canucks are #1, Calgary is not.  Tanev is fantastic but don't mess with the culture, especially with impatient, poorly thought out panic moves like trading away a top prospect.  Podz is way too young to write off.

Like I've said before, 

Listen to spittin chiclets with Brock boeser. Him and Hughes both love tequila Tanev. He would be a huge moral boost and would add to the chemistry not mess with it.

8 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Like I've said before, 

Listen to spittin chiclets with Brock boeser. Him and Hughes both love tequila Tanev. He would be a huge moral boost and would add to the chemistry not mess with it.

The only way we should consider this, is trading Myers.   Not sure what the net gain of that would be.    Myers 50% retained, cost to acquire Tanev... Last playoffs, Myers was one of our best D's before St. Louis took him out, and an 80% Myers was one of the few guys that could handle Vegas.    Tanev couldn't.  Stetcher and QHs certainly couldn't either.   Edler was exposed because of his skating.  

Edit:  Doesn't it make more sense, to maybe try for him for free next off-season?    Myers might be chaotic.   This year he's played a lot better, no longer has to play against the leagues best regularly.      Wonder what the over under on Tanev playing more then two series would he anyways, or even getting to the playoffs unscathed.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The only way we should consider this, is trading Myers.   Not sure what the net gain of that would be.    Myers 50% retained, cost to acquire Tanev... Last playoffs, Myers was one of our best D's before St. Louis took him out, and an 80% Myers was one of the few guys that could handle Vegas.    Tanev couldn't.  Stetcher and QHs certainly couldn't either.   Edler was exposed because of his skating.  

Edit:  Doesn't it make more sense, to maybe try for him for free next off-season?    Myers might be chaotic.   This year he's played a lot better, no longer has to play against the leagues best regularly.      Wonder what the over under on Tanev playing more then two series would he anyways, or even getting to the playoffs unscathed.   

With our present roster & status in standings, Tocchet could use 'game management' to mitigate that risk (unlike a team looking to gain ground to a playoff spot who'd likely overplay Tanev).  

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I doubt management will make another move like tanev just for “depth” I actually don’t think we’ll make anymore trades tbh.. it’s only the fans here that’s so desperate for a cup. The moment we are starting to look good they are willing to sacrifice all of the future and go all in. Well not all but basically they are willing to trade the entire farm minus willander and lekkerimaki for a cup run that may or may not happen. We saw devils last year near the top of the league went all in at the TDL got 1 round out of it and now fighting for their lives just to make the playoff. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

I doubt management will make another move like tanev just for “depth” I actually don’t think we’ll make anymore trades tbh.. it’s only the fans here that’s so desperate for a cup. The moment we are starting to look good they are willing to sacrifice all of the future and go all in. Well not all but basically they are willing to trade the entire farm minus willander and lekkerimaki for a cup run that may or may not happen. We saw devils last year near the top of the league went all in at the TDL got 1 round out of it and now fighting for their lives just to make the playoff. 

Did they really mortgage their future?   Don't see it that way.   Same way we haven't really either.    A first round exit would sting this year.    I'm not on the Tanev train either.   Only way that makes any sense at all, is if Myers goes down or Hronek or Juulsen even. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Did they really mortgage their future?   Don't see it that way.   Same way we haven't really either.    A first round exit would sting this year.    I'm not on the Tanev train either.   Only way that makes any sense at all, is if Myers goes down or Hronek or Juulsen even. 

They traded a shit ton of trade asset for meiers and then double down on it by signing him to a massive contract.. he might turn it around next year but it’s looking as bad as huberdeau right now with his production. Devils could afford it coz they have so much asset.. but it was still a bad move that didn’t help them at all. Those asset could have helped them secure a goalie 

1 hour ago, Mac said:

is that you benning?

Lol no Benning let him walk for free

The depth is so important for playoffs. One more Injury and Friedman is in our rotation again, or Jett Woo.

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Tanev

Zadorov Myers 

Cole/Juulsen

Or 

Hughes Tanev

Soucy Hronek

Zadorov Myers

Cole/Juulsen

You know we will most likely never be fully healthy on D, especially during a deep (hopefully) cup run 

Totally worth mortgaging the future, we have the management team to recoup assets down the road

Edited by Breadnbutta

50 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Lol no Benning let him walk for free

The depth is so important for playoffs. One more Injury and Friedman is in our rotation again, or Jett Woo.

