[Speculation] Current asking price for CGY’s Chris Tanev

7 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Agreed. Especially at Tanev's age, being a UFA, and for only 27 games, left in this season. 

Not recommended, at all. Pass. 

Either free agent next summer, or at a highly reduced price this year. 

No top prospects. 

Agreed about the prospects.

What is highly reduced to you?

If he’s traded at 50% retention what is a fair return for that? 

Soucy is LTIR bound. Seems like an inevitable move for GMPA given we want some cap wiggle room to work with:

Injury Updates: Soucy, Sanderson, Zub, Chinakhov

February 16th, 2024 at 9:00pm CST • By Brian La Rose

Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet provided an update on Carson Soucy, telling reporters (video link) that the blueliner is currently listed as week-to-week.  The 29-year-old has missed close to a month with a hand injury sustained while blocking a shot.  In his first season with the Canucks after signing a three-year, $9.75MM deal with them back in July, Soucy has six points and 39 blocked shots in 21 games while logging a career-high 17:25 per night.  As things stand, the Canucks don’t have enough cap space to call anyone up from the minors so if someone else has to be promoted, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Soucy transferred to LTIR retroactively.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/02/injury-updates-soucy-sanderson-zub-chinakhov.html#ref=home

Some great arguments for not trying to get Tanev.  What is wrong with our team right now?  We are winning.  Sure a few guys are hurt and out of the lineup but that happens to all teams.  We got some great talent in Abbotsford.  Let's give them a chance if required.  We do need to support DeSmith and give Demenko some rest or else he will be burnt out come playoffs.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Comox Blaster said:

Some great arguments for not trying to get Tanev.  What is wrong with our team right now?  We are winning.  Sure a few guys are hurt and out of the lineup but that happens to all teams.  We got some great talent in Abbotsford.  Let's give them a chance if required.  We do need to support DeSmith and give Demenko some rest or else he will be burnt out come playoffs.

Agreed, hoping we stay away from Tanev. Flames are going to get a haul for him, let some other team empty the farm.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Mando27 said:

Agreed, hoping we stay away from Tanev. Flames are going to get a haul for him, let some other team empty the farm.

And then sign him in the off-season for free without giving up any assets other than money, assuming GMPA can make it work capwise. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 1:59 AM, Barn Burner said:

No. Podz is only 22. Tanev, as much as it would be nice addition, and who is a UFA, plus, there's only 27 games left in the season. 

Hell no. That's ridiculous. 

If it was for only 27 games that would mean we re not in the playoff picture, and we would not even have this discussion. 

I want Tanev, but not for Podz, Raty.

Woo, Karlsson, Hirose could be balanced assets, one of them and 2nd 2025 for Tanev is my proposal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/18/2024 at 12:38 PM, DexM94 said:

If it was for only 27 games that would mean we re not in the playoff picture, and we would not even have this discussion. 

I want Tanev, but not for Podz, Raty.

Woo, Karlsson, Hirose could be balanced assets, one of them and 2nd 2025 for Tanev is my proposal.

Raty isn’t on my no-go list, but otherwise I think you are spot on.

All the other players are replaceable.  We can sign a guy from Europe, an undrafted college guy, or an RFA that doesn’t get qualified and get some for that contract spot of similar quality and upside.

Being “half all-in” at this point seems dumb.  We have spent the serious assets for a run, don’t get panicked for middling assets.

• Vintage 1

Boy would Tanev be an easy fix for this team right now and a calming presence. If we're struggling with this adversity, how are we going to deal with the pressure of the playoffs? Tanev would really calm things down on the back end and on the PK. Hughes and Hronek look a bit rattled and the slower old guys Myers and Cole have been beaten quite easily of late too. Not to say the same won't happen to Tanev, but it'd help to keep Juulsen and Friedman off the roster.

I keep seeing people talk about how Dad would provide a calming, veteran presence, but from my perspective that is exactly what Coler is doing. I would also like to point out that much as I like Dad, Coler has more Cups than he does. We literally have guys like Zads, Coler and Myers who have playoff experience so the excuse of immaturity is lost on me. 

