[PGT] Canucks at Shithawks - 02/13/24

PhillipBlunt

Just now, RomanPer said:

Sorry, small correction - he was given double minor on Booth cross check. And then Department of not Canucks Player Safety gave him just $5,000 fine for all these shenanigans...

Fair enough. Thanks for the correction. Nice research!

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Johnny said:

See even though Garland is producing at the moment his cap hit is about a million too high

the canucks have a history of over paying bottom six forwards and 5-7 dmen. This needs to end, over paid players dont win and teams with over paid bottom six player millions in dead cap certainly aren’t crowding the playoffs

I'd say it has ended with this management team.... 

JTs contract and Bo being shipped out showed the management no longer was push overs. 
Garlands contract is a million too much. Agree 100% on that, as he doesn't PK and are not a crash and bang, so when he is off, for what ever reason like last year, he is not worth $5M. Atm he probably is though... that line is worth its weight in gold, but only as long as they produce...

However players like Joshua, who can score, make plays, skate, hit, fight and PK are expensive. That's not your ordinary bottom 6 player. 
If Garland goes this summer, I wouldn't be surprised to see Joshua get a stint in the top 6....

Other than that I agree, that costs of the bottom 6 has to be kept low. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Vancouver has Edmonton's number. They clearly know their weaknesses and how to exploit them. 

4 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Possibly. They definitely did at the start of the season. But Edmonton is clearly a much different team than they were. So are the Canucks, but I wouldn't want to face them in the first round. They have enough skill to put up a good fight for at least 1 series.

Exactly, thinking we have Edmonton's # based on those 3 early season games would be a massive mistake. I think we match up pretty well against them though. Colorado, Vegas, and St. Louis are not the best matchups imo.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Sorry, small correction - he was given double minor on Booth cross check. And then Department of not Canucks Player Safety gave him just $5,000 fine for all these shenanigans...

Thanks, one thing that bothered me that game was that no one stepped up and pounded Hanzal's face in that game - not that I recall nor saw in the video you posted. 

If it was Game 2 in the SCF and a player (Tavares, Rielly, Reaves, whomever) knocked Petey out of the game, I would expect Big Zeke or someone else capable to skate up to said player, check him into the 5th row before proceeding to knock as many teeth out of their face as possible. If the result was a 3 game suspension for Big Zeke while Petey was back for game 5, Tocchet would be patting his back on the way down the tunnel and if I was around when Zeke walked into a bar I was in, I would be buying him a shot of Louis XIII.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Thanks, one thing that bothered me that game was that no one stepped up and pounded Hanzal's face in that game - not that I recall nor saw in the video you posted. 

If it was Game 2 in the SCF and a player (Tavares, Rielly, Reaves, whomever) knocked Petey out of the game, I would expect Big Zeke or someone else capable to skate up to said player, check him into the 5th row before proceeding to knock as many teeth out of their face as possible. If the result was a 3 game suspension for Big Zeke while Petey was back for game 5, Tocchet would be patting his back on the way down the tunnel and if I was around when Zeke walked into a bar I was in, I would be buying him a shot of Louis XIII.

In the next game against Arizona, Tom Sestito, I believe, tried to challenge Hanzal and he didn't fight.

22 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Beating EDM will take a crap ton of discipline. I think we can play that way, but we'll need to stay out of the box. So game management might loom large.

Based on what we saw last game with the Lafferty and Cole penalties the refs will call anything at any time without shame.

Doesn’t matter how disciplined you are if they decide they wanna make a call you’re going to the box.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He had the size, but not the balls to back it up, as he turned away from answering the bell. Would rather have a big player who's honorable than a coward. 

Watch the video. He wasn't given a penalty even though all three were prime examples of infractions that should have been and could have been suspension worthy. Especially the one on Booth. 

Just another example of why knuckle draggers are pretty much extinct. They're useless ... players who can actually play hockey have all realized they don't need to fight anyone and just skate away from players like Bitz and Sestito. They didn't stop Hanzal before or after injuring three of our players.

45 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly, thinking we have Edmonton's # based on those 3 early season games would be a massive mistake. I think we match up pretty against them though. Colorado, Vegas, and St. Louis are not the best matchups imo.

The last 2 games against Edmonton the strategy is give the Oilers all the shots they want but keep them to the outside.  Let them tire themselves out in the 1st and let them get frustrated by Demko.  A couple breaks the other way and in a blink the Canucks are up 2-0 while being outshot 15-3 

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Just another example of why knuckle draggers are pretty much extinct. They're useless ... players who can actually play hockey have all realized they don't need to fight anyone and just skate away from players like Bitz and Sestito. They didn't stop Hanzal before or after injuring three of our players.

I think Hanzal didn't fight anyone mainly because he was a cowardly soul and wasn't very good at it. 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I thought Lindholm looked good with Petey and Higz, hopefully they give them a chance to build chemistry

I thought they looked good too. Tocchet in his post-game mentioned that they've been moving Lindholm around a lot and he wanted to give him a chance to build some chemistry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Of the teams who made it to the final...whom would you consider Cinderalla?   Maybe NSH.   MTL for sure.   St. Louis won a cup.   The rest of them were good teams before.    Don't get many shots at this.   See a four year window, then we are likely mediocre for awhile.    Quite a few regular playoff teams like St. Louis, just never get a shot.    32 teams.    Can see why that the strategy needs to be both striking the iron when it's hot, and giving the team a wide window.    This team, is hot so keep pounding away.   Next year and the remainder of QHs current deal, seems like a fair window for them. 

On the other hand. Tampa's  attempt after leading the league, they got wiped out by Columbus in 2019.

Then they won the next two cups in a row.

