[PGT] Canucks at Shithawks - 02/13/24

PhillipBlunt

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, that's always the danger with having big, physical, in your face players like Myers and Zadorov. I remember Vegas' and Florida's more physical guys taking some "over" aggressive penalties last year. They just killed them off and built on the momentum.

Exactly.

It doesnt matter how "disciplined we are" if the other team has 4 penalties of any kind, we are getting the stupid calls that confuse our PK and distract Demko.

Dont you notice how its always the bad calls that suck the life out of the PK.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Thats what Boston did 2011. They took so many calls for being hard on the sedins, and Canucks didnt capitalize. Then when the balance refs called crap on the canucks for stuff that sucked, the PK couldnt get motivated. or Luongo was distracted about how weak the call was

Oh geez, the 2011 thing again from you? Your take on hockey is simply bizarre. This is just a whole bunch of dumb all rolled into one. Luongo was distracted by how weak the call was? :picard:

I'm sorry, 'taking a bunch of early penalties", on purpose, is an utterly ridiculous plan man. Block lol.

Edited by Gawdzukes

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think Podkolzin is definitely going to be expected to contribute next season, possibly in Joshua's role. If Abbotsford's season ends early and the Canucks go deep but have injury trouble, then there's also the possibility of seeing him up sooner which might help provide some insight for next season.

I'm sure it's already been discussed but Bains will presumably get a serious opportunity to make the roster, presumably in a bottom 6 capacity, but who knows. I would think Karlsson will also get a chance if management can convince him to stay in North America, and depending on the moves they make this summer.

I'm very curious if we'll see Raty up next season. From what I understand, he's still waiver exempt until 2025 so I assume he'll receive more seasoning in the AHL unless he breaks the doors down in training camp.

The potential of losing some UFAs stinks but at least we have Bains / Pods / Lekkerimaki (and Karlsson) playing pretty well.

Will be very interesting to see how management approaches this offseason. 

Raty is a great question, too. With Suter under contract for one more year (and Aman in the fold) they have the luxury of letting him cook one more year unless he really forces the issue.  Sasson has had a great season, too, and is older.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, The Duke said:

The potential of losing some UFAs stinks but at least we have Bains / Pods / Lekkerimaki (and Karlsson) playing pretty well.

Will be very interesting to see how management approaches this offseason. 

Raty is a great question, too. With Suter under contract for one more year (and Aman in the fold) they have the luxury of letting him cook one more year unless he really forces the issue.  Sasson has had a great season, too, and is older.

They're building this the right way. For the past few years we've needed unexpected guys to emerge and expected guys to hit.

We're putting on the proper investment into developing these guys - look at Juulsen, Karlsson, Bains, Aman, Hoglander, etc ... I'm hopeful for Pods and Raty given our guys having success. 

We're in good shape. This is what we've needed. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Thats what Boston did 2011. They took so many calls for being hard on the sedins, and Canucks didnt capitalize. Then when the balance refs called crap on the canucks for stuff that sucked, the PK couldnt get motivated. or Luongo was distracted about how weak the call was

That's exactly what Boston did in 2011. No one has to forget it nor should they. Once we stop being afraid and do what it really takes to win, we'll overcome that legacy.

The reality is, Boston is still a benchmark/measuring post for us, and will be until we get that monkey off our back. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

That's exactly what Boston did in 2011. No one has to forget it nor should they. Once we stop being afraid and do what it really takes to win, we'll overcome that legacy.

The reality is, Boston is still a benchmark/measuring post for us, and will be until we get that monkey off our back. 

I’m 2011 Boston had the father of one of their players as a head guy (officiating) in the NHL offices. We had no chance even though we were the better club. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Well that's definitely not true, however the bruins are cowards for not playing at 7pm when they're in Vancouver.

Just in case there are any Boston people trolling our board Alf wants them to know their city is shithole and they are loserdoodles. 

• Haha 4

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic
38 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

How do we go about doing that? Beat them in the SCF ...

By beating them at their own physical and mental game, not being afraid, not being manhandled, not allowing them to intimidate us, beating them convincingly, decisively as the best team in the league ... in their barn and ours.

Not getting lucky. Not squeaking one out.

They key words here are convincingly and decisively.

By us making statements against them rather than them still making statements against us. 

We're still not really seeing that transition all these years later.

We have the opportunity coming up when they're here. We're the best team in the league. We need to make that statement.