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Boy would Tanev be an easy fix for this team right now and a calming presence. If we're struggling with this adversity, how are we going to deal with the pressure of the playoffs? Tanev would really calm things down on the back end and on the PK. Hughes and Hronek look a bit rattled and the slower old guys Myers and Cole have been beaten quite easily of late too. Not to say the same won't happen to Tanev, but it'd help to keep Juulsen and Friedman off the roster.

At the same time, 3 Game losing streak? The price for us just went up....

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This isn’t really adversity, teams don’t win every game.  We have lost a handful in regulation all season.  We are still over .500 in the last ten games, and if you can do that while going through a lull/down patch… that bodes well for the team.

It would be great to add Tanev, but we also miss Joshua a lot more than I thought would be the case.  Getting an extra guy like that, Greenway or someone else would help solidify the four line depth we were having success with.

Nothing to panic about though.  The team is still fine.

• Like 1

I have mixed feeling regarding Tanev back in VAN. Say it was the 2025 1st, Mikheyev and Friedman 

+  It would be great to reunite him and Hughes, and Tanev would bring in some veteran leadership. He was a rookie when the Canucks went to the Cup Finals against BOS. 

Hughes - Tanev

Cole - Hronek

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

-  I really don't want to give CGY more picks and prospects/good players, helping them to rebuild. 

1st (2024) for lindholm

1st (2025) for tanev

4th (2024) for lindholm

(rd) brzustewicz

(ld) jurmo

(lw/rw) kuzmenko

34 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I have mixed feeling regarding Tanev back in VAN. Say it was the 2025 1st, Mikheyev and Friedman 

+  It would be great to reunite him and Hughes, and Tanev would bring in some veteran leadership. He was a rookie when the Canucks went to the Cup Finals against BOS. 

Hughes - Tanev

Cole - Hronek

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

-  I really don't want to give CGY more picks and prospects/good players, helping them to rebuild. 

1st (2024) for lindholm

1st (2025) for tanev

4th (2024) for lindholm

(rd) brzustewicz

(ld) jurmo

(lw/rw) kuzmenko

Yeah, no thanks. hard pass. I'd rather trust the pro scouting to find someone else who can help defensively that wouldn't cost the team yet another 1st to a divisional rival. With the way that we're playing recently, I'm not convinced that we can get through some of the bigger and tougher postseason teams (Vegas, for example). We can't even get a win against those teams in the regular season - that has to be some sort of psychological barrier when it comes to the playoffs. So no, hard hard pass on giving a divisional rival another first round pick. There's no gaurantee that we'd be as good next year too. That 2025 pick could be much higher than the one we gave away in 2024. Stronger draft is the 2025 class isn't it? Compared to the 2024 Draft Class? 

I can also see Kuz resigning in Calgary, and he's younger than Lindholm. I really hope we don't lose Lindholm for absolutely nothing. But the way that the team has regressed the last few games, I can see him walking into UFA with half the roster this summer looking for bigger paychecks. Allvin has his work cut out for him this summer. 

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Upvote 1

On 2/19/2024 at 5:32 PM, Provost said:

Raty isn’t on my no-go list, but otherwise I think you are spot on.

All the other players are replaceable.  We can sign a guy from Europe, an undrafted college guy, or an RFA that doesn’t get qualified and get some for that contract spot of similar quality and upside.

Being “half all-in” at this point seems dumb.  We have spent the serious assets for a run, don’t get panicked for middling assets.

Who says the team is "half all-in"? It's clear that Allvin and Rutherford are all in this season. Next season be damned. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Who says the team is "half all-in"? It's clear that Allvin and Rutherford are all in this season. Next season be damned. 

Why do you say “next season be damned”? Mgmt is actually setting the club up very well in terms of flexibility regarding any extensions and/or trade or free agent acquisitions and roster turnover.  I’d argue they are going all in for this and next season at minimum, which is exactly what they should be doing. We’ve still retained the majority of our best prospects, and it’s not like we can’t also acquire picks should it be necessitated.