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Tanev

Zadorov Myers 

Cole/Juulsen

Or 

Hughes Tanev

Soucy Hronek

Zadorov Myers

Cole/Juulsen

You know we will most likely never be fully healthy on D, especially during a deep (hopefully) cup run 

Totally worth mortgaging the future, we have the management team to recoup assets down the road

I agree we need depth on D.

I just think the offer suggested is way too much.

16 minutes ago, Mac said:

I agree we need depth on D.

I just think the offer suggested is way too much.

We can all agree depth is a good thing, but if we lose any current 2 Dmen to injury, which is very much a possibility before or during playoffs, the depth we need to keep rolling isn’t our Abby call ups. Those should be  last option unless we are anticipating rostering any of them as NHL regulars next season.

What we need is one more NHL Dman that can play up into the top 4 without issues if needed and that also provides a very sound defensive game. Who else is out there right now that would be relatively affordable and can be effective having to play increased, responsible minutes? I’m not sure that for the overall contribution, there is anyone better suited for us than Tanev. I’d argue he is one the best choices.

if we lose Cole and Myers to injury, and with Soucy proving unreliable health wise so far, it would be very difficult to absorb those losses while also placing a lot of expectation on Abby black aces to perform in an RT system they aren’t exactly experienced enough with yet.

We would have to split Huggy and Hronek which then afford the opposition easier shutdown matchups while also potentially wearing out our #1/2 D pairing who will likely be having to play increased mins.

we need one more NHL caliber Dman. And in particular not one currently playing 3rd line mins or less on any out of contention NHL club. That’s not necessarily an improvement, it’s a risky stop gap unless it’s an expiring contract - and that’s exactly what we should be targeting so that we can still add to the club this year at minimum cost of acquisition while also providing major flexibility come off season for any of our numerous extensions.  
we are in a great position right now in terms of how this club can keep moving forward. A guy like Tanev is an ideal fit for our inertia. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Id be fine with burning our 2025 1st for this.

For Andersson? Sure, that's an entirely different conversation than burning it for Tanev. 

I doubt Andersson is available though, he may be down the line if the Flames don't think they can retain him but they've got two or so seasons to get that sorted before it's a real concern. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

For Andersson? Sure, that's an entirely different conversation than burning it for Tanev. 

I doubt Andersson is available though, he may be down the line if the Flames don't think they can retain him but they've got two or so seasons to get that sorted before it's a real concern. 

2025 1st, Podz, Woo get it done? 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

2025 1st, Podz, Woo get it done? 

I don't think so, but I don't view Podz and Woo as having a ton of NHL trade value, Podz is having a good year in the AHL bit hasn't shown much at the NHL level yet

Calgary also wants to retool as opposed to rebuild, retaining Andersson helps them compete 

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

All I said was, unless Myers is willing to take a Schenn (league MIN) or a Benn like deal, then don't see the point in re-signing him given the emergence of Juulsen.   Also don't see the point of signing Tanev just to put Zadarov in the box either, unless someone's out.   Soucy maybe ends up on the Kucherov train.   Hard to say.  Doubt it.     If he is, that 3ish million, i'd rather use to upgrade our middle six center depth, or acquiring a bruising winger vet.     Aman is the player we need to push out, and i'm not high on Kessel's actual usefulness other then in the room.  

Teams also has two 7th D's in Abby.  

It is very stupid to talk about Zadorov in press box.

I'd rather have tanev than andersson. andersson is a better player in many ways and obviously younger, but he isn't what this team needs and they don't really have the minutes to give him. 

tanev fits the the canucks' needs better than any other player in the league. 

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't view Podz and Woo as having a ton of NHL trade value, Podz is having a good year in the AHL bit hasn't shown much at the NHL level yet

podkolzin would definitely still have late first rounder value, maaaaybe 2nd rounder if it's a particularly deep draft. he hasn't hurt his stock really at all imo. 

Edited by tas

2 minutes ago, tas said:

podkolzin would definitely still have late first rounder value, maaaaybe 2nd rounder if it's a particularly deep draft. he hasn't hurt his stock really at all imo. 

I could see 2nd, maybe 1st, I just don't personally value him as much at this point

I peg him as more likely to be a third liner or middle six tweener than a legit top 6 guy at this point if he finds a permanent NHL home, though I'd love to be wrong

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I could see 2nd, maybe 1st, I just don't personally value him as much at this point

I peg him as more likely to be a third liner or middle six tweener than a legit top 6 guy at this point if he finds a permanent NHL home, though I'd love to be wrong

what's wrong with that? a responsible, physical, absolute unit of a goalscorer who elevates in big games in your middle 6 is a hell of a nice thing to have.