Or ... you know ... we could lose 4-0 again and be fine with that. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

By beating them at their own physical and mental game, not being afraid, not being manhandled, not allowing them to intimidate us, beating them convincingly, decisively as the best team in the league ... in their barn and ours.

By us making statements against them rather than them still making statements against us. 

We have the opportunity coming up when they're here. We're the best team in the league. We need to make that statement.

I hope the top lines actually show up soon, especially against Boston. Have defense wield its strength against that loathsome team and shut them down. 

• Cheers 1

On 2/14/2024 at 11:54 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

There isn't a team in the league that will beat this team 4 out of 7. 

Really? Both St. Louis and Philly are 2-0 against us. Teams HAVE found ways to win. 

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

And why does a club that’s dominating the league need to detract from next season to add to this season? Your opinion assumes other clubs don’t have holes and that our holes are more significant than those below us. Of course any team could improve. But do we actually need to when compared to other clubs? In the opinion of the Enpties - NO! We are already better than those puck suckers and their loser fans and stinky cities. 

Winning a cup is hard. One could have said that our team back in 2011 was pretty solid too, and I'm not so sure it really had any significant holes except perhaps for a lack of physicality. Unfortunately, the Canucks couldn't match to Boston's physicality and it lost us that series. (Besides the 1-sided reffing). As far as I know, the idea is to give your team the best chance possible, when possible. Success is fleeting, so I think once a team decides they are going for it, you might as well truly go for it. 

• Cheers 1

On 2/14/2024 at 12:21 PM, DeNiro said:

Based on what we saw last game with the Lafferty and Cole penalties the refs will call anything at any time without shame.

Doesn’t matter how disciplined you are if they decide they wanna make a call you’re going to the box.

That's true.  A lot of calls against the Canucks were terrible.  Especially the Lafferty and the Myers penalties, they were a joke. But with no accountability they can do what they want.  Imagine the NHL being held accountable like they demand accountability for each NHL team.  The couch is out taking questions and being held accountable every day.  

Why are the refs above scrutiny?  It's Bush League

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Haha, then throw them a little party after. It doesn't matter if you win or lose it's how you play the game ... F that lol. 🤣

Haha, yeah I unfortunately missed most of the game, only one all year. Maybe I'd be more pissed as some people were if I saw the whole debacle. I'll be watching eagerly on the return visit. Hopefully we smoke them good. Would be a nice statement for this season and a good confidence booster. The new "(social)media narrative" apparently is that we have trouble with the top teams, which is bs!

I guess we'll have to wait until next year for the both barns thing but I don't think most of our current team cares specifically about Boston. Maybe you're right though and we should be teaching them the history. Frankly, I'm simply happy this group has figured out how to beat most teams and win consistently. Next year ... Revenge !!!

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

That's true.  A lot of calls against the Canucks were terrible.  Especially the Lafferty and the Myers penalties, they were a joke. But with no accountability they can do what they want.  Imagine the NHL being held accountable like they demand accountability for each NHL team.  The couch is out taking questions and being held accountable every day.  

Why are the refs above scrutiny?  It's Bush League

I think they actually are held accountable. They're just not paraded in front of media hounds to be interrogated by idiots. I can see how that would be a bad idea. Here's an interesting article I found:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/opinion-what-can-we-really-do-about-nhl-officiating

It's also fair to talk about refs who are consistent problems. But it's always going to take a good deal of time to (a) identify them and (b) weed them out. And again, what are the alternatives to the current refereeing situation? Is there a hidden island somewhere where the human beings on it are far and away better referees than the ones we have now? To ask that question is to answer it. 

Barking at the refs isn’t going to go away. But you’re best advised not to work yourself into a lather over the people in stripes. They’re going to make mistakes, and sometimes it’s going to affect one team more than another team. That’s not on purpose. Good teams, and great players, find a way to thrive in spite of missed or mistaken calls. 

This last part couldn't be more true imo.

And from a google search:

There is accountability for NHL officials, believe it or not, even if they're now shielded from reporters and never hung out to dry by the league. There's a logger watching each game in the league's situation room, jotting down notes on every penalty — and every perceived missed call — throughout the game.Apr 26, 2023

On 2/16/2024 at 7:03 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

2 games does not a series win. I'm still extremely confident they could wipe both those teams in a best of 7, even though it's unlikely they face either in the playoffs this year. 

To be fair, me too. But I too am extremely confident in this team, moreso than their record has suggested they would fare.

• 2 weeks later...