[Proposal] If Petey refuses to re-sign...

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's an awfully big assumption that he'll re-sign a contract that'll make sense for both sides. Nothing he (or his agent) has said provides any indication of this. 

So, the way I look at this is, Agents get paid to negotiate the best deal possible.  Players need to communicate with their agent on what's most important to them. Squeezing every last dollar out of a contract or helping to create and be a part of the best opportunity to get your name on a cup. So, although I'm making some assumptions, I also look at thisvas character of a player. 

Most of the recent cup teams are constructed in a cap structure where their best players are often leaving money on the table in exchange for building a winning organization. If we look at the highest paid players in the game, McDavid, Matthew's etc, their teams struggle to find consistency because they lack the depth needed when schedules get compressed or when you're fighting for your life in a playoff series. Although its true tgat you win with your best players, if your best players are being overplayed because you lack depth, then everything falls apart.

Assuming that Pettersson does sign here, and I really believe that he will, to me, his next contract will broadcast what is really most important to him. He has said that he wants to be a part of a winning organization, which he now is although I don't think that he's playing all that well at the moment. Regardless of length of deal, if he pushes fir it to be over 12, then in my mind, that's not a cap hit that is conducive to creating a group that can sustain the level of play of a deep team and we should consider moving him.

Teams need to make better overall decisions on cap space allocation,  I don't think Toronto will ever win the cup with 4 guys making North of 11 million, they can't construct the valance needed.

Just my take on it, we'll see what happens when all the numbers fall into place.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, the way I look at this is, Agents get paid to negotiate the best deal possible.  Players need to communicate with their agent on what's most important to them. Squeezing every last dollar out of a contract or helping to create and be a part of the best opportunity to get your name on a cup. So, although I'm making some assumptions, I also look at thisvas character of a player. 

Most of the recent cup teams are constructed in a cap structure where their best players are often leaving money on the table in exchange for building a winning organization. If we look at the highest paid players in the game, McDavid, Matthew's etc, their teams struggle to find consistency because they lack the depth needed when schedules get compressed or when you're fighting for your life in a playoff series. Although its true tgat you win with your best players, if your best players are being overplayed because you lack depth, then everything falls apart.

Assuming that Pettersson does sign here, and I really believe that he will, to me, his next contract will broadcast what is really most important to him. He has said that he wants to be a part of a winning organization, which he now is although I don't think that he's playing all that well at the moment. Regardless of length of deal, if he pushes fir it to be over 12, then in my mind, that's not a cap hit that is conducive to creating a group that can sustain the level of play of a deep team and we should consider moving him.

Teams need to make better overall decisions on cap space allocation,  I don't think Toronto will ever win the cup with 4 guys making North of 11 million, they can't construct the valance needed.

Just my take on it, we'll see what happens when all the numbers fall into place.

Solid take, as always. 

I think $11M should be the max, personally. Then he's starting to encroach on Matthews, McDavid, and MacKinnon territory, and he's not as good or consistent as they are. 

I do have faith that Alvin is the man to construct the roster, and that he'll make the right decisions. He's already shown that he knows how multi-faceted a winning team needs to be. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Solid take, as always. 

I think $11M should be the max, personally. Then he's starting to encroach on Matthews, McDavid, and MacKinnon territory, and he's not as good or consistent as they are. 

I do have faith that Alvin is the man to construct the roster, and that he'll make the right decisions. He's already shown that he knows how multi-faceted a winning team needs to be. 

Completely agree with you...

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Why do we keep speculating on him not re-signing when he has already stated that he wants to be in Vancouver, but doesn't want the distraction of negotiating contract while the season is ongoing.

So, what do fans do? We constantly create distraction, empower the media to distract and ask him at every opportunity, "What's going on with contract negotiations...." when he has clearly said what he wants and intends to do.

If he did change his mind, I wouldn't blame him!

How would you feel if you publicly state that you don't want to negotiate something until the current season is over and then you get asked about it DAILY???

No no. He can't just duck. Him not wanting to sign ties the hands of what mgmt can do this DL to a degree. We have a chance to win it all this year. Pete is putting himself before the team of course it's a distraction. 

