[PGT] Canucks at Shithawks - 02/13/24

PhillipBlunt

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Hanzal didn't fight anyone mainly because he was a cowardly soul and wasn't very good at it. 

Maybe, I don't really know or care about Hanzal, either way the enforcers were useless in the whole scenario was my point.

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Let's talk about the Canucks player development coaching staff.  Not just on the big team but the AHL as well.  

In the big club Juulsen, Joshua, Aman, Hoglander, the players willing to learn and get better can do it with this coaching staff.  Other than Podkolzin and Hoglander, all these players developing into NHL studs were all acquired by this Pro Scouting staff.  Their talent is evaluating talent and in that department they're in another league. 

Excellent post! We're actually now at the point in the future where we wanted to be and talked about five years ago.

Also just look at how others like Bains are succeeding. And we still have Silovs and Tolopilo, plus still to come D-Petey, Willander, Lekkeramaki. 

The organization finally got it right with the right people. It's remarkable and impressive what's happening in such a short amount of time. 

We are so fortunate to have this type of alignment, decision making, and caliber of talent in the organization. 

10 hours ago, spook007 said:

Quick recap...

Georgie Howe Hatrick

3rd line rocks

Happy Hronek day

Last game of this weird early starting road trip. Team did what they had to do to win the game....

Now home for some home cooking and recharging the batteries.

PS. And eh...... Don't get eliminated.... 🙂

Happy Hronek, Spook! 😉

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, absolutely huge against the Oilers. Best way to not to be a victim of "game management" is to simply not make any illegal plays.

At the end of just about any game you will have had penalties, and the other team will also have had penalties. If you kill off more of your penalties than the opposition you have a good chance of winning. Comparing penalties, agreeing with or disagreeing with them, and searching for missed calls and similar instances where penalties could have been called or not called is not really how the game works and is a big waste of time.

I would rather the canucks take a bunch of penalties in the first half the game that are for Boarding, roughing, ect, and then the "game management" kicks in and the other team gets penalized for hooking, interference, or unsportsmanlike.

Or we piss the other team off so much they take a bunch of instigating and majors.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

I would rather the canucks take a bunch of penalties in the first half the game that are for Boarding, roughing, ect, and then the "game management" kicks in and the other team gets penalized for hooking, interference, or unsportsmanlike.

Or we piss the other team off so much they take a bunch of instigating and majors.

Well said. If we're taking those early penalties because we're being pushed around, bullied, and they're a result of us pushing back, so be it. You need to send that message and can't be afraid. You have to bet on yourself to PK and not ne insecure. Especially if you know you're a good team. 

Tocchet of all people knows this. If those are the penalties we're willing to take, then we need to be even more disciplined and not reckless. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Based on what we saw last game with the Lafferty and Cole penalties the refs will call anything at any time without shame.

Doesn’t matter how disciplined you are if they decide they wanna make a call you’re going to the box.

Which is why we should take some real penalties on just being rough, in your face, borderline boarding. Edmonton will retaliate maybe... but at least we dont get bullshit hooking or interference calls.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well said. If we're taking those early penalties because we're being pushed around, bullied, and they're a result of us pushing back, so be it. You need to send that message and can't be afraid. You have to bet on yourself to PK and not ne insecure. Especially if you know you're a good team. 

Tocchet of all people knows this. If those are the penalties we're willing to take, then we need to be even more disciplined and not reckless. 

not only that, penalties of that sort motivate the PK to kill it off, even if its a major.

our PK sucks when its a too many men on ice, or delay of game. Or a BS call.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

true, but yesterday there were a couple of ridiculous ones. 

Oh yeah, even I saw how bad that first one was. :frantic: But I also understood that they simply screwed up and made a mistake. At the end of the day you just have to kill off the penalties you get. Complaining ad nauseum or searching for comparables in the same game doesn't really accomplish much of anything for a fan, or a player. Penalties and how you deal with them is a huge part of the game, especially come playoff time.

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its really more about the timing of them. Sure at the end of the game they might be even but if the team down by 1 gets gifted one in the last 5 minutes, that one looms larger. 

But it is what it is. The guys have to work through all kinds of adversity and this might be part of it, it may not be. Just have to wait and find out. 

Yeah, the timing can certainly be the determining factor in a game, which is why we need to have rock solid discipline when the game is on the line. That's really the best defence. Don't give the referees a chance to make a wishy wash call. Good teams also know they will get bad calls from time to time. It's how you deal with it that counts, there really is no other alternative.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Reznor said:

Thanks for your opinion. Just because we're #1 (and I'm very happy about that), doesn't mean the team can't use improvements to help get it through a grueling playoffs.

And why does a club that’s dominating the league need to detract from next season to add to this season? Your opinion assumes other clubs don’t have holes and that our holes are more significant than those below us. Of course any team could improve. But do we actually need to when compared to other clubs? In the opinion of the Enpties - NO! We are already better than those puck suckers and their loser fans and stinky cities. 

25 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Oh yeah, even I saw how bad that first one was. :frantic: But I also understood that they simply screwed up and made a mistake. At the end of the day you just have to kill off the penalties you get. Complaining ad nauseum or searching for comparables in the same game doesn't really accomplish much of anything for a fan, or a player. Penalties and how you deal with them is a huge part of the game, especially come playoff time.

Yeah, the timing can certainly be the determining factor in a game, which is why we need to have rock solid discipline when the game is on the line. That's really the best defence. Don't give the referees a chance to make a wishy wash call. Good teams also know they will get bad calls from time to time. It's how you deal with it that counts, there really is no other alternative.

Yep 100% I prefer the 'dont make the refs call one's option

Where we might get screwed is on physical play by Myers...

41 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

That sounds like the worst plan ever created in the history of the game. My goodness lol 🙊

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Myers physical play is what has been missing. Would rather get a real penalty on myers for laying out Matthews than the refs calling him for being bigger than the other guy when he pinches on the boards.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Myers physical play is what has been missing. Would rather get a real penalty on myers for laying out Matthews than the refs calling him for being bigger than the other guy when he pinches on the boards.

In that instance for sure 😃

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That sounds like the worst plan ever created in the history of the game. My goodness lol 🙊

Thats what Boston did 2011. They took so many calls for being hard on the sedins, and Canucks didnt capitalize. Then when the balance refs called crap on the canucks for stuff that sucked, the PK couldnt get motivated. or Luongo was distracted about how weak the call was

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

not only that, penalties of that sort motivate the PK to kill it off, even if its a major.

our PK sucks when its a too many men on ice, or delay of game. Or a BS call.

100% on the motivation factor. It's deeper incentive after accepting risk. The other penalties put you on your heels. The penalties you're referring to give the PK forward mindset.

Have to be smart with risk. But most of all ...

Can't be afraid. Can't be insecure. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

In that instance for sure 😃

ok, well another example.... when Joshua instigates against a guy who takes out Garly on the boards, and beats the crap out of him, There is no way our PK and Demko would ever let the other team score on the consequences.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yeah, that's always the danger with having big, physical, in your face players like Myers and Zadorov. I remember Vegas' and Florida's more physical guys taking some "over" aggressive penalties last year. They just killed them off and built on the momentum.

• Thanks 1