You can’t have it equally both ways…either you step up and make a push at an appropriate time, or you bide time and assemble until then. 
We are there. Our record speaks for itself and the cupboard is also adequately stocked and being replenished further as we move forward. Already very well positioned for next season imho 

Edited by RWJC

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

If you actually read the thread and what is was responding to, it was about someone saying the team shouldn’t spend more assets at this point like a 2nd and a middling prospect for Tanev as the example.

No reason to not make other moves if they can help the team this year.  Stopping now for the sake of some lower value futures would be “half all in” and dumb.

13 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I agree. I think he could have the same calming presence that Dan Hamhuis used to have on the Canucks defensively. I like Cole and Juulsen but if we could have those 2 as our 7 & 8 d-men, this team would be insanely deep and set up nicely for a long playoff run.

Hughes-Hronek/Tanev

Soucy-Tanev/Hronek

Zadorov-Myers

Cole-Juulsen

1 hour ago, Provost said:

If you actually read the thread and what is was responding to, it was about someone saying the team shouldn’t spend more assets at this point like a 2nd and a middling prospect for Tanev as the example.

No reason to not make other moves if they can help the team this year.  Stopping now for the sake of some lower value futures would be “half all in” and dumb.

I knew the thread was about Tanev, but I was responding to your comment on half all-in. The way management has been making moves (well, the only major move, really so far for Lindholm) indicates that they're going all-in this season, and well, next season, kinda figure it out later kind of thing. I just don't know if the team should be giving up a 2025 1st to a divisional rival in Calgary for an aging defenseman in Tanev, when we can get him for free in the off-season. 

1 hour ago, zduck14 said:

I agree. I think he could have the same calming presence that Dan Hamhuis used to have on the Canucks defensively. I like Cole and Juulsen but if we could have those 2 as our 7 & 8 d-men, this team would be insanely deep and set up nicely for a long playoff run.

Hughes-Hronek/Tanev

Soucy-Tanev/Hronek

Zadorov-Myers

Cole-Juulsen

Are you willing to give up a 2025 1st for Tanev? Because that's probably what it'll take to pry him away from Calgary to Van. 

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

Why do you say “next season be damned”? Mgmt is actually setting the club up very well in terms of flexibility regarding any extensions and/or trade or free agent acquisitions and roster turnover.  I’d argue they are going all in for this and next season at minimum, which is exactly what they should be doing. We’ve still retained the majority of our best prospects, and it’s not like we can’t also acquire picks should it be necessitated.

You can’t have it equally both ways…either you step up and make a push at an appropriate time, or you bide time and assemble until then. 
We are there. Our record speaks for itself and the cupboard is also adequately stocked and being replenished further as we move forward. Already very well positioned for next season imho 

Yeah, we have some picks from 2023, but we barely have any picks for 2024. Our next first rounder is coming until next year's draft, unless we decide to trade that one as well. This team is capped out isn't it? It's going to be tough to build up what this team is probably going to lose moving into the off-season. So many moves need to be made, I sure hope that Allvin can make them this summer. 

I guess we'll see if we're well positioned for next season. I'd like to hope so, but I'm not sure if we really are. 

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Are you willing to give up a 2025 1st for Tanev? Because that's probably what it'll take to pry him away from Calgary to Van. 

I think it can be done with a 2nd and a prospect like Raty. Knowing that an extension is quite likely with Tanev makes that worth it in my opinion. 

I also don't hate the idea of trading the '25 1st but I feel like that should be used for a younger player. Not sure who but someone around 24 or 25 years old instead.

• MillerTime 1

With Chris Tanev, the Flames continue to hold and see if a first-rounder (or something they consider comparable) becomes available. Dallas is very much into this, although some teams suspect they like Hanifin, too. Others: Edmonton, Toronto, Vancouver. Colorado’s been in and out, as have others.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-will-kyle-dubas-shake-up-the-pittsburgh-penguins/

Lightning are also linked to Hanifin, who is expected to be shipped to the US