If MGMT have already put their best offer infront of Pete and he chose to hold out. Then it's probably time to start making moves under the assumption that he won't be here next year. 

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

No no. He can't just duck. Him not wanting to sign ties the hands of what mgmt can do this DL to a degree. We have a chance to win it all this year. Pete is putting himself before the team of course it's a distraction. 

If MGMT have already put their best offer infront of Pete and he chose to hold out. Then it's probably time to start making moves under the assumption that he won't be here next year. 

It's only a distraction if fans and media are making it a distraction. No one on the team or in management seem to care....

On 2/14/2024 at 4:16 PM, VegasCanuck said:

It's only a distraction if fans and media are making it a distraction. No one on the team or in management seem to care....

LOL they care. Don't be silly. It's absolutely a distraction and a big problem for MGMT at this deadline that could be hugely costly if we go deep and fall short. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 2/14/2024 at 1:54 PM, Hammertime said:

So every team that have a pending ufa/rfa is putting themselves before the team? Gimme a break. So how do you know the mgmt already put their best offer in front of EP? What is the best offer? Under 10? Did management come out and say we already offered the best offer it’s up to him to sign it or not? 

so what you are saying is EP refuse to sign he’s causing a distraction when we have a chance to win it all so therefore we need to get rid of him at the TDL this year so he’s no longer a distraction? 

so why is no one talking about hronek not re-signing yet? He’s in the same situation as EP. So why haven’t he signed yet? He’s causing a distraction by not signing. His contract is independent of EP.. or is management planning on giving more or less to hronek depending on what ep signs for? You think hronek agent is going to be like oh ep signed for more I’ll take less than?

• MillerTime 1

45 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

So every team that have a pending ufa/rfa is putting themselves before the team? Gimme a break. So how do you know the mgmt already put their best offer in front of EP? What is the best offer? Under 10? Did management come out and say we already offered the best offer it’s up to him to sign it or not? 

so what you are saying is EP refuse to sign he’s causing a distraction when we have a chance to win it all so therefore we need to get rid of him at the TDL this year so he’s no longer a distraction? 

so why is no one talking about hronek not re-signing yet? He’s in the same situation as EP. So why haven’t he signed yet? He’s causing a distraction by not signing. His contract is independent of EP.. or is management planning on giving more or less to hronek depending on what ep signs for? You think hronek agent is going to be like oh ep signed for more I’ll take less than?

Don't be ridiculous. You don't trade Pete until the offseason after the playoffs if that's the route we have to go. 

I'm saying what they do at the deadline will depend on how contract negotiations are going with Pete. If Pete is not going to be re-signed by us then MGMT can make different moves at the deadline potentially bigger splashes for players with term that wouldn't fit into our cap structure if they are going to re-sign Pete. This is a simple concept. 

Once they have a deal in place for Pete they can sign Hronek and figure out which RFA's we can afford to keep which we will have to let go and how much we have left to fill out the roster. So ya Pete's unwillingness to negotiate is quite a pickle. 

Are you suggesting we sould re sign Hronek, Dak, Blueger, De Smith, etc then begin negotiations w Pete? 

200.gif

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Don't be ridiculous. You don't trade Pete until the offseason after the playoffs if that's the route we have to go. 

I'm saying what they do at the deadline will depend on how contract negotiations are going with Pete. If Pete is not going to be re-signed by us then MGMT can make different moves at the deadline potentially bigger splashes for players with term that wouldn't fit into our cap structure if they are going to re-sign Pete. This is a simple concept. 

Once they have a deal in place for Pete they can sign Hronek and figure out which RFA's we can afford to keep which we will have to let go and how much we have left to fill out the roster. So ya Pete's unwillingness to negotiate is quite a pickle. 

Are you suggesting we sould re sign Hronek, Dak, Blueger, De Smith, etc then begin negotiations w Pete? 

200.gif

hronek should already be negotiated with? who cares about dak bluegar and desmith.. they are 3rd liners and backup goalie having career year on a contract year.. if they are asking anything close to 3mil then don't even have to bother negotiating.. there are plenty of goalie that  have better stats than desmith and have lower cap hit

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

hronek should already be negotiated with? who cares about dak bluegar and desmith.. they are 3rd liners and backup goalie having career year on a contract year.. if they are asking anything close to 3mil then don't even have to bother negotiating.. there are plenty of goalie that  have better stats than desmith and have lower cap hit

So you're saying we should trade Hronek at the DL because he's un signed. Lol kidding 

I don't know why you shifted the convo to Hronek. Pete is the issue. Hronek will get done regardless. It's a non issue. 