Wouldn't you rather have a team that can win every year, than just going for a hail mary?

4 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

7 years is just too much. Joshua plays a physical game you never know injuries can happen. I don’t see any team out there giving him more than 3 or 4 years.

I agree but someone will offer him more than 4 years...so we need to be cognizant of that

3 hours ago, Johnny said:

See even though Garland is producing at the moment his cap hit is about a million too high

the canucks have a history of over paying bottom six forwards and 5-7 dmen. This needs to end, over paid players dont win and teams with over paid bottom six player millions in dead cap certainly aren’t crowding the playoffs

I'd would have agree with you about Garland in November, but right now with how important he is to the 3rd line I'd say he is not being overpaid.  Right now we're getting great value out of Garland.  Mikheyev is another story, he was never going to be worth that contract. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Based on what we saw last game with the Lafferty and Cole penalties the refs will call anything at any time without shame.

Doesn’t matter how disciplined you are if they decide they wanna make a call you’re going to the box.

that's what I'm getting at, the refs can decide how a game will go. Does EDM likely get some late 3rd period calls if they are behind? you betcha. The Canucks will simply have to be better than the ref's if it goes that way. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I'd would have agree with you about Garland in November, but right now with how important he is to the 3rd line I'd say he is not being overpaid.  Right now we're getting great value out of Garland.  Mikheyev is another story, he was never going to be worth that contract. 

If he could step up and continue this pace on the second line I would agree, but he has shown he struggles a bit and his production falls off

I do agree he is great right now but again 5 million is too much for a bottom six winger that doesnt have much more away from playmaking

Its big picture stuff, im really not shitting on anyone on the third line, there just isnt that kind of money to go around

Maybe on a team that doesnt have a strong top 6 but I wouls bet money that their production would take a nose dive

Once again, they are getting easier matchups because we have such a strong top 6

• Cheers 1

No more weak west coast hippie hockey! We're never going to win that way.

I've said it for years. We need to be more like eastern teams both mentally and physically, also in edge and attitude. One reason we haven't been able to do that is because it goes against the grain of chill west coast culture.

Enter JR, PA, and Tocchet who all recognize this and have remained focused in creating that new edgier culture. They're proven winners. 

We're never going to win with a bunch of nice guys. Linden has even said this in the past. You need a variety of guys who bring different things to the team. Some of those things are going to make people uncomfortable but you need those guys to make other teams uncomfortable. 

Playoffs are coming!

We need to toughen up, not worry about "nice", push back, be fearless, embrace the aggressive, elevate our battle, don't back down, meet grit for grit, be relentless, play physical, and lean into the uncomfortable. 

We have to finally be willing to do what it really takes to win. 

• Tank 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, The Duke said:

I agree it’ll be next to impossible keeping that 3rd together.  However, we do have Suter who is a quality 3C if we can’t afford to bring back Bleuger. It’s Joshua that is likely gone and difficult to replace (Podkolzin?)

I think Podkolzin is definitely going to be expected to contribute next season, possibly in Joshua's role. If Abbotsford's season ends early and the Canucks go deep but have injury trouble, then there's also the possibility of seeing him up sooner which might help provide some insight for next season.

I'm sure it's already been discussed but Bains will presumably get a serious opportunity to make the roster, presumably in a bottom 6 capacity, but who knows. I would think Karlsson will also get a chance if management can convince him to stay in North America, and depending on the moves they make this summer.

I'm very curious if we'll see Raty up next season. From what I understand, he's still waiver exempt until 2025 so I assume he'll receive more seasoning in the AHL unless he breaks the doors down in training camp.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Beating EDM will take a crap ton of discipline. I think we can play that way, but we'll need to stay out of the box. So game management might loom large.

Yup, absolutely huge against the Oilers. Best way to not to be a victim of "game management" is to simply not make any illegal plays.

At the end of just about any game you will have had penalties, and the other team will also have had penalties. If you kill off more of your penalties than the opposition you have a good chance of winning. Comparing penalties, agreeing with or disagreeing with them, and searching for missed calls and similar instances where penalties could have been called or not called is not really how the game works and is a big waste of time.

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Juulsen has made a lot of progress this year.  I did not think that guys in their mid-20s could make the amount of progress that Juulsen has this year but I obviously underestimated what good developmental coaching can do. Getting good developmental coaches is another area were JR gets an "A" and Benning gets an "F".

Myers' biggest weakness is always going to be his mental game. He gets flustered, panics, and does stupid things. But he does have good points and I thought he was pretty good last night.  We do not have a high quality 2nd pairing, but they are "ok". The D overall is good with maybe the best pairing in the league at #1 to go with a good 3rd pairing and an ok second pairing.

Juulson has about 100 NHL games under his belt. They were saying last night that a d-man needs 150 - 200 games to get his NHL game down. This is why I advocate for Juulson to get 18 minutes of TOI until April. That said I suspect the coaching already know what they have. If PA does not make any moves on the d-core before the TDL it will be a vote of confidence in both Meyers and Juulson. 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, absolutely huge against the Oilers. Best way to not to be a victim of "game management" is to simply not make any illegal plays.

true, but yesterday there were a couple of ridiculous ones. 

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

At the end of just about any game you will have had penalties, and the other team will also have had penalties. If you kill off more of your penalties than the opposition you have a good chance of winning. Comparing penalties, agreeing with or disagreeing with them, and searching for missed calls and similar instances where penalties could have been called or not called is not really how the game works and is a big waste of time.

its really more about the timing of them. Sure at the end of the game they might be even but if the team down by 1 gets gifted one in the last 5 minutes, that one looms larger. 

But it is what it is. The guys have to work through all kinds of adversity and this might be part of it, it may not be. Just have to wait and find out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1