Pete either being a part of our future or not has big implications on what management can do at the DL. I don't understand what the dispute is? That seems pretty straightforward 

So you're saying we should trade Hronek at the DL because he's un signed. Lol kidding 

I don't know why you shifted the convo to Hronek. Pete is the issue. Hronek will get done regardless. It's a non issue. 

Pete either being a part of our future or not has big implications on what management can do at the DL. I don't understand what the dispute is? That seems pretty straightforward 

So why do we just assume hronek will automatically be done while EP is guaranteed to not be done? Like they haven’t even began discussing with hronek. Do we even know what he’s looking for? Ppl just assume it’s 6.5-7 what if he’s looking for more or closer to 8? What Hughes signed for have 0 implication on what hronek will ask for. Hughes signed coming off one of the worse defensive season. His agent is going to point at Reilly Chabot ekblad orlov. It’s not a foregone conclusion we won’t run into issues on salary on hronek. 

you are the one that’s saying ep is a distraction to this team because he doesn’t want negotiate during the season and cause distraction for himself. 

200.gif

I think we could at least be talking to Dak about a 4 years at $2m. Some guys are throwing out 3m like its nothing, but he is currently at $750K so anything over 2M we let him go....

I think he would sign now, take the first bite of the pie.

Myers should be asking for a low extension now, before the team has already spent everything, if he wants to stay here (which I think he does) I think he would even take the league minimum!

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

So why do we just assume hronek will automatically be done while EP is guaranteed to not be done? Like they haven’t even began discussing with hronek. Do we even know what he’s looking for? Ppl just assume it’s 6.5-7 what if he’s looking for more or closer to 8? What Hughes signed for have 0 implication on what hronek will ask for. Hughes signed coming off one of the worse defensive season. His agent is going to point at Reilly Chabot ekblad orlov. It’s not a foregone conclusion we won’t run into issues on salary on hronek. 

you are the one that’s saying ep is a distraction to this team because he doesn’t want negotiate during the season and cause distraction for himself. 

I think Hronek will probably come in around 7.8 just under what Quinn's making now. Regardless, it's not apples to apples comparing Hronek to Pete situation one's likely in line for a contract pushing 100 million. The other is not. You have to get Pete's deal done before you put pen to paper with the others. No one's assuming that he won't be here next year. The point is we need to know if he is or not this deadline so we know what moves we can and can't make. There's no point in wasting a bunch of assets fora top 6 FWD if we can't afford them once Pete's deal is done. But if Pete's got one foot out the door then absolutely go after a top 6 and try to sign Lindholm in the offseason and ship Petey off. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/14/2024 at 7:20 AM, HKSR said:

...we trade him to Minnesota.  They have struggled to get a 1C in their system for a long time.

To MIN:

Petey

To VAN:

Boldy

Faber

1st

With this move, we can afford to keep a lot of guys from this year.

Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Boldy

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

Mikheyev-Suter-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Faber

Zadorov-Tanev (as UFA)

Stanley Cup here we come!

I'm in the minority here but I'd probably trade Petey after this season regardless of what happens this season.  11+ million dollar cap hits are killers to any team no matter how good the player is.  

To Columbus:  Pettersson 

To Buffalo:  Owen Power++

Let Myers walk + re-sign Lindholm, Bluegar, DeSmith, etc.  

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Lekkerimaki

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Podkolzin-Raty-Lafferty

Hughes-???

Power-Hronek

Soucy-Zadorov

Demko

DeSmith

I will give EP the benefit of him wanting to focus on the season. But whenever our season ends, at least 2 weeks before the nhl draft he must start negotiating a new deal with us or if he still is undecided at our around the draft you start to listen to offers for him.

lets hop EP finishes the year strong and is dominate in the playoffs. This cementing his want to remain in Vancouver and sign a long term deal.

No way they make that deal, Boldy alone might end up being better than Petey, he's at a PPG at just 22yo and runs the show over there. Faber could be the next Adam Fox. No chance. Maybe one of them + 1st + prospect gets it done.

We're at a weird position where we don't really need or want 1sts but top players who are ideally young and in their prime. Hate to say it but Boston would be a good trading partner. They need a 1C. Not sure if they'd want Petey but something like Zacha/Coyle + Carlo/Lindholm + prospect/1st would fit both team's needs.

On 2/13/2024 at 3:20 PM, HKSR said:

...we trade him to Minnesota.  They have struggled to get a 1C in their system for a long time.

To MIN:

Petey

To VAN:

Boldy

Faber

1st

With this move, we can afford to keep a lot of guys from this year.

Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Boldy

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

Mikheyev-Suter-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Faber

Zadorov-Tanev (as UFA)

Stanley Cup here we come!

Replace Boldy with Eriksson Ek, make the 1st unprotected, and I'm in.

On 2/13/2024 at 3:56 PM, Miss Korea said:

Your numbers are wrong.  They should have $10M in cap space this summer.  That's all they got.  They need to sign at least 4 forwards, 3 defenceman, and 1 goalie with that money.  If Pettersson signs for something around $11M, Now you have $7M in cap space, and you have to get an EXTRA defenceman.  I actually don't think it's mathematically possible even by adding 9 guys at minimum wage.

Not that I am advocating this trade for the value posted, not quite the Godfather variety to pry Petey out of Vancouver in my ever so humble opinion, but could not the following work:

Contract 1 - signed as a qualifying offer and runs for 2024 - 2025 

Contract 2 - signed for market value (whatever that is) and runs from 2025 - 2026 to 2033 - 2034

Both contracts signed at the same time or is there a rule against having move than 1 contract executed at any given time by a player even if they don't overlap?

1 minute ago, Rocket-68 said:

Not that I am advocating this trade for the value posted, not quite the Godfather variety to pry Petey out of Vancouver in my ever so humble opinion, but could not the following work:

Contract 1 - signed as a qualifying offer and runs for 2024 - 2025 

Contract 2 - signed for market value (whatever that is) and runs from 2025 - 2026 to 2033 - 2034

Both contracts signed at the same time or is there a rule against having move than 1 contract executed at any given time by a player even if they don't overlap?

You can't do that. If he signs a 1 year contract he can't sign a follow up contract until Jan 1st 2025.  I'm not sure why he would want too to begin with. What the upside to Pettersson to do jt the way you suggested? 

I don’t like the excuse that petey isn’t signing because he wants to focus on the season and not be a distraction. Well if he wanted to do that he could have signed before the season started and not caused a distraction. At this point he’s handcuffing our management on making moves.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

You can't do that. If he signs a 1 year contract he can't sign a follow up contract until Jan 1st 2025.  I'm not sure why he would want too to begin with. What the upside to Pettersson to do jt the way you suggested? 

I thought there might be a rule against that but the "upside", if was possible, would be to help a team get past a financial strain (i.e. the $14M+ Minnesota has on the books for 1 more year, and gets a bank contract for a full 8 years starting the following year for a team said player (in this case Petey) would really want to play long term for .... and no (1) I am not saying Petey wants out of Vancouver and (2) if he wanted out that his dream destination was Minnesota Wild ... just an academic exercise. 

Edited by Rocket-68

8 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I don’t like the excuse that petey isn’t signing because he wants to focus on the season and not be a distraction. Well if he wanted to do that he could have signed before the season started and not caused a distraction. At this point he’s handcuffing our management on making moves.

Ya, while management isn't saying much other than "our priority is to get Petey signed", drama has been created, the uncertainty is a bit alarming to management, fans, players,, etc. and I would bet dollars to donuts that absolutely PA / JR are answering phone calls with more enthusiasm than "it is our job to" at this point. IF and that is a BIG IF, Petey was moved before the TDL given the player and where the team is at (SCF aspirations), it would be for a kings ransom - otherwise PA / JR would be lynched from the Roger Neilsen statue outside the arena.

One thing that is absolutely certain was JR saying "we control him for one more year so we have leverage" [paraphrasing].

Edited by Rocket-68